MandoTiM

MandoTiM's Photos

Seeing BBFreaks sunrises reminded me I hadn't posted for a while...

Some more shots from the garden plus 2 x 6 shot agglomerations,

A swallowtail...

Posted Image

...and a red admiral

Posted Image

one of the many church windows around

Posted Image

and the agglomeration (the linked file is 8Mb...)

Posted Image

and a wall - need to work on the left hand end to clear the distortion but was in a hurry to complete. (Linked file 3Mb)

Posted Image

should have mentioned, have been writing up our experiences in France (with pictures) on tbarker.org in case any are interested.

Edited by MandoTiM

Been awhile since I put up some photos - nothing taken compares to some of the spectacular shots I've seen on this forum over the past month. However, here goes, Lot's have been happening, I've almost finished my 5 month stay in France, difficult to believe that it is almost over. Most of the time has been in the SW on a river called the Lot in a village called Cajarc. A pretty place with Lot's of history back into the prehistoric. Unfortunately some of the places you go to you would love to take photos but are unable to, caves in particular but I thought I would share some of the more interesting photos including a couple form Brittany in the NW when I was present at a nephew's wedding (on my wife's side). Have taken Lots of photos in the past 5 months many of them have been placed on the web in a diary (rather than a true blog) which can be accessed at http://tbarker.org just in case any of you are interested in looking at it.

in no particular order in fact likely to be in reverse timeline...

A wall at Conques Abbey

Posted Image

A corner of the cemetery at Conques

Posted Image

The village of Conques

Posted Image

A model ship hung from the ceiling of Le Mont-St-Michel Abbey

Posted Image

The Happy Couple...

Posted Image

You'll all know that I'm now shooting with a Nikon D800E, that's the one without the anti-aliasing filter on the sensor. Well, I've never really had any problem with moiré until this last weekend. As they say, they don't recommend the camera for wedding photography due to the potential for moiré on the fine fabrics used in gowns etc. Hmmn, last September I was fortunate to be able to take some shots at a nephews' wedding in Rennes, France, and I don't think I saw a single example of the problem in any of the 600-odd shots I took. This last weekend I did the same at his sister's wedding in Sydney, the wedding dress was fine as was the veil but the groom's suit was another matter entirely. You can tell when the shot is in focus as the moiré jumps out at you. Still I'm very happy with the camera as I take mostly landscapes and macros now. Most of the shots are ok as they are just out of focus enough for the problem to go away (or motion blurred - I must learnt to use high ISO and fast shutter speeds). I've put in a link to the full sized shot with moiré below, worth a look to see the impact, the smaller sized jpg used for the link doesn't really show it.

Posted Image

I was also the 'back-up' photographer as they had a professional to do the usual shots. He was more than happy to let me wander around with him during the ceremony and afterwards so got some wonderful shots during the 'posed' portions, a Canon man so he shouldn't have the same problems with moiré . A good learning experience. I'll put a few more of the better shots up soon for critical appraisal.

Edited by MandoTiM

A fairly niche problem you got there TIM. Colours are fantastic though. Keep up the good work. Wedding photography is a difficult job to pull off well. Being a second shooter is invaluable practice :)

i think my nikon friend said that nikon's own raw software can automatically remove it or something?

so they say but I'm happy to stay with Lightroom and PShop for the time being. Wondering whether the change in weather after Xmas will help bring a few clouds around. The mornings have been somewhat devoid of cloud so far...

5 additional shots from the wedding for critical appraisal

why do people hide between others when you take a photograph? - taken from some distance so difficult to shout at them!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

all been Lightroomed and cropped. All are thumbnails into larger pictures resized for display on an hdtv.

First 3 taken with a D200 with 70-200mm, f2.8 and the latter 2 a D800E with 50mm, f1.8

for those interested in seeing all of them try http://tbarker.net/BandB

Very cool work TIM. The first one could do with a tighter crop though. Bit too much deadspace around the subjects of interest. I like the pseudo high-key shot best.

