.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android users ahoy!

Basically, I have this app named Lux which is a project of mine to replace the auto brightness functionality in Android phones (because, quite frankly, smartphones tend to suck at it).

The premise is that the user adjusts the brightness to the level they want, and then links it to a light sample taken from the phone's light sensor or camera. The app then interpolates these samples to produce a user defined auto bright system, activated either manually via widget, or periodically.

I want two levels of beta testers, one for testing experimental features to gauge whether they should be considered for the full app, and my market testers to test features which will be in the final app.

So basically I'm here to invite willing users to join a shared Dropbox and test the experimental features of my app. Essentially, you'll be getting the cool features to play with before the market testers - and not pay a cent!

Anyone that's interested, post here and PM me the e-mail you use for Dropbox. Do note that the app in its current state has a bit of a learning curve. If you have any questions, ask away!

Lux FAQ

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hi mate, I'd be happy to give it a go. I'm running a custom ROM, so if that can cause any complications just give me a heads up.

Otherwise, I've sent you my email address.

Thanks for the opportunity.

gohhh, i thought you where going to say that gingerbread is out on kies now....

I have a Samsung Galaxy S, running Darkys rom 10.2.

Which is basically a tweaked version of the SGS2 firmware for the SG1.

If you don't want custom roms, let me know.

Probably better to get a more stable release, then work on the custom side (if at all).

Hi mate, I'd be happy to give it a go. I'm running a custom ROM, so if that can cause any complications just give me a heads up.

Otherwise, I've sent you my email address.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Invite sent! Thanks.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S, running Darkys rom 10.2.

Which is basically a tweaked version of the SGS2 firmware for the SG1.

If you don't want custom roms, let me know.

Probably better to get a more stable release, then work on the custom side (if at all).

Any ROM which can access the official market is fine by me.

Any ROM which can access the official market is fine by me.

In that case I would be happy to lend you my sword phone for testing.

HTC Desire S, running Saga LBC mod,

Email sent, and sounds like an interesting idea I have to say

Thanks dude

I wouldn't mind being a tester, as I find that I often need to change the brightness in situations I don't need it, but have to trawl through the OS.

What is Dropbox though...? I don't have this.

I've installed the app and had a play.

So what's the mean reason for using the 'Get Light Sample' feature? When should i actually use it?

When Lux isn't setting the brightness to a percentage you want, you can adjust the brightness slider to a (non sub-zero) percentage you do want, read in a light sample, then link them using the appropriate button. Now Lux will know what brightness to set in under those particular light conditions. You can link as many samples as you want, but I suggest you only do it when you need to. Lux is capable of interpolating linked samples to approximate the brightness you want under any light condition.

Here's an incomplete FAQ. I'm making a tutorial mode in the app, and will be filming a how-to video later. I'm trying to make the UI easier to use, but I don't think I can get it much simpler without losing functionality.

I'll give it a go, if you still need testers. Stock standard HTC wildfire.

Invite sent, also I updated the FAQ and added it to the OP.

I'd really like some feedback, even if it's just asking for assistance on using it (it'll help me shape the tutorial mode, at the very least). If you're having problems or issues, don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks !

I'll have a play with it tomorrow after I've read the instructions :)

When Lux isn't setting the brightness to a percentage you want, you can adjust the brightness slider to a (non sub-zero) percentage you do want, read in a light sample, then link them using the appropriate button. Now Lux will know what brightness to set in under those particular light conditions. You can link as many samples as you want, but I suggest you only do it when you need to. Lux is capable of interpolating linked samples to approximate the brightness you want under any light condition.

Here's an incomplete FAQ. I'm making a tutorial mode in the app, and will be filming a how-to video later. I'm trying to make the UI easier to use, but I don't think I can get it much simpler without losing functionality.

I've printed it out and i'll have a read of it tomorrow. So far i've been happy just pressing the LUX button on my home screen which seems to keep the brightness at a desirable level.

When I first installed it last night, there was one single instance when the phone froze for about 20 seconds after I pressed the sun. I rebooted the phone straight after and it never happened again.

