Sign in to follow this  
fajw

quiet server for ClearOS

I want a quiet server. I have experience with many servers and generally they are very loud. I'm currently using the quietist one I've encountered, a Dell PowerEdge T300, but it's still noisy. I would like server grade hardware but if that means noisiness then I'll just get the consumer grade stuff. Can anyone recommend me server hardware that isn't noisy or should I just get the consumer grade stuff? The server will be running ClearOS which is based on CentOS which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. HDD noise doesn't bother me; it's just the fan noise that I dislike. The place I normally get my stuff from sells ASUS servers. Anyone had any experience with them? How are they for noise? Suggestions?

Thanks.

if you need a redundant psu or a rackmount setup it wouldnt be easy but otherwise you just change a few cooling parts and use quiet psu\case like fractal r3 and seasonic x and your set

fajw, most (real) servers I've heard are noisy. Noise is not factor in server builds, they get put in server farms where people don't hear them anyway.

What's with the pics?

I couldn't see these ones:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe my proxy is blocking them.

Thanks Dasa and Jeruselem for your replies. I've had a look at the T300 and it looks like a proprietary setup and even if I could change the other fans, I fear the PSUs would be making too much noise too. Is a server board likely to be better and more reliable than a normal one? I can get a Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927); I'm just not sure if it will be compatible with ClearOS. I was also thinking of getting the Lian li PC-Z60 as it has six hot swap HDD bays. Thoughts?

My face palms are becuase you could just swap out the fans which are most likely going to be the main issue with noise.What Fans are in your Dell PowerEdge T300? Your going to find that most enterprise gear is going to come with stuff like 5000rpm delta fans as your heat sinks will all be passive.

Have a look at the thermal solution for the below T300 and you may understand what im getting at.

Posted Image

Edited by mudg3

for anyone to help you with speching out a new build they will need to know what this rig is used for and what kinda load it will be under

dose the work it will be doing load up over a dozen cores or use lots of ram?

what kinda hdd and network requirements are you looking at?

the dell t300 is a single cpu system where as that that old tyan mb is dual cpu

cant find any hsf for the Socket 1207 cpu that tyan mb uses still for sale so that would make things hard

I bought a Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927) and I changed a BIOS setting to make the CPU fans quiet and I used ClearOS with it and made sure it is all compatible so it's all good. I will buy 3 2TB WS RE4 HDDs (for RAID 5) and a Lian li PC-Z60 and perhaps a PSU. With the PSU I need an eight pin cable for the motherboard. Can I use two of the four pin ones or do I need the eight pin? I was thinking of getting an Enermax PRO87+ 500W CrossFireX™ (ErP Lot 6) EPG500AWT-01 but it has two of the four pin cables and not the eight pin one.

Oh, and in the BIOS setup there's a thing called AMD PowerNow and it has a P-state setting that can be 0-4. What do these settings do?

I finally built it and it's much better. Not silent, but much better. I wonder whether it might be worth looking for some replacement CPU cooler(s).

As pointed out, we really need to know what its for.

If this server is going to have some heavy loads... well servers have those fans for a very good reason.

If not then you really don't need the overkill of that much power.

As pointed out, we really need to know what its for.

If this server is going to have some heavy loads... well servers have those fans for a very good reason.

If not then you really don't need the overkill of that much power.

Probably for this

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=45177

in which case any quiet low powered consumer grade gear would have been fine.

Any quiet low powered consumer grade gear would have been fine? I think not.

Strong knowledge of computers you have...

Ahh what the hell are you running on a gateway that would need that?

Most of the mid end cisco ASA firewalls are running p4's still.

Are you serving hundreds of thousands of users?

For a simple home gateway server? Of course it would have. You are not running a corporate network shoving out Group Policies and Exchange server stuff to hundreds of PCs.

on the subject of why servers are noisy, its usually because of the low profile design of a rack chassis, full of 60mm fans running full blast as those are the biggest fans that fit, also because noise isn't a problem but in a server farm, a few degrees increase in temperature could be cause for concern.

depending on what your using it for, at home a regular case is usually fine, or a large tower case even better.

on the subject of why servers are noisy, its usually because of the low profile design of a rack chassis, full of 60mm fans running full blast as those are the biggest fans that fit, also because noise isn't a problem but in a server farm, a few degrees increase in temperature could be cause for concern.

depending on what your using it for, at home a regular case is usually fine, or a large tower case even better.

That and i enjoy the soothing noise when i'm at the data center.

Same time though i think he is referring to a tower server, but the whole fan thing with that is due to the case size constraints and the amount of hardware jammed in.

So... same shit different smell.

lol yeah I was about to say. Our RSA box that looks after 30k RSA tokens is a 1st gen dual core xeon. Dosnt even lift its finger and I've got a Hp N36L at home with a netbook CPU thats running 6 vn's 24/7. OP is lol

lol yeah I was about to say. Our RSA box that looks after 30k RSA tokens is a 1st gen dual core xeon. Dosnt even lift its finger and I've got a Hp N36L at home with a netbook CPU thats running 6 vn's 24/7. OP is lol

If it doesn't have a gui it can just about run on a 386...

or an old athlon like my firewall at home though which i'm currently streaming music though to my work with no drops or issues what so ever.

I was advised by the ClearOS guys to use server hardware and I thought server hardware would be more reliable. Is this not the case? I know the processing power is more than enough, but it was the only suitable server-grade stuff I could find at the time.

I don't think server noise is due to the size of the space in the case; the smaller the free space in the case the better it is cooled I think.