After labouring for 6+ years on my old faithful Athlon PC which now sounds like a 747 taking off when I boot up, I have been given permission from the boss (aka wife) to upgrade to a sparkly new PC.

I have some specs for what I think I should build...but would not mind some guidance...in case I have gone off on some strange tangent somewhere...

So you know, this is a gaming rig but will also house all my music, movies, images, etc for streaming to the x-box and tv.

I have not been able to play any recent games so would like to try out some of the new stuff coming out. I also need it for work hence the double screen combo.

Specs:

CPU: AMD 1055T Phenom II X6 1055T, 2.8Ghz (3.3GHz Turbo Core), 9MB Cache, 125W

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

GPU: VTX3D Radeon HD6970 2GB X-Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 3.5in 120GB SSD

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ (x2)

DVD: Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive

Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced with window panel

Power Supply: Antec TPQ-850W

Monitor: Samsung BX2440 24inch Widescreen LED Monitor (x2)

KB & Mouse: Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Combo - I would prefer wired - but don't really know much about these things...

I can get this whole lot from scorptec for $2,296 + delivery - but does anyone know if these are any good? Did I miss anything?

Also...can anyone suggest a place that will build this thing for me - I am likely to snap something if I try and do it myself...with the window in the PC case, I would really like to have a place that will also do the cabling correctly (and neatly)

Comments and suggestions welcome.

looks decent, swap the vertex 2 for either an OZC agility 3 or a Corsair force series 3, much faster drives and will only cost you about $30-$40 more.

I personaly like the nvidia cards better and intel chips better, but if you wanna go AMD the 6970 and one of the phenom II X6's is probably the way to go.

oh and maybe go with a blu-ray DVD drive? Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive is pretty good for $89

Edited by ridir

You may not be aware but bulldozer will launch September 18th so with that mother board you could do a drop in upgrade to something that will match the current i7 performance (rumor).

No hsf? A little overclocking is good for the soul.

+1 ti the agility 3/solid 3/corsair force 3/patriot wildfire

+1 to the bluray - why not and have the option

I'd go for a corsair hx or ax psu over the antec.

I have a logitech mk710 keyboard with a mx revolution mouse both are wireless and they work as well as anything wired that I've ever owned.

Building a pc yourself is very easy these days, you should really consider building it your self. The cabling is really easy to do right.

looks decent, swap the vertex 2 for either an OZC agility 3 or a Corsair force series 3, much faster drives and will only cost you about $30-$40 more.

I personaly like the nvidia cards better and intel chips better, but if you wanna go AMD the 6970 and one of the phenom II X6's is probably the way to go.

oh and maybe go with a blu-ray DVD drive? Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive is pretty good for $89

Take your point...

the SSD is $20 more for a much faster drive (same size)...so I swapeed that in.

Blu-Ray is $60 more and whilst I don't have a blu-ray player in the house I can see the point for future proofing...swapped that in as well.

With regards to the new AMD chips - I am aware they are coming out but I would expect a dodgy supply chain / premium prices until the new year at least. Motherboard is designed to take the chip so can upgrade later if I want.

With regards to PSU - is the extra $60 really worth it to go from Antex to Corsair (CMPSU-850AXAU) - both 850W, both modular...again, limited knowledge on these.

revised build would be:

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 3.5in 120GB SSD - I am assuming the motherboard can handle SATAIII?

DVD: Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive

Power Supply: Antec TPQ-850W

KB & Mouse: Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Combo

With a total price of $2,376 + delivery

Assuming I am still a little uncomfortable building...which I am...can anyone recommend a good retailer that does good cable management...my current PC looks like someone let off a cable-bomb inside the case! Airflow is terrible!!!!!

I recomended the Corsair psu because I believe it to be better quality - having said that I have 2 Antec units that have been just fine to work with and for a budget PC i think they are a great choice. BTW 850w is total overkill you'd be better off with a 650w if you dont intend to crossfire/sli and overclock the bejesus out of the system.

You will find that the Corsair AX powersuply you listed is about 92% efficent whereas I think you'll find that the TruPower is about 85% - in total draw that means a lot. I would still say you could go an AX750.

As far as assembly goes I cant really recommend anywhere that I know of - I've never had a pc come assembled.

You may also consider getting a hyper212+ as a CPU cooler as I believe the stock that is going to come with the 1055t is quite loud and pathetic compared to even the $33 cooler that I mentioned earlier (which is its self excellent value for money).

Edited by UberPenguin

OK...I will bow to pressure and add an after-market cooler...will even take the advice and add the Hyper 212.

It adds another $37 to the price.

I also changed the PSU to the Corsair but maintain the 850W as I plan to add another graphics card once I save up some extra pennies...that way, I can slot in the extra card and not worry about anything else.

It also allows me to add additional hard drives further down the track - I know 2.2TB is a lot, but will likely fill it with movies, music & home movies...

Version 3 now stands at:

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 3.5in 120GB SSD

Power Supply: Corsair AX-850 850W

Heatsink: Cooler Master HYPER 212+

Total price (and it's climbing) is $2,475...which is now around my maximum budget.

