as for the other things to save money on i would change the motherboard to the UD4 variant as it has SLI/X-fire support @ x16.

Wrong.

yes that is wrong, what i meant was it has SLi/xfire support compared to the UD3 variant.

bad wording on my part.

They're all the same, 8x8x in crossfire/sli.

OK...a guy at work has said he can help me build the thing...is it really that easy to put together and get the cabling looking good?

Tax return should be coming in a week or so...I'll post my final *proposed* build just before ordering.

PC Case Gear best place to get the gear?

Cabling looking good is hard.

You learn quickly the limits of different sockets and cables (when you snap one :P)

And occasionally you need to cut and solder extension wires on to get them routing where you want.

BUT if you just want SEMI neat cabling, and a good build; its a cakewalk and only requires a screwdriver.

Bloody easy. Did my first at 13yrs, with no prior experience.

EDIT: pccasegear is the best ONLINE, MSY\UMART are the best offline.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I don’t know Master_Scythe my builds always have neat cabling ant I've never snapped a plug! How tight are you pulling these things? :-p

Just be sensible and gentle with all your parts - RTFM it'll tell you all you need to know about installation (most mobo manuals come with an assembly guide about half way through)

A lot of cable management relies on how well the case was designed - I had an original CM690 and the only difficult thing was that they didn’t leave enough room behind the tray to get the door back on easily. But I didn’t have to use any extensions of re-solder anything to hide all my cables. Before I upgraded to my HX650 I think I had to run the 8pin under the gap at the front of the pci cards but that was the only devious scheme. Other than that use cable ties to neatly tie everything behind the tray and run them as direct as possible and you wont have any troubles.

Edited by UberPenguin

OK...a guy at work has said he can help me build the thing...is it really that easy to put together and get the cabling looking good?

Tax return should be coming in a week or so...I'll post my final *proposed* build just before ordering.

just go with the build I showed you, I selected some parts so it will have an all black look and tie in with your cable management.

just go with the build I showed you, I selected some parts so it will have an all black look and tie in with your cable management.

I am pretty much going with that build...so all good there...really good tips moving away from the AMD to Intel.

The CM 690 II...does that have enough room behind the MoBo for good cabling? Reviews say it does...anyone have experience?

Going to try and build myself (with help from mate)...missus is waiting in the shadows with a big fat "I told you not to do that..."!!!

Don't worry so much, it's easy. As I said I have experience with the CM690 and it did have enough room but it was tight getting the door back on but I think they did give it a little more room in the rev2. I thinknyou got the corsair psu (?) if so they have a flat ribbon-esque cable and they are easier to fit

Cabling looking good is hard.

You learn quickly the limits of different sockets and cables (when you snap one :P)

And occasionally you need to cut and solder extension wires on to get them routing where you want.

BUT if you just want SEMI neat cabling, and a good build; its a cakewalk and only requires a screwdriver.

Bloody easy. Did my first at 13yrs, with no prior experience.

EDIT: pccasegear is the best ONLINE, MSY\UMART are the best offline.

Maybe back when they had those crappy beige OEM boxes...

I am pretty much going with that build...so all good there...really good tips moving away from the AMD to Intel.

The CM 690 II...does that have enough room behind the MoBo for good cabling? Reviews say it does...anyone have experience?

Going to try and build myself (with help from mate)...missus is waiting in the shadows with a big fat "I told you not to do that..."!!!

I have used a few cases with cable management in mind and all you have to do really is just stop and think where each cable needs to go and get a fuck load of zipties from bunnings in different sizes.

I have used a few cases with cable management in mind and all you have to do really is just stop and think where each cable needs to go and get a fuck load of zipties from bunnings in different sizes.

Good point on the cable ties...I'll make sure I get a load of them before building...

Zip ties are great, untill u need to remove them. then it can be snip, snip...opp's nicked a cable..... the reusable zip ties are a much better was to go, or even the velcro ties are best, they wont damage the cable by crimping it or cutting into it. and if need be you can just cut them thinner

1 more question before I lock in the overall components...the case.

What do people think...should I be going for the CM 690 II advanced of the antec P193...or does anyone have another suggestion?

Both get very similar scores on review...anyone got experience?

p193 is built to lower noise a bit which would be why it also costs a fair bit more

i would go with the p183 myself of one of these cases

antec 300 $59

Fractal Design Define R3 $139

Silverstone Raven RV03 $159

CoolerMaster ATCS 840 $278

SilverStone Fortress FT02 $279

I changed from the CM690 to the Fractal R3 and I think it genuinely is a better case. However, the main reason I changed cases was that the CM690 was a bit loud for me and the Fractal is much quieter. Compared to the original CM690 the cable management was better, the overall aesthetic was more appealing and I found the fact that it allowed for positive air pressure lowered my case temps. I also bought some extra fans for the CM690 when I was running them and transferred them over to the R3 when I changed (notcua 140mm and 120mm); some reviewers didn’t score it as well because the stock fans weren’t really enough to cool it (the R3) by its self.

But provided a case looks good to you, has a decent layout and cable management then there’s really no reason not to go with either of those cases. I found the CM690 to be great value for money and had lots of great features.

EDIT

You should be aware that even though the cable routing grommets on the R3 look great they pop out really easily when pushing cables through. It's not a deal breaker (at least it wasn't fo me) but it can be annoying when you are wiring for the first time.