I've input 2 light settings last night and another 7 this morning ... ranging from early light to full light ... and I think it finally understands my preferred brightness to the point I hardly notice the background adjustment while the backlight is on. I have it set to auto adjust on activation and adjust periodically and have been checking as I move between flourescent to incandescent to natural light and the brightness appears to be stable, so I'm really pleased with it. I know it's working because the percentage changes slightly.

Doesn't seem to have any adverse affect on battery life or phone performance, like some apps do !

There's a bit of a light detection delay on my phone and Lux adjusts the brightness about 5 seconds after I turn on the backlight, but *appears to work quicker if I have 'adjust periodically' checked. It definitely works alot better than the built in auto power control, which I disabled since it didn't work very well at all most of the time.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is the little arrow on the icon. It's so small I've defaulted to a stylus to activate it. Might I suggest a settings link in the apps directory for those with smaller devices ?

I'll try it a bit later with all auto adjustments turned off, but I'm enjoying the features turned on at the moment.

What does Toggle Astonomer Mode do ?? Is there any other test in particular you'd like us to do ?

When I first installed it last night, there was one single instance when the phone froze for about 20 seconds after I pressed the sun. I rebooted the phone straight after and it never happened again.

Very odd, that's the first time I've heard that happening. I'll look into it.

I've input 2 light settings last night and another 7 this morning ... ranging from early light to full light ... and I think it finally understands my preferred brightness to the point I hardly notice the background adjustment while the backlight is on. I have it set to auto adjust on activation and adjust periodically and have been checking as I move between flourescent to incandescent to natural light and the brightness appears to be stable, so I'm really pleased with it. I know it's working because the percentage changes slightly.

Awesome!

Doesn't seem to have any adverse affect on battery life or phone performance, like some apps do!

I was very careful with battery usage, to the extent that the app tends to save significantly more power than it uses (display backlight is the main battery killer in smartphones).

There's a bit of a light detection delay on my phone and Lux adjusts the brightness about 5 seconds after I turn on the backlight, but *appears to work quicker if I have 'adjust periodically' checked. It definitely works alot better than the built in auto power control, which I disabled since it didn't work very well at all most of the time.

If you've turned on 'Use data filtering' there will be a delay whilst Lux monitors the sensors and calculates a weighted average for the light sample. The 'Data filter window' let's you change how much you want to wait. The longer you wait, the more accurate the reading. You only really need to use data filtering in two cases: if your phone has a crappy light sensor, or if you tend to use your phone in areas of constantly changing brightness (like a moving train on a sunny day). If you don't have data filtering enabled, let me know.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is the little arrow on the icon. It's so small I've defaulted to a stylus to activate it. Might I suggest a settings link in the apps directory for those with smaller devices ?

Yeah I've heard that this can be an issue. The arrow looks small, but almost half the widget is actually assigned to opening the Dashboard. You can try pressing a little higher than you'd normally do, but I'm working on some alternate solutions. I can either make an option to turn the whole widget into a button for accessing the Dashboard, or I can make a separate Dashboard widget. Your app directory idea shouldn't be too hard to implement either.

I'll try it a bit later with all auto adjustments turned off, but I'm enjoying the features turned on at the moment.

What does Toggle Astonomer Mode do ?? Is there any other test in particular you'd like us to do ?

Astronomer mode just puts a read overlay over the top of the entire system to reduce the harshness of white light at night. Astronomers tend to get angry when their phone adjusts their pupils. :P The main reason I put it in was to see how many phones would let me get away with having a system-wide overlay which can bypass the home button.

Other tests I'd like would be to see if sub-zero mode works (should put a dark overlay over the screen), and just general usage really. It'd also be great if I could get a copy of your light samples (just back them up to the SD card using the appropriate button, then copy the Lux folder from the SD card to your PC). It'd help me get a feel for the quality of the sensors on different phone models.

Astronomer mode is certainly interesting. Gives the display a shade of deep red and I quite like it. It prevents eye burning brightness in very low light, without making it so dark it's unreadable. I'd imagine this would be brilliant for those who insist on checking their messages at the movies.

