hi guys

haven't posted here for years now, just thought i kick start my account again

anyways looking to get a 2 bay NAS atm, but not sure which brand to choose

from my research comes down to synology and QNAP.

just mainly for having a file/media server although don't mind putting a webpage on it in the future...

any help?

no one on whirlpool seem to know

Well me being me I would (and have) built my own so I have more control over the hardware etc.

Cheapy Aywun case with 320W PSU (to be replaced at some stage with one with a quieter fan, which is the only fan in the whole case).

Asus E35M1-M mobo

http://www.asus.com.au/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M/

with inbuilt AMD Fusion APU E-350 Dual-Core onboard Processor (18W TDP)

4Gb DDR3 RAM

2 x 2Tb green drives

Windows Home Server 2011.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/default.mspx

Sits in the spare room with no monitor KB or Mouse hooked up to it and does the big downloads, file and media serving to my PC and networked PVR and backups of my PC.

All controlled through remote desktop (when needed) and the WHS Dashboard.

Server also backs itself and all data on the first drive (2 partitions) to the second hard drive on a set schedule.

Find a HP mini server.

No, honestly.

Tey can often be had for $200 ($250 is nominal)

They use fuck all power, support 4 HDD's (and a CD rom and an SSD, so technically, up to 6 HDD's if you're tricky)

Install windows home server.

Kick back.

Find a HP mini server.

No, honestly.

They use fuck all power, support 4 HDD's (and a CD rom and an SSD, so technically, up to 6 HDD's if you're tricky)

Kick back.

I've got 6 drives in mine and a SSD :P

i've looked at the HP servers,

but i want something smaller, cos a 2 bay i can just throw somewhere....

and i don't think i'd ever need a 4 bay device...

i've looked at the HP servers,

but i want something smaller, cos a 2 bay i can just throw somewhere....

and i don't think i'd ever need a 4 bay device...

stick away from netgear. we have had 3 DOA (didnt shit me too much) but their support handling/escalating has been terrible. Ive had to spend about 2-3 days on it before they would escalate it as now it is completely fucked.. the other one works ok though. couldnt get domain integration to work but didnt really need that anyway.

Edited by B82R3S

I am using a Netgear Ready NAS Duo

It is pretty damn good. I mean it does the job for file sharing/storage

Find a HP mini server.

No, honestly.

Kick back.

How do we not have a microserver thread? I got one of these a few weeks ago and my penis is still rock hard over it!

Slowly but surely increasing the amount of disks. buying a new 2tb each week hoping to fit 6 in + 1 notebook drive for booting.

Find a HP mini server.

No, honestly.

Kick back.

How do we not have a microserver thread? I got one of these a few weeks ago and my penis is still rock hard over it!

Slowly but surely increasing the amount of disks. buying a new 2tb each week hoping to fit 6 in + 1 notebook drive for booting.

I've slowly been putting mine together just waiting on my SSD to complete it and ill be away with a build thread.

I've slowly been putting mine together just waiting on my SSD to complete it and ill be away with a build thread.

Why the SSD? boot drive or somesuch?

also thought I'd make note, the disks are hotswappable. you just need to issue the right command under linux to release the drive from the OS. from what I heard they're labelled as not hot-swappable because the appropriate drivers exist for windows.

Edited by Linux_Inside V2

Why the SSD? boot drive or somesuch?

also thought I'd make note, the disks are hotswappable. you just need to issue the right command under linux to release the drive from the OS. from what I heard they're labelled as not hot-swappable because the appropriate drivers exist for windows.

ESXi

ESXi

You're right, I should buy another microserver and install ESXI to train for work on it :)

Yeah I'm going to use it as a storage box and a training box for my VCP.

I haven't played with QNAP stuff but I have done a bit with the budget end Synology 211j.

They are a solid unit but besides HDDs there is no upgrade options (such as Ram)

Have a look at Freenas as an alternative OS if you want to DIY.

+1 for FreeNAS. For a bespoke solution hard to go past.

I've just installed Netgear ReadyNAS with a 4 2TB drives, been running well thus far.

we got our readynas working (5th time of changing out disks and wiping it, using the original set worked) get maybe 25mb/sec read... cruddy unit.. at least the silver ones are, i got told the black ones are x86 and faster.

I'm looking into something, I dunno what, but it would need to have the speed for at least 2 people to watch media on it over the network and roughly 8Tb capacity, but I'm not sure if shithole green drives are up to the task.

I'm looking into something, I dunno what, but it would need to have the speed for at least 2 people to watch media on it over the network and roughly 8Tb capacity, but I'm not sure if shithole green drives are up to the task.

Easy solution, bring a PC or laptop out to my place and hook it up to my lan and see how my WHS box does streaming to your pc, my pc etc etc. The WHS box has two Samsung 2Tb green drives in it.

Got a choice of AVIs, MKVs and ISO to try.

Edited by aliali

Well me being me I would (and have) built my own so I have more control over the hardware etc.

Cheapy Aywun case with 320W PSU (to be replaced at some stage with one with a quieter fan, which is the only fan in the whole case).

Asus E35M1-M mobo

http://www.asus.com.au/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M/

with inbuilt AMD Fusion APU E-350 Dual-Core onboard Processor (18W TDP)

4Gb DDR3 RAM

2 x 2Tb green drives

Windows Home Server 2011.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/default.mspx

Sits in the spare room with no monitor KB or Mouse hooked up to it and does the big downloads, file and media serving to my PC and networked PVR and backups of my PC.

All controlled through remote desktop (when needed) and the WHS Dashboard.

Server also backs itself and all data on the first drive (2 partitions) to the second hard drive on a set schedule.

What model is your case? im looking at building my own file server/htpc and didnt want to spend over 100 on the case. I couldnt see any mini-itx on pccasegear (Link to the Aywun cases) that would support 2 or more hdd's?

Edited by twents

What model is your case?

Just grabbed a super cheapy Aywun A1-101

mini tower

Micro ATX case

0.5mm SGCC

External:5.25"x2 / 3.5"x2 bays

Internal 3.5"x3 bays

4 expansion slots, front audio and USB,

Case size 390x180x360mm, can fit in long VGA card up to 350mm long

Room for optional 8/12cm fan in front, 8/12cm fan in side and 8/9cm fan

Posted Image

It just sits in the corner of the spare room doing it's thing so wasn't fussed about looks or anything. Just had to fit the hardware I bought.

Edited by aliali