I reckon I can save about $100-150 sourcing the monitors from MSY or something like that...and it will have no effect on the overall build (quick check of staticice confirms this)...so I can bring this down to about $2,350.

How are we tracking now?

seems a shitload of money for a mediocre Phenom II build...

this one is from Umart and includes building costs, the cabling you'd have to ask them nicely... and I can guarantee you that in games it will be much much better because of the better GPU.

Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-performance CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 4xDDR3 HDMI GLAN 2xPCI-E CrossFireX SLI SATA3 RAID USB3.0 1394 ATX

Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3

Seagate SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 32mb Cache

Leadtek GTX580 1536M PCIE

Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL)

CoolerMaster RC-692-KWN2 Advanced Bay Tower Gaming Case

Corsair HX-650 ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan

Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM(Microsoft OEM Terms&condition apply)

OCZ 120G Vertex III Series SSD

total: $2052

if i where you i would go nesquicks build unless you really like AMD...:P

save the $420 and use it on something else...like money towards another GPU or clothes or something.

you dont have to spend money just for the sake of it.

Edited by jdog

wait my build didn't have screens since thats a personal factor looking back it'll probably work out the same :/ but you'd still have a more powerful machine.

seems a shitload of money for a mediocre Phenom II build...

this one is from Umart and includes building costs, the cabling you'd have to ask them nicely... and I can guarantee you that in games it will be much much better because of the better GPU.

Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-performance CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 4xDDR3 HDMI GLAN 2xPCI-E CrossFireX SLI SATA3 RAID USB3.0 1394 ATX

Seagate SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 32mb Cache

Leadtek GTX580 1536M PCIE

Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL)

CoolerMaster RC-692-KWN2 Advanced Bay Tower Gaming Case

Corsair HX-650 ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan

Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM(Microsoft OEM Terms&condition apply)

OCZ 120G Vertex III Series SSD

total: $2052

hmmmm...now you got me thinking...from what I can tell, the i5 2500k kicks dirt in the fact of the AMD...to which I have no strong affiliation.

So, assuming I go with the Intel chip, would that motherboard support the 6970 GC that I was planning to put in - and planning to add an additional one further down the track for X-fire.

If so, I might re-hash the whole build and start again with an i5 build...

Will try and do that today...but if not, I'll re-post tomorrow for thoughts...

yea it would, just so you don't walk into a PC store and get ripped off cause of a lack of knowledge, every current consumer level motherboard would be compatible with every consumer level graphics card since they all use PCIE as you no doubt already found out look for boards with Crossfire compatibility for AMD graphics cards and SLI compatibility for Nvidia cards, iirc that board I suggested will do both of those. (edit: bar a select few that still can run AGP but we are talking like 3 maybe 4 products out of hundreds)

I5 chips are dead easy to overclock to, never has there been a platform so easy to get a free speed upgrade from just make sure you get a K branded chip ie: i5 2500K not the vanilla I5 2500

regarding screens if you want a range of good quality ones Dell make some great screens and you can get 15% off if you are a member of any autoclub or know someone who is a member (racq, racv, rac, raa ect) plus their warranty is the best in the business although a local shop with brands like samsung and benq might be more up your alley.

The GTX580 is also a much more powerful card than the 6970, it costs a little more but you will find it handles higher graphics settings for longer as games development improves.

Edited by nesquick

OK...shifted to an Intel build based on the comments in this thread...seems the i5 2500k kicks butt pretty much everywhere in my price range (althoug it is going up and up...)

Current build looks like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z68XP-UD3 - is this the right motherboard for the chip?

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 3.5in 120GB SSD

HDD: Seagate SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 32mb Cache (x2)

Power Supply: Corsair AX-850 850W

Heatsink: Cooler Master HYPER 212+

Total price is now up a little further to $2,681 although I can bring this down to about $2,500 if I source the monitors through MSY.

But here's a problem I think I will hit...the SSD & 2 x 1TB HDD's are all SATA3. From what I can tell, the Mobo only has 2 x SATA3 ports...will the 2nd HDD work? Is it overkill to get SATA3?

Also, $2,500 is my limit...any other suggestions?

hdd are not yet fast enough to make good use of sata 3 so stick one of them on sata2 and you shouldnt notice the difference

^^

good build but i would change the hardrive to something like a samsung 1TB F3 to save some money (yes it SATA 2 but that doesnt matter much)

as for the other things to save money on i would change the motherboard to the UD4 variant as it has SLI/X-fire support @ x16.

as for monitors unless you really need 2 screens (yes it good) i would go for one Dell U2411M (24",IPS,LED) which can go for about $360 from dell with coupons. and then save up for another later.

other then that very good build and should last you a while.

EDIT: Just did this at PCG and it within your budget and everything you want except a monitor (as its your choice):

Posted Image

so your budget is $2500 and the system i listed is $1977 you saved $523 so you can get a good monitor (or 2) for that with maybe some left over cash :P

so with $523 to spend on monitors and you wanting 2 the how about two Dell U2311 @ $269 (without discounts) each.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...&redirect=1

or as you want a 24 and LED get the dell u2412M $399 (without discounts): http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...&redirect=1 buy one now and get one later and it will fit with your budget.