I did have data filtering enabled. Solved that problem. Turned it off and adjustment is much quicker now. Tomorrow, I'll check out what difference it makes in varied light.

Im curious to know what the deciding factor is for it to default to the fallback setting. I've got my fallback set to 35%. In low light, most of the time the light detection is 10240 lux (in this particular room), but at one point it continued to default to fallback until I turned off/on the backlight, after which it would detect 10240 lux again. Once I linked the sample to the slider, it happily detected the lux every time thereafter. Adjusting brightness settings was much easier in natural light, as is to be expected.

I tried sub zero ... didn't like it very much and can't really think of a reason I'd use it either. The phone's built in brightness settings doesn't allow the display to go completely black, but using Lux, the screen did go completely black. Sub zero with Astronomer mode was way too dark for me. Couldn't read a thing !

I'm getting used to the dashboard arrow too. It's very much a matter of tapping in exactly the right spot, which gets easier the more I do it !

I've done a light sample backup and I'll transfer a copy later when I'm on a pc ... on iPad ATM and I'm too lazy to get up and unpack the laptop :)

Edited by NightOwl

Fallback is used when the light sensor cannot get a reading. Android reports lux via 'on change' events, so sometimes under artificial light where the brightness is constant, android will never report a change, thus lux cannot get a reading. When this happens, lux either uses your camera or it uses the last known light sample. Failing that it uses the user defined fallback. Judging by the fact that you're getting 10240 consistently, your light sensor isn't very granular. You'll probably find that data filtering works better on your phone. I updated the FAQ earlier today to explain the purpose of data filtering.

With sub-zero mode, is it getting darker as you slide to the left, or is it just giving you a very dark overlay no matter what?

Would this app work on my transformer? Basically, i think the auto brightness always sets it too LOW :P

I also have a desire hd and legend i can test on.

I'm thinking data filtering works best on my phone too. Was going to compare both settings tomorrow in daylight. Apart from the slight adjustment delay when unlocking the display, it worked well all day.

For sub zero ... I've just discovered the benefits of this feature. I didn't have the slider all the way down to 1%, so the display was all wrong last time. When the slider got down to 10%, it got the dark overlay look and was unreadable. But the instant it got to 1%, even though the display was very dim, it was crystal clear ! The black shadow was gone and all the colours regained depth. The transformation is amazing ! I tried sub zero in asto mode and whereas it's almost unreadable even in dim light, it's easy to read and easy on the eyes in complete darkness. not sure how often i would use a feature like that, but its very clever all the same :)

So, all the features work great on my phone. It only has a bit of trouble with dim light, but that just means I have to fiddle around with the settings a bit more, is all. Was easy in daylight conditions.

Edited by NightOwl

Would this app work on my transformer? Basically, i think the auto brightness always sets it too LOW :P

I also have a desire hd and legend i can test on.

Sure, just PM me your e-mail.

I'm thinking data filtering works best on my phone too. Was going to compare both settings tomorrow in daylight. Apart from the slight adjustment delay when unlocking the display, it worked well all day.

For sub zero ... I've just discovered the benefits of this feature. I didn't have the slider all the way down to 1%, so the display was all wrong last time. When the slider got down to 10%, it got the dark overlay look and was unreadable. But the instant it got to 1%, even though the display was very dim, it was crystal clear ! The black shadow was gone and all the colours regained depth. The transformation is amazing ! I tried sub zero in asto mode and whereas it's almost unreadable even in dim light, it's easy to read and easy on the eyes in complete darkness. not sure how often i would use a feature like that, but its very clever all the same :)

So, all the features work great on my phone. It only has a bit of trouble with dim light, but that just means I have to fiddle around with the settings a bit more, is all. Was easy in daylight conditions.

Nice. :)

In low light, the camera will always return a value, so if you set Lux to 'automatic' under 'Light reading modes' it should adjust properly. Keep in mind that the camera readings use their own set of light samples (lux and luma have no direct relationship, unfortunately).