Well you could get one 6950, then wait out the new 28nm cards. If they totally kick ass and aren't too expensive, you could upgrade to one of those and not have 'wasted' much money. If they're not that much of an improvement/are way expensive, then getting another 6950 for even cheaper would still be a great option.

Well you could get one 6950, then wait out the new 28nm cards. If they totally kick ass and aren't too expensive, you could upgrade to one of those and not have 'wasted' much money. If they're not that much of an improvement/are way expensive, then getting another 6950 for even cheaper would still be a great option.

Since this is likely to be a one-time thing, I am leaning heavily towards a pair of 6950's (HIS Radeon HD6950 2GB IceQ) which seem to be pretty good in terms of performance...and at $279 each, will only add $149 to the overall build price.

If I leave everything else the same, including using the green HDD's, I can bring the whole build in at $2,826.

If I upgraded the HDD's to full speed ones, it will add another $68 to the price - total of $2,894.

But for that, I will get a machine that will play everything on ultra-high settings for quite a while to come...

Now to check the bank account to see if I have that money...

I can get this whole lot from scorptec for $2,296...

With a total price of $2,376 + delivery...

Total price (and it's climbing) is $2,475...which is now around my maximum budget...

Total price is now up a little further to $2,681 although I can bring this down to about $2,500 if I source the monitors through MSY...

Also, $2,500 is my limit...

Total price on pccasegear is $2,677...

If I leave everything else the same, including using the green HDD's, I can bring the whole build in at $2,826...

If I upgraded the HDD's to full speed ones, it will add another $68 to the price - total of $2,894...

Haha gotta love this.. you valiantly tried to hold out but in the end the computer won. I am currently planning a build and as usual am also suffering from this price creep effect: "but this is just an extra $50 and for just an extra $70 I get that" and suddenly you have jumped $600 somehow!

But what does your wife/boss think about all this? :)

Edited by chilli

I can get this whole lot from scorptec for $2,296...

With a total price of $2,376 + delivery...

Total price (and it's climbing) is $2,475...which is now around my maximum budget...

Total price is now up a little further to $2,681 although I can bring this down to about $2,500 if I source the monitors through MSY...

Also, $2,500 is my limit...

Total price on pccasegear is $2,677...

If I leave everything else the same, including using the green HDD's, I can bring the whole build in at $2,826...

If I upgraded the HDD's to full speed ones, it will add another $68 to the price - total of $2,894...

Haha gotta love this.. you valiantly tried to hold out but in the end the computer won. I am currently planning a build and as usual am also suffering from this price creep effect: "but this is just an extra $50 and for just an extra $70 I get that" and suddenly you have jumped $600 somehow!

But what does your wife/boss think about all this? :)

The wife (boss) will tell me to spend the money. I never get anything for myself and give all I earn to the wife and kids. So, she is giving me free reign with the exception of the case.

Having said that, sticking with the green HDD's but going with the twin 6850's.

Total price = $2,826. No delivery fee since I will pick it up myself.

two 6850s? or two 6950s?

There is quite a bit of difference between the two.

two 6850s? or two 6950s?

There is quite a bit of difference between the two.

oops...my bad...2 x 6950's (HIS Radeon HD6950 2GB IceQ)

The wife (boss) will tell me to spend the money. I never get anything for myself and give all I earn to the wife and kids. So, she is giving me free reign with the exception of the case.

Hehe I never get anything for myself either, but then my wife earns all the money, so seems fair... looking forward to seeing some pics of your build, have you decided whether or not to do it yourself yet?

Hehe I never get anything for myself either, but then my wife earns all the money, so seems fair... looking forward to seeing some pics of your build, have you decided whether or not to do it yourself yet?

Yep...building it myself. Friend of mine from work who is a certified geek / nerd / lord of all things techie has offered his help.

If it was just me, I'd end up with a mess of wires, several snapped and hastily glued on parts and a machine that would then be used to keep doors open.

With his help, I will have a kick *ss machine that will practically take of when I git the power button...pics of tte build...since it is a "closed case" (no window), I'll have to take some pics before it's all closed up...good idea...

Yep...building it myself. Friend of mine from work who is a certified geek / nerd / lord of all things techie has offered his help.