Edited by UberPenguin

I have an Antec Solo and I like it. It's a good quality simple, quiet case.

1 more question before I lock in the overall components...the case.

What do people think...should I be going for the CM 690 II advanced of the antec P193...or does anyone have another suggestion?

Both get very similar scores on review...anyone got experience?

best ATX case is a Corsair 650D all the others are just pretenders.

Zip ties are great, untill u need to remove them. then it can be snip, snip...opp's nicked a cable..... the reusable zip ties are a much better was to go, or even the velcro ties are best, they wont damage the cable by crimping it or cutting into it. and if need be you can just cut them thinner

Use a pair of snips and be careful and you won't have a problem

I've found that the reusable zip ties and the velcro ones come loose over time. Much prefer zip ties myself, have done cable management on many, many cases and never snipped a wire in my life.

OK, it's been a few weeks...but finally the ATO has given me my tax return...so, I am now ready to shop.

Final build has a few tweaks from when I last posted...but not many:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K

CPU Fan: Cooler Master HYPER 212+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Motherboard

GPU: VTX3D Radeon HD6970 2GB X-Edition (not avaialble anywhere until 7-Sep!!!)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 3.5in 120GB SSD

DVD: Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive

Case: Antec P183 V3 Case

Power Supply: Corsair AX-850 850W

Monitor: Samsung S24A450BW 24in Widescreen LED Monitor (x2)

KB & Mouse: Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Combo

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003 (x2)

Extra thingy: Antec Easy SATA Hot Swap Caddy with eSATA Port - used to transfer old data from existing machine plus data backups

Total price on pccasegear is $2,677.

Decided against the Blu-Ray player - I don't have any and not likely to in the near future. DVD drive will be enough - and I have questioned included even that!!

Changed the case - Antec P183 over the Coolermaster - this missus over-ruled the case - and since she is letting me spend the money, I don't mind

1TB drives were not big enough and after some thought, changed to the 2TB Seagate drives - but does anyone know if these are any good? Is there a better sub-$100 2TB drives out there?

Pushed the boat out a little with the monitors being $289 each but they are 24", 1920 x 1200 resolution - anyone know if these are any good?

Going to push the "order" button in the next few days...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ridgemassey

Nice, I'm glad to see them re-releasing 1200p monitors. I just went to add one to my PCCG cart, and it took the shipping from $19 to $83 :/ No thanks.

I have the advantage here - a friend of mine will pick all the gear up for me - therefore removing the shipping cost...

For 2600 you should be getting way more than a single 6970.

Go for something like this

Posted Image

or perhaps getting two 6950s (twin frozr perhaps) and saving money for future upgrades

For 2600 you should be getting way more than a single 6970.

Go for something like this

Posted Image

or perhaps getting two 6950s (twin frozr perhaps) and saving money for future upgrades

OK...which is better? 2 x 6950 or 1 x 6970 to which I might add another one in 6 months or so?

OK, it's been a few weeks...but finally the ATO has given me my tax return...so, I am now ready to shop.

Extra thingy: Antec Easy SATA Hot Swap Caddy with eSATA Port - used to transfer old data from existing machine plus data backups

Decided against the Blu-Ray player - I don't have any and not likely to in the near future. DVD drive will be enough - and I have questioned included even that!!

Changed the case - Antec P183 over the Coolermaster - this missus over-ruled the case - and since she is letting me spend the money, I don't mind

1TB drives were not big enough and after some thought, changed to the 2TB Seagate drives - but does anyone know if these are any good? Is there a better sub-$100 2TB drives out there?

Pushed the boat out a little with the monitors being $289 each but they are 24", 1920 x 1200 resolution - anyone know if these are any good?

Going to push the "order" button in the next few days...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

those hdd are slow being 5900rpm but ok for just storing data

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200RPMSATA III 6.0Gb/s, $119 are as close as you will get to fast 2tb hdd under $100

if you looking to save cash drop the cpu back to 2500k and look at asrock ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $145 and maybe save a few $ on the ram

..which is better? 2 x 6950 or 1 x 6970 to which I might add another one in 6 months or so?

go with two 6950 now or just get one and upgrade to a totally new card in the not to distant future unless you find one cheap seconhand its often better to just upgrade after 6 months

HIS Radeon HD6950 2GB IceQ $279 its just much better value than the 6970 which is going up in price and its not that much slower

rest looks excellent to me

those hdd are slow being 5900rpm but ok for just storing data

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200RPMSATA III 6.0Gb/s, $119 are as close as you will get to fast 2tb hdd under $100

if you looking to save cash drop the cpu back to 2500k and look at asrock ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $145 and maybe save a few $ on the ram

..which is better? 2 x 6950 or 1 x 6970 to which I might add another one in 6 months or so?

go with two 6950 now or just get one and upgrade to a totally new card in the not to distant future unless you find one cheap seconhand its often better to just upgrade after 6 months

HIS Radeon HD6950 2GB IceQ $279 its just much better value than the 6970 which is going up in price and its not that much slower

rest looks excellent to me

Get your point on the graphic card - looked at the reviews for the 6950 and could get 1 of those now and upgrade the HDD's to the Hitachi Deskstars.

Lowers the price a little overall.

Sticking with the i7 and mobo / ram but will definitely consider the GC - with another one to come in a few weeks when I can save more pennies...