MandoTiM

MandoTiM's Photos

A while since I've posted. A few shots taken at this year's National Folk Festival in Canberra, indoors, under stage lighting.

Using a D200 with iso1600+, reasonable shutter speeds but very grainy as one would expect. Have post processed, reduced

luminance noise, cropped and adjusted white balance.

Small thumbnails linked to the original sized shots, note these are ~4Mb in size each.

The Alan Kelly Gang

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Battlefield Band

Posted Image

Nice shots. Live performance is a pain to shoot, especially if you don't have access to go anywhere you want.

crowds to work with, Low light - or bright contrasting spotlights, and the artists are usually moving.

I like the last one - and not just because there's a dude with a huge beard playing bagpipes.

Nice shots. Live performance is a pain to shoot, especially if you don't have access to go anywhere you want.

crowds to work with, Low light - or bright contrasting spotlights, and the artists are usually moving.

I like the last one - and not just because there's a dude with a huge beard playing bagpipes.

One of the advantages of this festival is that access to the area immediately in front of the band is relatively easy.

That said all of these shots are taken either from the side (TBFB) or from the third row, again another advantage of a small(ish) festival, access to good seats is easy.

and Antraman

I did reduce luminance noise which gives the shots a somewhat 'smooth' colour texture which, close-up, looks a little artificial.

Better in the smaller thumbnails. in fact all of the AKG were taken at 3200. No flash was used in any of them.

A while since I've posted some shots. These taken over the last week in WA - Fremantle, Cottesloe and the Burrup. I've just taken delivery of a new Nikkor 50mm f1.8, mainly to use with the D800E (when it arrives) but I thought I'd test it out on the D200 first off. Surprised just how sharp the shots were even with the D200, can't wait to test it out on the 800E... All of the these smaller shots link to larger copies.

Fremantle Boat Harbour

Posted Image

Cottesloe Beach

Posted Image

Aboriginal Artefacts on the Burrup

Posted Image

I think this was the Angel Platform or was it Pluto...

Posted Image

Surprised how well the shot of the platform came out given the backlight from the sun and that it was taken from a bumpy 737 flying over the rig.

I like the boat one the best, though the rocks one is interesting.

I always seem to get headaches when looking at light reflecting on the ocean, so don't really go for that one.

A couple of posts here, mostly due to the number of shots, again all thumbnails linked to full sized jpgs.

All shots taken at the Maroochydore Botanic Gardens, an odd place, a little off the beaten track and quite possible to miss if you didn't know it existed. Obviously a favourite of the locals as the placed was packed by noon on a normal Saturday, hate to think what is like on a public holiday. Located just west off the Bruce Highway, north of theMaroochydore and south of the Nambour turn-offs. A lovely piece of rainforest surrounded by a much drier environment. All shots Nikon D200, 50mmG f1.8 standard lens. Some cropping, enhanced vibrance and saturation, some modified luminance noise, some sharpening.

Ferns

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grevilleas

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple of posts here, mostly due to the number of shots, again all thumbnails linked to full sized jpgs.

All shots taken at the Maroochydore Botanic Gardens, an odd place, a little off the beaten track and quite possible to miss if you didn't know it existed. Obviously a favourite of the locals as the placed was packed by noon on a normal Saturday, hate to think what is like on a public holiday. Located just west off the Bruce Highway, north of theMaroochydore and south of the Nambour turn-offs. A lovely piece of rainforest surrounded by a much drier environment. All shots Nikon D200, 50mmG f1.8 standard lens. Some cropping, enhanced vibrance and saturation, some modified luminance noise, some sharpening.

ARRGH! I've created thumbnails with links to larger files, went back and editied another earlier post that was just showing the larger files to include thumbnails, then saved the edited post and suddenly the post has small postage stamped shots with links to the thumbnails... What is it with these damn thumbnails on the AMPC site?

Yeah I've noticed that...editing your post seems to thumbnailise your pics, but then sometime later they will get biigger again.

Antraman, they sure did! Back to large ones

A couple of shots from today using the new 70-200mm zoom which I bought primarily for my ordered D800E but which I'm getting used to on the D200. Still waiting, only this week did I realise hey (Nikon) are only making 1 "E" model for every 49 800's, still I want it for landscapes and I think I'm still willing to wait. Hopefully next in line...

