Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
MandoTiM

MandoTiM's Photos

Been back on the Sunshine Coast for a week, left my login details on my PC at home so have been unable to post. Have been trying to get some decent sunrise photos which,as B'B'Freak and A'Man can testify ain't as simple as one might think.

The weather has been mixed, one morning of almost total cloud cover happened to be the morning I had work being done on the flat so I had to be awake anyway but the other mornings (3 so far) have been reasonable. I finally found the position I was looking for on Point Cartwright this morning took some photos then put them through LR4 only to find I'd forgotten to reset the 'quality' after taking some photos of some tiling work being done. Doh, the greatest shots in low res JPGs! Let's hops I get another go in the next few mornings...

Here are a few for starters (may need to go over a coupe of posts....)

Firstly this mornings abortive efforts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

now previous ones...

again shot from Pt Cartwright but slightly further south near the beach entrance (#198, I think)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now who was it that had a Tokina Macro lens...

I'm looking to acquire something like it but wondered whether it had auto aperture adjustment (from the knob on the camera) given the Nikon version has an aperture ring on the lens?

I got the Tokina 100mm AT-X Pro D Macro.

I am trying to work out how the aperture adjustment works. I think its manual change down to f/2.8 to minimum non macro distance...about 1m I think, then if you focus any closer than 1m the auto aperture kicks in. I find this highly annoying. There is an aperture ring on it, you have to lock it at max f/32 for auto metering to work

Edited by Antraman

sky looked pretty epic in last couple pics...damn wish i was there

on the topic of macro i got my reverse mount ring will try and let u guys know when i get the chance

#3 and #4 are pretty sweet IMHO.

I would have tried to get more sky in 3#.

-X

GX,

Would have liked too but only so much one can fit into the field of view of a 50mm standard lens. Really wanted to get the reflections over and above the sky so put in as much sky as I could.

BBF and AMan,

Damned if I could find that pool of water this morning! However, nowhere near as much interest in the sky, clouds on the horizon blocked the actual sunrise.. try again tomorrow? perhaps.

2 more days up before dawn, starting to make a habit of it.

Yesterday's shots first. Had much more cloud cover than before and a band of heavy cloud on the horizon blocking out the actual sunrise so wasn't as happy with the results. Each smaller image is linked into a larger one of higher quality (~2Mb in size, but not the full sized 7,295x4,868 image at 25Mb)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

again all shots were taken at Point Cartwright, East of Mooloolaba. Not a bad spot on the headland at mid to low tide although would be more difficult to get to at high tide. All have been post processed with the usual vibrance, saturation, sharpness and noise adjustments and a little tweaking of the orange.

A couple from today with the balance coming later (given the limit to shots per post). Again there was cloud on the horizon that blocked the actual sunrise but I think a couple of better shots than yesterday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

...the balance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

enjoy. Now for the constructive criticism.

They all look good technically...can't fault them. The only criticism I can think of since you asked...is that I think they would be perfect if there was a focal object of interest within the scene, rather than just the scene itself. But then again...I'm partial to photos that tell a story or hint at something happening, rather than documentary depiction of scenery, so this is just personal preference...

They all look good technically...can't fault them. The only criticism I can think of since you asked...is that I think they would be perfect if there was a focal object of interest within the scene, rather than just the scene itself. But then again...I'm partial to photos that tell a story or hint at something happening, rather than documentary depiction of scenery, so this is just personal preference...

Thanks, I do need to look at these with my bigger screen at home rather than on this laptop. However I do need to get my workflow organised between LR and PS, need to read your 'manual' on LR soon.

On the subject matter perhaps if I had taken one with the other 2 photographers standing in the foreground taking photographs of the pools of water?(!) My wife always tells me I take too many shots of things without any people in them, but then my daughter's the same.

Not necessarily other people...but any object of interest, say, a shell, bit of drift wood, and interesting shaped rock, or an animal... .something that grabs the eye. Like the bright red reflection in pic #6...

Lightroom manual? Far from it...lol. Maybe one day when we have a crowd sourced contribution page....

First few photographs with the new lens - a Tokina 100mm macro,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

French wildflowers in the Lot Region, plus local fauna in one case. Geez it's difficult to a) hold the camera steady and b) you need patience to get the shot when the flower is waving all around the viewfinder in the wind...

First few photographs with the new lens - a Tokina 100mm macro,

French wildflowers in the Lot Region, plus local fauna in one case. Geez it's difficult to a) hold the camera steady and b) you need patience to get the shot when the flower is waving all around the viewfinder in the wind...

I have been messing about with my Sigma 105mm Macro, but i like your results better.

some nice shots there! man it would be a dream to shoot macro with a d800, all the free "magnification" you get just from cropping :P

yes, it is nice... but unforgiving in other ways.

if the suns out tomorrow morning I'll go and try to take a few more shots in the same place - hopefully with less wind around.

Edited by MandoTiM

2 new macro shots, the first is a focus stack of 3 shots (via PS5), the second of 8 shots.

Perhaps I should added another couple of shots to this first, the petals at the back are just slightly out of focus. Interestingly, shot in full sun in late afternoon (6pm Euro time) there has been almost no colour adjustment on this. I amazed at some of the detail in the centre of the flower (and the odd spider's web). Cropped to square, about half full height.

Posted Image

The second was also taken at the same time but of a larger group of flowers with much more required depth of field (hence the number of shots). I am also amazed at how good a job PS5 has done on the stacking. A touch more adjustment to bring out the shadow detail. Minor cropping around the edges to take off the focus stack artifacts at the edges of the frame, otherwise full frame, field of view probably 10cm.

Posted Image

Should have mentioned that both shots are taken at close to the minimum focus distance of 30cm on the 100mm lens (ie ~1:1 sizing), perhaps closer to 40cm distance on the second.

a couple of shots of a beetle discovered today crawling over the outside of the house,

the first was a close up just before it flew away, the flash didn't fire properly so it ended up being darker than I expected,

cropped - just liked the aspect ratio of this, hand held

Posted Image

Later I found this beetle crawling up the stone wall, the flash did fire this time used f32 but partly out of focus,

cropped, marginal colour adjustment, tripod.

Posted Image

Yeah that first bug is nice. Would be good to see a larger version 8-)

admit was a bit small here a slighty bigger one with a link to another bigger one still.

Posted Image

Fauna seems to be a theme at the moment. Have spent much time looking at the various wildlife that buzzes through the garden here and seen several things that are different to the usual bees, flies etc that inhabit Oz. Several proved too difficult to photograph, they just stay a second at most on a flower before buzzing off to the next bush. Then I had some luck with one and it seems to be what they call a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.

Posted Image

then I jumped the ISO up and used a <2000th sec for shutter speed and caught a similar insect

Posted Image

looking at the more usual bumblebees there have been really nice examples including

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

and what looks a little like a trainee given the mess of pollen that sits all over the bee

Posted Image

Great captures. It seems you've gotten the knack for bug's in flight! :) Well done.

thanks, taken some patience...