Very cool work TIM. The first one could do with a tighter crop though. Bit too much deadspace around the subjects of interest. I like the pseudo high-key shot best.

thanks,

agree with gabber on number 1, def tighter crop, #2 would be better if you could blur out the background a bit more tho imho

good idea, thanks have never thought about doing that, will try and see how it looks...

On the crop, had thought it better to keep the whole tree in the background (or as much as was in the shot) and that is why I left it with that crop, as with the other comment, I will try it and see what it looks like.

did try it but realized why I hadn't done a tight crop in the first place when I saw the expression on the bride's face! Talk about rabbits in the dark, and I like the surroundings, to me it adds feel. Haven't yet seen the professionals photos yet which given mine were on the website within 3 days (albeit not much else on)... but very happy with their comments on mine which is what counts.

On another topic a focus stack I've just completed on the flower of a bromeliad, a spectacular red frond which has these yellowish-green flowers that poke out all the way up.

Taken with a D800 plus Tokina 100mm Macro, manually focused, 6 shots then stacked using PS CC.

Oh, by the way I ended up taking out the Adobe subscription offer for their CreativeCloud using their 'cheap' initial offer for a year, thought about the Photoshop/Lightroom at $10p month but then thought what a great opportunity to try some of their other programmes for a little extra and given the biannual upgrade invariably costs $250+ for both programmes, what the heck. Now knee-deep in Dreamweaver, Acrobat, and some of their video programmes... all for the price of a couple of expensive photo rags a month. A couple of issues with Acrobat talking to my scanner and after hand coding my web page Dreamweaver takes some getting used to but otherwise going well.

Posted Image

not entirely happy with it, might try again sometime.

Posted Image

Not bad for a first effort. It took me a while. What aperture were.you using? Try a.smaller aperture.and more.exposures. I generally use f/8 or so for focus stacking.

-X

Posted Image

Not bad for a first effort. It took me a while. What aperture were.you using? Try a.smaller aperture.and more.exposures. I generally use f/8 or so for focus stacking.

-X

f 18, 1/640, ASA4000 (I think), full sun. Lots of wind so I was trying to take less shots with greater depth of field. I will have another go in the right conditions and will try a slightly larger aperture but more shots.

bbf: not really, weather wasn't really conducive with little cloud until the evening and by the end of the 3 weeks I was beginning to get used to the light mornings and sleeping in!

some gum leaves from the garden taken on a tile. Colours came out pleasingly although I'm not sure how they will look on the web (ooh, they are somewhat dulled). The 'thumbnail' is 800x800 pixels and beware the linked file is 4kx4k a whopping 16Mb of download for those interested in looking at the original, slightly cropped, image. Taken using a D800 with Tokina 100mm macro at about 80cm.

Posted Image

Must be the weekend for bird photography! Yesterday morning we had a visitation from a heron interested in the fish in our backyard pond. The 2 photos below are the best of the few I took. Still having difficulty getting the head/neck pinsharp not helped by trying to get as close to the bird as I could (ended up about 5m away) without frightening it. Backyard furniture such as BBQs didn't help the crop as I would have liked to have picked up a bit more of the view in front of the bird in the long skinny photo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like that high key wedding shot on the beach, though I'd perhaps crop in at the top and right, and maybe pull the exposure down a fraction, or at least the shadows. Maybe even have a play with the diffuse glow filter in PS.

Been a awhile since I've managed to do anything with the camera, even take photographs. Been involved with moving house to warmer climes (will try to catch up sometime, BBF) amongst other things. Anyway, managed to get back up to the North Coast this weekend and saw one of the best sunsets here for a long time. Don't have my stitching software on this portable so here are 3 shots prior to stitching - i'll post the final one when complete.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

yea mate, definitely need to catch up soon!

had some great sunsets recently, but im the same apart from that portrait session i did the other day haven't really had chance to go out and shoot at all

I wouldn't even bother stitching Mando, I'm really digging that last shot. Beautiful colours, and there's a nice direction to the clouds, drawing the viewer's attention through the image to the distant hills, and really highlighting the sense of depth. The only thing I would do is to crop out the rocks in the foreground, they don't appear to contribute much to the scene as they're just lost in the shadows, and interrupt the view of the water.