Anyway back to the shots

Really trying to get used to the lens and particularly the VR side of it. Both taken at zoom on the beach at Buddina

Posted Image

D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 160mm, f10, 1/180, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

Posted Image

D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 200mm, f4.5, 1/400, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

A couple of shots from today using the new 70-200mm zoom which I bought primarily for my ordered D800E but which I'm getting used to on the D200. Still waiting, only this week did I realise hey (Nikon) are only making 1 "E" model for every 49 800's, still I want it for landscapes and I think I'm still willing to wait. Hopefully next in line...

Anyway back to the shots

Really trying to get used to the lens and particularly the VR side of it. Both taken at zoom on the beach at Buddina

Posted Image

D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 160mm, f10, 1/180, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

Posted Image

D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 200mm, f4.5, 1/400, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

nice D800E, time to invest in a 14-24 nikkor too for some landscape goodness ;)

Anyway back to the shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would post process the f*ck out of these pics...no offense, but they seem a little flat and bland, colour and light wise (big flat areas of mid-toned sky), so I would try different things like amp up the contrast, decrease exposure, or try some atmospheric colouring, grain or vignetting effects. The composition we can't really comment on, because its your choice...you've taken the pics already, the scenes mean something to you and you only, and perhaps someone else who sees the world a similar way to you etc...so that can't be changed. What you CAN change though, is the colour and light, and to a lesser effect the crop.

Bear in mind that for me, taking the pic is half the process...playing around with the image in Lightroom, ie. post-process is the other half of the art...I privately call it light painting....

Edited by Antraman

Anyway back to the shots

I would post process the f*ck out of these pics...no offense, but they seem a little flat and bland, colour and light wise (big flat areas of mid-toned sky), so I would try different things like amp up the contrast, decrease exposure, or try some atmospheric colouring, grain or vignetting effects. The composition we can't really comment on, because its your choice...you've taken the pics already, the scenes mean something to you and you only, and perhaps someone else who sees the world a similar way to you etc...so that can't be changed. What you CAN change though, is the colour and light, and to a lesser effect the crop.

Bear in mind that for me, taking the pic is half the process...playing around with the image in Lightroom, ie. post-process is the other half of the art...I privately call it light painting....

Interesting comment, I'd agree with the composition to an extent. But not much you can do with a blank sky except replace it. The original shots were much 'darker' and in a sense atmospheric given they were taken just post sunset but the whites were grey. These shots were colour balance corrected and grain reduced (luminance noise adjusted) for flatness. The main aim, as I noted, was more for 'getting used to the lens', I was surprised just how sharp the shots were when hand held in low light (albeit shot at equiv 800ASA and hence the original grain). Perhaps you'd prefer the originals...

Still it's a brute of a lens but can certainly improve the sharpness of even the D200 as I have found the 50mm f1.8 also does. The original lens I had been using on the camera was an 18-70mm zoom which I have found to be a little 'soft'. Should have bought the lenses earlier...

Edited by MandoTiM

First shots with the D800E and 70-200 zoom

Posted Image

70-200 zoom at 200mm, f8, 1/750th, ISO400, cropped to 2533x1922, minor adjustments in ACR

Posted Image

70-200 zoom at 200mm, f8, 1/750th, ISO400, cropped to 2515x2037, minor adjustments in ACR

and 2 of the better ones from today, small jpg's linked to the complete albeit cropped and slightly adjusted shots. The ubiquitous Lorikeets and if you look carefully on the green feathers the moire the camera is famous for is just visible...

Posted Image

Nikkor 70-200mm at 200mm, f4.8 @ 1/250th, ISO 400

and a Kookaburra just after it dived into our backyard pond for a fish (goldfish).

Posted Image

Nikkor 70-200mm at 200mm, f11 @ 1/180th, ISO 400

I admit to being surprised how sharp the focus is with this combination of lens and camera. Now I have the ability to modify the focus through the camera it doesn't look like I need to adjust it.

the Kook is nice...

pretty friendly bird as well, despite him taking all the 'gold'fish (ie those he could see easily).

