seehund

Just buy a mother-flippin' light!

I am utterly sick to fucking death of near-misses with both other riders and walkers/runners in the wee small hours who are too fucking miserly or stupid to spend (at the very least) $5 - $10 for a light or two when they're out in the dark.

I leave the house to ride in by 0530 and I'm lit up like a fucking christmas tree (mainly because most of my ride is on the road) with 3 sets of lights and 3 separate reflectors. Part of my ride is on shared paths along Yarra Boulevard and further on the city-bound trail. Now, there's not much lighting along these paths at that time of the morning and in some parts there's none at all. One section even though unlit, is made even more dicey by the fact the lights from the Monash wash out visibility of the path until you drop below the road level. This means that while I've got my front light on solid and peering into the dark, I'm less likely to see some camouflaged retard that usual.

Too many times (including this morning) I've almost run down other riders or walkers who have no lights at all (and in some cases no helmets) and a near pathologically stupid fetish for wearing dark/black clothing.

What.

The.

Fuck?

If I was unlucky enough to hit them then they're likely to cop about 107kg of bike and person travelling at around (on those sections) 20km/h. I'll come out on top injury wise.

If running people down in the dark isn't bad enough, my near miss this morning almost sent me off the fucking path and down a rather uneven, steep hill directly into the Yarra. I can guarantee I'd drag myself back up out of the drink and brain the living fuck out of the douchebag who caused it with my frame too.

I'm frustrated, pissed and can't understand the logic of these fuckwits who think it's safe or cool to get around in the dark without hi-viz clothing or a simple fucking LED light.

Cockheads.

/rant

Edit: Oh, and if you're a rider...GET A FUCKING BELL YOU IGNORANT FUCKWITS!

Edited by seehund

Tanty: More so that stupid cyclists are dickheads. Like stupid drivers are dickheads and runners who run in between traffic and cross roads in front of cars are dickheads.

I always thought that was cycling 101 ... be as 'seen' as you possibly can be.

Tanty: More so that stupid cyclists are dickheads. Like stupid drivers are dickheads and runners who run in between traffic and cross roads in front of cars are dickheads.

There seems to be a fraternity of arrogance and stupidity building in the Melbourne cycling community over the last couple of years. I'm actually seeing less riders with lights and viz than I used to. It doesn't make sense.

There seems to be a fraternity of arrogance and stupidity building in the Melbourne cycling community over the last couple of years. I'm actually seeing less riders with lights and viz than I used to. It doesn't make sense.

It's the hipsters, man. Putting a flashing light on your fixie is, like, so uncool. It totally clashes with the post-structuralist interpretation of your vintage-look cycling cardigan.

It's the hipsters, man. Putting a flashing light on your fixie is, like, so uncool. It totally clashes with the post-structuralist interpretation of your vintage-look cycling cardigan.

Look at this fucking hipster :p

Posted Image

I once spent a whole evening flicking through this website:

http://www.latfh.com/

I can't decide if I hate them because they're such pretentious wankers, or if I'm just glad that at least they're not bogans.

Yeah, I agree with all of you.

We should run cyclists off the road. They're all really stupid. Amen.

We all saw you the first time.

I tried to add some reason and non-aggressive to this thread, you're trying to stir things up. Just some food for thought. This issue must be a little close to heart here.

This is an utter record - second time in a week I utterly agree with See :)

It's just as bad in Perth - I don't ride but I do often drive at rather odd times of the day and night, the number of times I have had to swerve very suddenly to avoid an idiot on a bike, with no lights, no reflectors and yeah, often no helmet, is beyond counting.

Perth is actually not badly set-up for cyclists but I've even seen twits riding on the road when there is a perfectly good bike track right along side......

Cheers

Too many times (including this morning) I've almost run down other riders or walkers who have no lights at all (and in some cases no helmets) and a near pathologically stupid fetish for wearing dark/black clothing.

+1 to that … if you make yourself hard to be seen, while I don't go out of my way to run people over, you are more or less asking for it to happen.

Dark clothing + no lighting = invisible

Invisible = impossible for me to know you are there in order to give you right-of-way.

Edit: Oh, and if you're a rider...GET A FUCKING BELL YOU IGNORANT FUCKWITS!

Yes well… in my experience the bell is next to useless. Every second I spend ringing that thing, is a second that hand is away from the brake lever and controls. That, and I find they're no match against a full-blast iPod. Pedestrians just hear this quiet "ding" in the background, and think nothing of it.

I've since mounted indicators on my bike. The indicator units are LED motorcycle indicators sold by SuperCheap, and I've wired them up to a NE555 timer and IRF540N MOSFET. That was revision 1 of the indicators, which worked well bar one problem, they were silent. Not only could pedestrians not hear them, I also found I sometimes left them on by accident. So I installed an 85dB buzzer with a diode-OR arrangement. So instead of hearing a single "ding", pedestrians hear the constant "BEEP BEEP BEEP" of the buzzer … that, plus the flashing lights, gets their attention a lot faster.