If it was just me, I'd end up with a mess of wires, several snapped and hastily glued on parts and a machine that would then be used to keep doors open.

Nah you'll do alright, it's kind of like lego.

My lego always used to have teeth marks in it when I was younger...

My lego always used to have teeth marks in it when I was younger...

Haha! I just got an image of you gnawing on your MB.. I know what you mean though, I was always lazy as a kid (and apparently fond of attempting to choke myself) and bit my lego creations to bits, especially if I just cut my fingernails. Was a sign I was to become a kind of a if it doesn't fit, just wriggle it a bit and use a butter knife instead of a screwdriver kind of guy.

OK...order now place.

I made some late amendments but here is the final, final build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K

CPU Fan: Cooler Master HYPER 212+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Motherboard

GPU: HIS Radeon HD6950 2GB IceQ (x2)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 3.5in 120GB SSD

DVD: Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive

Case: Antec P183 V3 Case - almost ordered the P193 by mistake - *phew*

Power Supply: Corsair AX-850 850W

Monitor: Samsung S24A450BW 24in Widescreen LED Monitor (x2)

KB & Mouse: Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Combo

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003 (x2)

Extra thingy: Antec Easy SATA Hot Swap Caddy with eSATA Port - used to transfer old data from existing machine plus data backups

By waiting an extra day and ensuring I had the right case selected (silly me!) I actually saved over $100.

Total price was a little over $2,700 I think...so $200 more than originally budgeted...but I get 2x monitors and 2x graphics cards...

I'll try and post some pics of the build once it's completed...which should be tomorrow.

No teeth marks on the MoBo...I promise

I'll try and post some pics of the build once it's completed...which should be tomorrow.

No teeth marks on the MoBo...I promise

How's things going ridgemassey? You winning?

How's things going ridgemassey? You winning?

It's done!

It's finished!!

It's built...

So, picked up the parts last Thursday, brought them into work.

Couple of guys here said they;d help me build the thing...long story short, I was the labour, they were the experts. 2.5 hours later, they stand back and ask me to do the honours and turn the power on...

...nothing! At all!!

I am not kidding when I say I practically messed my pants at this point. Back inside they went, into the innard and pressed some things and prodded some others. This time it works. And it's quiet.

Windows 7 installs in about 6 minutes - not really timing as by this time I was pretending to work again.

3DMark 11 got about 8,800(ish) which I thought was a poor, poor score...but apparently not.

1 thing for people to note though. The 850W modular PSU did not appear to have enough power for everything I put in the machine and I was 1 x SATA cable short...so had to add that later.

The only way the guys could get the 2 graphics cards working was by some minor miracle fiddling and cable magic stuff (that I don't understand). Word of warning, that's all.

Oh, and the other thing...if you are cross-firing cards, both monitors MUST be plugged into the primary card. Took me a lot of internet research to work that one out. PLUS, I then did not have the right connectors for the monitors. Should be fixed tonight though.

Learnings from a n00b.

Pcitures...have some pictures...

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 thing for people to note though. The 850W modular PSU did not appear to have enough power for everything I put in the machine and I was 1 x SATA cable short...so had to add that later.

The only way the guys could get the 2 graphics cards working was by some minor miracle fiddling and cable magic stuff (that I don't understand). Word of warning, that's all.

this makes no sense at all

that psu has 12 sata plugs and from what i can see you are only using 4

two 6950 in cf is fairly straight forward and if your not sure you check the manual

there is two cf bridges on in that pick fairly sure you only need the one but i dont think it matters

Edited by Dasa

this makes no sense at all

that psu has 12 sata plugs and from what i can see you are only using 4

two 6950 in cf is fairly straight forward and if your not sure you check the manual

there is two cf bridges on in that pick fairly sure you only need the one but i dont think it matters

I had the same question on the crossfire bridges...and from what I read, it recommends you use both connectors in case you lose some connectivity (albeit momentarily) in either / or.

As to the PSU, I honestly have no idea. Completely outside my area of expertise.

I do know that there are:

2 x graphic cards

2 x HDDs

1 x SSD

1 x HDD Drive Caddy

1 x DVD drive

all hanging of the PSU...plus of course the MoBo.

Anyway, the thing works, it's cool (don't think the CPU has been above 40 degrees yet) and it's fast and it's mine, all mine!!!!