Hey,

I am in the process of planning a home file server, basically for Videos, Music that i will be streaming over my home network and Pictures, and some games that ill be Hosting.

Now I'm going for something low powered cheap to run because its going to be on nearly 24/7, I am hoping to have it switch off at around 1am and turn back on at around 9am.

Apart from that its going to need to be able to run something like a Minecraft server.

Any input on Windows Home Server 2011 would be great as well, this will be my preferred OS.

My current budget is $1000 and i was thinking something along the lines of the new AMD FM1 socket A8 3850 Quad core since I want to go small form factor case like Micro ATX or even smaller with a many harddrive bays.

I wont be buying just yet and am thinking of leaving it closer to December when ill have some extra money to play with from extra Birthday Funds. So feel free to chuck in any future release hardware that has a confirmed price....

Any questions ill be happy to answer :P

HP N36L microserver : $250

Posted Image

Specs:

Processor:

AMD Athlon™ II NEO N36L
	AMD RS785E/SB820M chipset

Memory:

Two (2) DIMM slots   (pick up a 4gb kit cheap as chips)
	1GB (1x1GB) Standard/8GB Maximum, using PC3-10600E DDR3 Unbuffered UDIMM) ECC memory, operating at max. 800MHz

Storage Controller:

Embedded AMD SATA controller with RAID 0, 1
	Embedded AMD eSATA controller for connecting external storage devices via the eSATA connector in the rear of the server

Storage Drive Support:

4 Internal HDD Support
	Maximum internal SATA storage capacity of up to 8.0TB (4 x 2TB 3.5" SATA drives)  <4x2tb drives or 6 drives in my case :P

Network Controller: Embedded NC107i PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter (Broadcom)
Expansion Slots:

Slot 1: PCI-Express Gen 2 x16 connector with x16 link
	Slot 2: PCI-Express Gen 2 x1 connector with x1 Link
	Slot 2-2: PCI-Express x4 slot for optional management card

USB 2.0 Ports: Seven (7) USB 2.0 ports: 4 front , 2 rear, 1 internal (for tape)
Power Supply: 150 Watts Non-Hot Plug, Non Redundant Power Supp

http://www.megabuy.com.au/hp-proliant-n36l...11-p255124.html

KGO!

Edited by mudg3

HP N36L microserver : $250

Posted Image

Specs:

Processor:

AMD Athlon™ II NEO N36L
	AMD RS785E/SB820M chipset

Memory:

Two (2) DIMM slots   (pick up a 4gb kit cheap as chips)
	1GB (1x1GB) Standard/8GB Maximum, using PC3-10600E DDR3 Unbuffered UDIMM) ECC memory, operating at max. 800MHz

Storage Controller:

Embedded AMD SATA controller with RAID 0, 1
	Embedded AMD eSATA controller for connecting external storage devices via the eSATA connector in the rear of the server

Storage Drive Support:

4 Internal HDD Support
	Maximum internal SATA storage capacity of up to 8.0TB (4 x 2TB 3.5" SATA drives)  <4x2tb drives or 6 drives in my case :P

Network Controller: Embedded NC107i PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter (Broadcom)
Expansion Slots:

Slot 1: PCI-Express Gen 2 x16 connector with x16 link
	Slot 2: PCI-Express Gen 2 x1 connector with x1 Link
	Slot 2-2: PCI-Express x4 slot for optional management card

USB 2.0 Ports: Seven (7) USB 2.0 ports: 4 front , 2 rear, 1 internal (for tape)
Power Supply: 150 Watts Non-Hot Plug, Non Redundant Power Supp

http://www.megabuy.com.au/hp-proliant-n36l...11-p255124.html

KGO!

Looks good however Iwant more power!, remember I have a $1000 to spend here

What kind of power do you want? Im running 6 vm's on this 24/7.

Basiclly I want it to last a long time, so as much storage as possible while keeping it small but powerfull...

HP EX490

Similar to that with more processing power...

Basiclly I want it to last a long time, so as much storage as possible while keeping it small but powerfull...

HP EX490

Both of those processors are pretty close performance wise. The ultimate question is though why do you require so much processing power when most of the time its going to just sit there idle and for just file server duties its still over powered.

What is going to me your main limiting factor when hosting anything for mine craft is your internet connection.

http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

Ill be hosting moslty locally, having about 4 people on my home network, and 3 outside externally. I know my connection can handle 3 externally since i do it now with my PC.

I will also have an RDP open from work as ill be doing regular downloads to on it to keep folders in check.

Well in that case the N36L would be perfect too. Would you really prefer to build something yourself?

Edited by mudg3

I would rather build something myself, its half the fun....

Fair enough. How much data are we talking about storing here? How many drives do you want?

HP EX490

With that particular server, you could yank the cpu out and put in another more powerfull LGA775 Cpu in, say a E/Q8XXX or even a E/Q6XXX or whatever is the highest cpu supported by its bios.

HP EX490

With that particular server, you could yank the cpu out and put in another more powerfull LGA775 Cpu in, say a E/Q8XXX or even a E/Q6XXX or whatever is the highest cpu supported by its bios.

Issue is that it only has one DIMM Slot

At the moment im limited with my drives, in total I probably have 2tb, thought its going to expand since my family is going to be using the it too, 6tb is probably safe 8 would be better

4 drives at most

I just did this in 5 mins based on what you posted. You could get rid of the SSD and the 3tb drives and swap them for 2tb drives but its entirely up to you. :)

Posted Image

Edited by mudg3

haha, thats awesome similar to what I had looked at, minus the harddrive configuration, ram and case.

How do you think windows home server 2011 will run?

haha, thats awesome similar to what I had looked at, minus the harddrive configuration, ram and case.

How do you think windows home server 2011 will run?

Easy mode man. I believe HS2011 has issues with 3tb drives so it would be a safe bet to change to like 4x2tb drives which would get you another 2tb of storage if your just going to setup a single storage pool. Will you have any backup system in place for data?

havent really thought of backups, I will work something out, hopefully see some price drops around some of those parts by the time I buy.

havent really thought of backups, I will work something out, hopefully see some price drops around some of those parts by the time I buy.

hmm you may see some changes in HDD prices but thats about it. Most of the stuff is dirt cheap as it is.

+1 on HP Microserver.

I'm playing with one at the moment, just have everything stock except I upgraded the memory to 8GB as memory is cheap nowadays. Played with both server 2008 R2 and WHS 2011 and each runs very well. Tested media streaming and it doesn't miss a beat. Just a note, if you want to play MKV's, best to get a dedicated video card. Also another big note, its dead silent. Perfect for a HTPC.

Easy mode man. I believe HS2011 has issues with 3tb drives so it would be a safe bet to change to like 4x2tb

Pfft! make it six! there's an esata port on the back and an onboard sata for optical. and a bios patch to give you 3GBPS + AHCI support on the Optical drives sata port.

You can boot windows from usb right?

Just ordered one of those HP Microservers after seeing this thread! They look awesome I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Do you have to use ECC RAM?