EDIT:

with the system above and a pair of dell u2311 the total cost is $2515! ( $15 over your budget)

or above system and a single dell U2412M - $2376 (under budget!)

pretty good hey?

Edited by jdog

Thats a reasonable build ^^^^^ from JDOG

You could save more bucks by:

Dropping the aftermarket cooler. Useless if your arent going to overclock, and seriously, you wont really need to with that CPU for any PRACTICAL reason.

Going with a ANTEC powersupply would also save quite a bit. And Antec make great PSU's. Still high end.

Drop the Blu Ray combo drive - its useless if your arent going to watch blur ays on your PC or burn blu ray disks.

Go for a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium rather than Professional. Seriously dont need the Pro edition and you save $40.

Just doing these things will NOT affect the performance of your machine in any way at all.

Some money-saving adjustments to jdog's build:

This PSU:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14862

Save $45. I have a lower-end model one of these and the quality is amazingly high.

This HDD for the same price to simplify things:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16853

Or this Green one for a saving of about $35:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=17282

It's plenty fast for a storage disk considering you'll be getting an SSD. I have a bunch of them, they go great.

If you're not going to overclock at all, then going the 2500 non-K will save you... ten bucks. Might as well get the overclockable one so you have the option. Could save $33 using a stock cooler

RAM can be had cheaper than that. I've seen 1600mhz 8GB kits with respectable timings and whatnot for about $50.

That 6970 is pretty expensive, but pricing on these seems random. I've seen them at about $320.

Are you set on that Wave keyboard? If not, you may not have noticed that it's an 'ergonomic' thing with a wavey shape to the keys (hence the name). Everyone I know hates them.

That case is a lot better than I remembered. I guess they upgraded it significantly for the new II model. An extra $4 gets you that sexy white one!

Anyway, you can save about $150 or more with those revisions. If you want to keep your spending down, well, there you go.

The only coolermaster psu I had blew in a painful way not to long ago after about 8 months use at about 30%. As I said earlier the antec is an ok unit but the corsair is definitely better.

Don't get a green drive unless its solely for media/storage - they are noticeably slower in applications that require speed.

I don't know how loud the stock hsf is for the i5 2500k but the hyper212+ will be better noise wise and temperature wise.

^^

good build but i would change the hardrive to something like a samsung 1TB F3 to save some money (yes it SATA 2 but that doesnt matter much)

as for the other things to save money on i would change the motherboard to the UD4 variant as it has SLI/X-fire support @ x16.

as for monitors unless you really need 2 screens (yes it good) i would go for one Dell U2411M (24",IPS,LED) which can go for about $360 from dell with coupons. and then save up for another later.

other then that very good build and should last you a while.

EDIT: Just did this at PCG and it within your budget and everything you want except a monitor (as its your choice):

Posted Image

so your budget is $2500 and the system i listed is $1977 you saved $523 so you can get a good monitor (or 2) for that with maybe some left over cash :P

so with $523 to spend on monitors and you wanting 2 the how about two Dell U2311 @ $269 (without discounts) each.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...&redirect=1

or as you want a 24 and LED get the dell u2412M $399 (without discounts): http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...&redirect=1 buy one now and get one later and it will fit with your budget.

EDIT:

with the system above and a pair of dell u2311 the total cost is $2515! ( $15 over your budget)

or above system and a single dell U2412M - $2376 (under budget!)

pretty good hey?

Love this build and it seems like the right one to go with...but a question...will PC Case Gear build the thing for me? I have short stubby fingers that are very good at snapping important components...and would very likely end up with spare bits everywhere, terrible airflow and a PC that runs slower than my gran...and she's dead!!!

Happy to pay for them to build it, if they do it right.

Additionally...and I do like the Dell Monitors...which is better?

The Dell u2412M or the Samsung BX2440? Votes...

The Dells are kinda held up as prime examples of how great monitors can be. So I;d say dell but I have no personal experience with either monitor.

Love this build and it seems like the right one to go with...but a question...will PC Case Gear build the thing for me? I have short stubby fingers that are very good at snapping important components...and would very likely end up with spare bits everywhere, terrible airflow and a PC that runs slower than my gran...and she's dead!!!

Happy to pay for them to build it, if they do it right.

Additionally...and I do like the Dell Monitors...which is better?

The Dell u2412M or the Samsung BX2440? Votes...

i would go the dell has it has a awsome panel compared to the samsung,plusit has a 3 year warranty. (but im kinda bias as i own a u2711 :P)

and yes as far as i know PCG can build it for you but i dont know how much it cost as ive never used them.

overall you should have a awsome build.

Edited by jdog

Wrong.

Why dont you pull apart your current pc and put it back together as a trial? its essentially the same as a new pc and if it goes well it will save you a bit of cash on the assembly charge as well as being a spot of fun

Wrong.

yes that is wrong, what i meant was it has SLi/xfire support compared to the UD3 variant.

bad wording on my part.