...I've almost run down other riders or walkers who have no lights at all (and in some cases no helmets) and a near pathologically stupid fetish for wearing dark/black clothing.

including walkers is, perhaps, a bit much.

not sure how much you intend to generalise but i am mindful that youre possibly bitching about the specifics of particular pathways and conditions whereabouts your arguments garner extra credence. i can tell you that there are some long bike tracks near my home that i am wont to walk at night, and i will be damned if i am going to acquire either a roadwork vest nor uncharacteristically brighter clothes for the express purpose of doing so!

but then, the conditions are such that nearby traffic doesnt drown out the sound of approaching cycles too much, even though there is scant spill from streetlights onto the track. its generally dark-ish, and some undulations of the track have both dark and blind corners, but i tend to have my wits about me and am capable of judging when its best to walk off-track for a while or frequently check my six.

ya know, in practice, the evolution of the shared pedestrian and cycleway has not resulted in nearly as many universally agreed upon rules as it seems you would dearly wish. when it comes to the little old black-cardigan-wearing lady out for an evening stroll, to my mind, the onus should not be on her to avoid a 107kg cannon ball with her cunning dress sense. the onus should not be on her, or any other casual pedestrian to know where you are and what you can and cant see under the conditions. its up to YOU to be a noisy christmas tree. and if thats not enough, be a noisy christmas tree with a more powerful spotty :)

Edited by @~thehung

Posted Image

And man, what's with these skinny guys with moustaches? That shit pisses me right off.

I thought it was a pic of you?!

Posted Image

And man, what's with these skinny guys with moustaches? That shit pisses me right off.

I thought it was a pic of you?!

Pfft, like I'd wax my mo up like that. So 2009.

not sure how much you intend to generalise but i am mindful that youre possibly bitching about the specifics of particular pathways and conditions whereabouts your arguments garner extra credence. i can tell you that there are some long bike tracks near my home that i am wont to walk at night, and i will be damned if i am going to acquire either a roadwork vest nor uncharacteristically brighter clothes for the express purpose of doing so!

In that case you shouldn't walk in the dark on unlit shared paths.

From seehund's description this appears to be a shared access path. If I'm a pedestrian, i need to be mindful that a pusshie can be up my clacker in no time if I go out dressed as a ninja.

It's just (un)common sense...

I disagree there… BOTH parties, should be doing everything within their power to warn each other of their presence.

If I can't see you, I won't know to alert you. I won't know to hit the brakes or divert course. Not until it's too late.

I will do everything within my power to prevent a collision, however, the pedestrian that deliberately chooses clothing that makes them difficult to see, greatly increases their chances of being missed, and I make no apology for that. It's not up to me to go mounting RADAR or IR sensing equipment on my bicycle to be able to see you in the dark.

...I've almost run down other riders or walkers who have no lights at all (and in some cases no helmets) and a near pathologically stupid fetish for wearing dark/black clothing.

but then, the conditions are such that nearby traffic doesnt drown out the sound of approaching cycles too much, even though there is scant spill from streetlights onto the track. its generally dark-ish, and some undulations of the track have both dark and blind corners, but i tend to have my wits about me and am capable of judging when its best to walk off-track for a while or frequently check my six.

ya know, in practice, the evolution of the shared pedestrian and cycleway has not resulted in nearly as many universally agreed upon rules as it seems you would dearly wish. when it comes to the little old black-cardigan-wearing lady out for an evening stroll, to my mind, the onus should not be on her to avoid a 107kg cannon ball with her cunning dress sense. the onus should not be on her, or any other casual pedestrian to know where you are and what you can and cant see under the conditions. its up to YOU to be a noisy christmas tree. and if thats not enough, be a noisy christmas tree with a more powerful spotty :)

"i can tell you that there are some long bike tracks near my home that i am wont to walk at night, and i will be damned if i am going to acquire either a roadwork vest nor uncharacteristically brighter clothes for the express purpose of doing so!" Then you waive your right to sympathy and or credibility when you get taken out by a rider trying to do the right thing.

"not sure how much you intend to generalise but i am mindful that youre possibly bitching about the specifics of particular pathways and conditions whereabouts your arguments garner extra credence." Of course I am! That's why I specified that particular track and that particular point of the track frequented by walkers and riders alike at that time of the morning...unless of course this is just a back-handed way at calling me a bullshitter?

"the onus should not be on her, or any other casual pedestrian to know where you are and what you can and cant see under the conditions. its up to YOU to be a noisy christmas tree. and if thats not enough, be a noisy christmas tree with a more powerful spotty :)" Bullshit. I am noisy, and lit up and have more than ample lighting but as users of the same shared pathway during times when there's little or no lighting there's a certain amount of responsibility that they also have to undertake if they want to be avoided.

It's common sense and common courtesy FFS.

Edited by seehund

yeah i say kick em off their bikes as u go round, though i agree everyone should do their best to help to be seen, that said however... if your doing 20 kph on a "shared" pathway and cant see till the last second to avoid them, then i put it to you, perhaps you should also think about slowing down, just a bit .

Again however i'll say, if they on a bike, no lights and especialy no helmet, i'd be damn tempted to give em a booting as i went past.

