kikz

render using atoms insteadof polygons, in games

I think it's great that there's a company out there willing to invest time, money and effort into doing something in an entirely new way. If we didn't have these type of innovative company's doing what they do we would be a lot further behind.

Having said that, for every 1 innovative and new technology to actually hit the market, there's about 1000 that failed.

Good luck and I hope they reach their goals. I don't think i'll be investing my own money in them though...

Yeah but it's not an "entirely new way". Voxels go back to at least Comanche (1992) and probably earlier.

Yeah - these are fancy new Voxels with a new name ("Atoms"), and I don't doubt clever new ways of rendering them. But it's an evolution of an existing principle, not something radically new.

I think it's great that there's a company out there willing to invest time, money and effort into doing something in an entirely new way. If we didn't have these type of innovative company's doing what they do we would be a lot further behind.

Having said that, for every 1 innovative and new technology to actually hit the market, there's about 1000 that failed.

Good luck and I hope they reach their goals. I don't think i'll be investing my own money in them though...

Yeah but it's not an "entirely new way". Voxels go back to at least Comanche (1992) and probably earlier.

Yeah - these are fancy new Voxels with a new name ("Atoms"), and I don't doubt clever new ways of rendering them. But it's an evolution of an existing principle, not something radically new.

Which is fair enough, but I don't understand why everyone is waiving their arms in the air yelling HAX!? Who are they hurting by trying to develop a new (or old, I guess) way of doing things? I'm interesting to see what comes out of this, if anything...

Which is fair enough, but I don't understand why everyone is waiving their arms in the air yelling HAX!? Who are they hurting by trying to develop a new (or old, I guess) way of doing things? I'm interesting to see what comes out of this, if anything...

Well, if it's true that the government gave them a $2 million grant, then technically the harm is to the collective wallets of Australia. It's $2 million that could be spent of plenty of better things, if this turns out not to be useful for gaming purposes.

Posted Image

I thought this was amusing enough to share. I'm not sure how well their voxels will translate to animations, it's kinda hard to calculate how the 'atoms' should slide over each other, or so I'd imagine. I'm no game designer though.

They're not hurting anyone, but they're (likely) full of shit. I reserve my right to yell "HAX!" while waiving my arms in the air when someone is sprouting shit.

Rob.

I thought this was amusing enough to share. I'm not sure how well their voxels will translate to animations, it's kinda hard to calculate how the 'atoms' should slide over each other, or so I'd imagine. I'm no game designer though.

And from everything he's shown, neither is he.

Posted Image

His sister pointed me at the youtube vid when it went up. It's real and technology-in-development.

Recent HardOCP interview

It's real and technology-in-development.

I am sure it's in development. But it certainly only looks "real" for loose meanings of the word real :P

Rob.

Yeah, it's in development. And appears to have been in development for some time. And doesn't appear to have made up any ground.

Amphibious vehicles have been in development for 200 or so years. Doesn't mean they'll be taking over from regular cars any time soon.

Just wondering if anyone else had seen this: http://outerra.com/wgallery.html

According to the About:

The fractal algorithms refine and introduce details down to centimeter or milimeter resolution and can be parametrized by elevation and climate data.

There are vids with moving aircraft etc, but it doesn't look like the environment moves at all. I haven't spotted anything else moving except the player, actually. Edit: Err, apart from the sea, of course.

Edited by Cybes