.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android users ahoy!

Ok, got it installed on all 3 of my devices. Haven't quite worked out yet how to make use of it, but I'll get to that when I can.

First bug I noticed was that, on my transformer tablet in landscape mode (as I use it 90% of the time), I can't access the settings from the widget. It rotates my screen sideways, but then nothing comes up and my screen goes back to landscape mode. If I have my tablet in portrait mode, the settings work.

Ok, got it installed on all 3 of my devices. Haven't quite worked out yet how to make use of it, but I'll get to that when I can.

First bug I noticed was that, on my transformer tablet in landscape mode (as I use it 90% of the time), I can't access the settings from the widget. It rotates my screen sideways, but then nothing comes up and my screen goes back to landscape mode. If I have my tablet in portrait mode, the settings work.

You're the second person to report that, I'm looking into it. :)

A couple more things...

- my transformer runs really slow with Lux installed. Its mostly noticable when trying to flick between homescreens. I uninstalled it and checked the speed, then reinstalled lux to confirm its slowing me down. Doesnt seem to bother my phones.

- when you first install the app it asks to to set the slider to the minimum brightness.... Well, moving the slider didnt make my phones screens change brightness as i was sliding. I think it did briefly, once but then didnt want to change anymore. The tablet does change the brightness as you slide.

Sorry yes, screen filter. Well that's odd then because I'm sure our apps use similar methods for adjusting the display. :/ I'll have to track down another transformer user.

Sorry yes, screen filter. Well that's odd then because I'm sure our apps use similar methods for adjusting the display. :/ I'll have to track down another transformer user.

Ahhh "screen filTer".

got it....it slows my transformer down as well.

Just noticedboth my phones get the settings bug when in landscape mode.

Turn the phone sideways, it stays in portrait mode cos the homescreens dont rotate, but if you try click on settings, the screen flashes like its trying to do something and then goes back to the overlay with the lux options.

Have to have auto screen rotate turned on. I normally have it turned off so it isnt a problem, but ive turned it on now just to test this app :P

Finally got round to reading the faq, it all makes sense now!

Can i ask if theres a specific reason for implementing the separate option to link light samples rather than do it automatically when you press Get Light Sample?

Also, whats the point of the Auto-adjust option? Im guessing it sets the brightness using the system default algorithm?

Seems like a good app! I can see it coming in handy on my phones purely to make the screen darker in low light as i often think it could go darker than what the system specifies even though during the day its fine. And as i mentioned before, it will come in very handy on my tablet (once the slowdown issue is sorted). Keep up the good work!

Well if the user hasn't adjusted the brightness slider, automatic linking could be problematic. I was considering removing the 'get light sample' button since that's already performed when opening the dashboard, but users may want to get another sample in the case of getting a fallback value.

The auto bright button is basically there to help me debug, it does the same thing as the widget button. I guess it is helpful if you change the slider then decide to let lux change it back.

I'm still not sure what the cause of the lag is, trying to narrow it down to a subset of devices. I have a feeling it's an android 3.0+ issue in general.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Well if the user hasn't adjusted the brightness slider, automatic linking could be problematic. I was considering removing the 'get light sample' button since that's already performed when opening the dashboard, but users may want to get another sample in the case of getting a fallback value.

yeah I use the Get Light Sample button a fair bit as Im trying to get it calibrated. having to lock and unlock the screen to do this would be annoying :P

The auto bright button is basically there to help me debug, it does the same thing as the widget button. I guess it is helpful if you change the slider then decide to let lux change it back.

I'm still not sure what the cause of the lag is, trying to narrow it down to a subset of devices. I have a feeling it's an android 3.0+ issue in general.

Cool, no worries.

yeah I use the Get Light Sample button a fair bit as Im trying to get it calibrated. having to lock and unlock the screen to do this would be annoying :P

You don't have to unlock etc. you can just exit and enter the Dashboard (or even just rotate the screen) to get a new reading.

New build is available. Main changes include:

- Settings activity no longer closes itself when in landscape orientation.

- Lux now appears in the app drawer as an alternate method of accessing the Dashboard. Widget must still be on a homescreen for automatic functionality.

- Dashboard scrolling only affects the buttons to make the slider easier to use.

- Reported number of 'lux' and 'luma' linked samples includes the two default samples.

- Sub-zero brightness can now be linked to a light sample, and supports fading.

Updated to v0.11

Settings now work in landscape mode on the tablet. They still dont on the phones though.

Also noticed, that if you try rotate the tablet screen while the settings screen is open, it just closes it as well as the previous options overlay. The first time I did this I got some sort of force close, but it was fine the few times after that I tried.

Like the link in the apps menu. Can now create a shortcut for easy access to the dashboard. I'll check out sub zero tonight.

Doesn't work properly in landscape mode on my phone either. Dashboard activation won't work in landscape at all. Tweak settings sometimes works and sometimes exits the application. I didn't notice this before. To be honest, I very rarely use my phone in landscape.

Edited by NightOwl

Ok peeps, disregard that latest release, it's quite broken. The linking works, but the sub-zero stuff is much too hit and miss. Like I mentioned, I'm in the process of re-writing it. Cheers.

There's a slight difference in the display over 1%. Before, I got the black overlay look from 10% down to 1%. Now, the black overlay look starts from 15% down to 1%. But sub zero works fine. Still clear as a bell the moment it goes below 1%. Astronomer mode is still the same also.

For some reason, I'm also getting better light readings in very low light. Not sure if this is an app improvement or shear coincidence. It hasn't defaulted to fallback at all yet and I'm getting different readings depending on which direction the light source is, which is how I'd expect it to react.

Dashboard doesn't work in landscape ... but I suspect this is a limitation with my phone, as there are a few other things that won't either. Tweak settings is now stable in landscape.

I'll check it out tomorrow in full light.

I'm not sure why you're getting any overlay between 1% and 15%. :/ Perhaps it's just the screen getting very dark?

The better readings may have been from a change I did a few days ago, where it will reuse old data where possible. I didn't change anything related to reading light samples in this build.

Anyway, known bugs so far:

- Toggling 'Astro Mode' without then touching the slider breaks fading

- Linking sub-zero brightness adds a superfluous linked sample

Thanks for all the testing so far!

The screen is dark, but it's also noticeably dull as well. Whites go gray. This also happened in the first version, but at 10% instead of 15%. Of course, this could be simply the way this device reacts to the brightness adjustment. Once it hits sub zero, it's still subdued, but colours are richer and whites are white again. But to be honest, I think sub zero in the first version I tried looked better. In the previous version there was a marked difference between 1% and sub zero. Now, the difference is more subtle.