Back in Qld. Happened on a surf meet on the beach this morning, a couple of the better shots (IMHO). All the other shots taken are on my website KawanaBoardRiders

Posted Image

D800E 1/1000th f5.6, ISO400 with Nikkor 70-200mm at 200mm

Posted Image

Posted Image

stuffed up the exposure and then had to back off the exposure in Lightroom, do need to get used to this new camera. Fortunately most of the shots haven't come out too badly from the adjustments. Does look as though the dynamic range in the camera is somewhat better than the old one. Very happy with the results.

Had a week in the South of France recently, these are one or two of the nicer shots

A frosty morning on the Rver Lot at Cajarc.

Posted Image

Mist surrounding Cajarc, early December

Posted Image

As above, couldn't decide which was the better shot

Posted Image

Fishing on the Lot,

Posted Image

all linked to the higher res shots.

Edited by MandoTiM

and a few more local shots of the sunrise this morning...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

not sure whether I should have smoothed out the luminance noise or left them as they are...

Some photos from today's Tour Down Under at Willunga Hill. Mostly Simon Gerrans, the winner of today's stage but also one of Stuart O'Grady.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shame about those in front. Starting to get the hang of the camera/lens (D800E plus 70-200mm f2.8 zoom) but I must learn to take shots with heads near the top of the frame (to get the bottom of the bike).

More shots from the National Folk Festival, doesn't seem a year since the last one.

I've tried to pick the 5 best but the balance of the shots are on National 2013.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmm, I'm not sure that this is going to work. I'm using a home web server which I've suddenly found needs username/password access

when I access it from my browser here but seems to work from my portable when I access it from outside. I apologise if you can't get in to see the shots,

if that is the case I'll just have to try something else (like post to my normal webpage) but I'm sure I've had access from outside before.

Edited by MandoTiM

I can see them, so I think you're okay.

-X

Funnily enough when I look at the post from my PC at home I get the dialog box for uname/pword but when I look at it from outside the home network (ie using a mobile network card)

it seems to be ok as well, odd.

Hey Mando, I been reading about the D800e and how its basically D800 with the anti-aliasing removed. So in theory it should much sharper images though be susceptible to moire. Have you noticed an improvement in image sharpness and have you noticed any moire?

Moire appears because the photosites in the sensor are arranged in a geometric pattern, and when the subject also has a fine pattern in it, the interferences caused by the 2 clashing makes a secondary pattern in the final image

Posted Image

I heard Lightroom has correction for Moire. I can't check that coz I am at work atm....but was also wondering...would a polarising filter help reduce moire if it was present on an image?

Hey Mando, I been reading about the D800e and how its basically D800 with the anti-aliasing removed. So in theory it should much sharper images though be susceptible to moire. Have you noticed an improvement in image sharpness and have you noticed any moire?

Moire appears because the photosites in the sensor are arranged in a geometric pattern, and when the subject also has a fine pattern in it, the interferences caused by the 2 clashing makes a secondary pattern in the final image

Posted Image

I heard Lightroom has correction for Moire. I can't check that coz I am at work atm....but was also wondering...would a polarising filter help reduce moire if it was present on an image?

Yes the D800E is the same as the D800 but with filter removed. The answer on sharpness is a little difficult to determine given I only have the D800E - to be accurate I think you might need to do a true direct comparison between the 2 cameras on the same scene and compare them. (wish I could afford to) From what I have heard most of those with the E are very happy with it, even a few portrait photographers have said they find better sharpness with little moire impact. I have only seen moire when taking photos of birds and I saw this even with a camera with filter, but then the feathers often show moire even without a camera (a function of the feather structure I would expect). Mind you for an extra $400 it should be better.

An example of one shot (cropped but I don't think it was sharpened) is here..., a tif or in JPG form jpg.... ooh the TIF is 62Mb in size, beware...

The shot I had printed is this one... hopefully the AMPC thumbnail thingy will work here... the tif is 206Mb in size, although the jpg is more reasonable at 17Mb :-)

In terms of correction, I haven't seen it so bad as needing correction although the subject you have above is a good one.

just noticed there are small JPGs of the sunrise shot earlier in this post.

Currently uploading the photos...

Edited by MandoTiM