Sign in to follow this  
F117_Nighthawk

Unhealthy Drive?

Those drops in transfer rates by themselves could mean nothing at all. It could merely be corrupt files or some such. I had problems like that initially with the same model of Seagate HDD, which is still in my system, but thus far hasnt been a problem at all. I would run scandisk or some such utility to see if there is a filesystem corruption. Other than that, I have no answer at this time.

The drive is about 2 years old,

yeah I've had issues with it in the past with bad sectors etc. but it plays up every few weeks

If the same drive has bad sectors in the past, it's time to keep an eye on it and prepare for putting your stuff on a new drive.

Do some proper diagnostics dude.

First make sure S.M.A.R.T is turned on in the bios for that drive, then as you have a Seagate download Seatools from the seagate website.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

or get the UBCD which has seatools on it

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I prefer the DOS version as it eliminates Windows being a bitch and interfering with the test results.

If the drive fails any test, replace ASAP.

I don't think it's a problem. I think it just means there is data on the drive. HDTune is for benchmarking drives without data on them AFAIK.

Yeah I've tried SeaTools with a full scan, says there is no errors. I've been getting strange performance out of it for a few months with the temp sensors going etc.