Pedestrians tend to scatter in any direction upon hearing a bell. It's like panic mode.

I like to yell a good 'bike on your right' when approaching walkers on the yarra trail. Not perfect given people sometimes forget which is their right hand side, but better than the random scattering a bell can cause. Keeping to the left, and following a constant line relative to the path helps to avoid problems when I'm walking on it.

Pedestrians tend to scatter in any direction upon hearing a bell. It's like panic mode.

I like to yell a good 'bike on your right' when approaching walkers on the yarra trail. Not perfect given people sometimes forget which is their right hand side, but better than the random scattering a bell can cause. Keeping to the left, and following a constant line relative to the path helps to avoid problems when I'm walking on it.

Same here...I use my bell and slow down around walkers/runners if I can see them. I'm not an utter maniac when I have to use the paths (most of my ride is on the roads) but I do go fast and safely where possible.

"i can tell you that there are some long bike tracks near my home that i am wont to walk at night, and i will be damned if i am going to acquire either a roadwork vest nor uncharacteristically brighter clothes for the express purpose of doing so!" Then you waive your right to sympathy and or credibility when you get taken out by a rider trying to do the right thing.

"not sure how much you intend to generalise but i am mindful that youre possibly bitching about the specifics of particular pathways and conditions whereabouts your arguments garner extra credence." Of course I am! That's why I specified that particular track and that particular point of the track frequented by walkers and riders alike at that time of the morning...unless of course this is just a back-handed way at calling me a bullshitter?

"the onus should not be on her, or any other casual pedestrian to know where you are and what you can and cant see under the conditions. its up to YOU to be a noisy christmas tree. and if thats not enough, be a noisy christmas tree with a more powerful spotty :)" Bullshit. I am noisy, and lit up and have more than ample lighting but as users of the same shared pathway during times when there's little or no lighting there's a certain amount of responsibility that they also have to undertake if they want to be avoided.

It's common sense and common courtesy FFS.

nope. common sense and courtesy is a culture that holds this to be true: its rarely, if ever, the little old lady's fault!

you highlighted 'bike tracks' but i meant 'shared pathways', as i said later. people have a right to walk around their homes, parks, footpaths, and yes, designated shared pathways — without the mandatory donning of cyclist-repellent wear. to suggest someone wearing dark clothes at night waives rights to personal safety is utterly ridiculous.

as for myself, if i got hit i would be willing to share some responsibility, since by my own standards of alertness it should never have happened. and wouldn't! but being the conscientious civic minded fellow that i am, i also know that some people out there are a lot more vulnerable than me, and for whatever reason, in the natural course of their normal law abiding lives, may have found themselves momentarily walking upon a shared stretch of concrete. they could be there extemporaneously, for any given random and one-off purpose, and very far from possessing the mindset of being rigidly engaged in a set task, like the serious business of 'riding to work' or 'riding from A to B'. your expectations are ever so slightly unrealistic.

you got me wrong here: "...unless of course this is just a back-handed way at calling me a bullshitter?". quite the opposite mate :) that was a respectful concession to the fact that specific conditions could make all the difference. just as i could march you out to many specific stretches of track where you might agree that here the nighttime choice of dark clothes does not equate to 'antisocial and dangerous risk taking behaviour', you could show me areas where i might readily agree with you. please read my response mostly as a caution against your possible generalisations.

but back to realistic expectations. if i walk up to a busy road, its self evident that jaywalking here is more dangerous than elsewhere and if attempted will have to be done quickly. if i fuck it up, its my fault for sure. because you couldnt count all the indicators that comprise 'common knowledge' of what happens on and near roads. theres education, theres legislation, extensive signage, reportage of accidents, and bloody big noisy bright fast moving cars. theres a billion things. but i fear the same cues arent there, and the culture of public 'common knowledge' regarding bike tracks is not anywhere near as advanced as you wish it to be.

before i gave it up, i clocked up thousands of kilometres riding. more than enough mileage to know that some pedestrians are dumb as shit and its not their fault. just like the puppy you see straining his lead to chase car tyres. he simply isnt aware of the physics and how unprepared he is to foresee eventualities. it may be that its all too easy for you to forget, as an experienced habitual cyclist and (older) angry young man, that many people out there spend almost zero time thinking about cyclists and cycling and have never had much reason to.

theres many many ordinary people out there, who, as they stand on an apparently silent and 'un-busy' track have neither 1st or 2nd hand experience of how fast some cyclists travel, how quiet some cyclists are, the limits to the forward visibility afforded by your average bike lamp, nor the unique ways that direct and ambient light can affect the vision of approaching cyclists, who, through the misapplication of situational awareness overwhelmingly honed for roads and cars, and lifelong experience with leisurely strolls and chats that happened to veer onto a 'bike track' at dusk or well beyond that, have a false sense of security. whats more, most of them will complete their unknowing dalliance with potential death on the dark and dangerous bike track completely unmolested, as will their friends, and all and sundry will remain just as ignorant until the next time. what i am saying is, i dont entirely blame them! i certainly dont blame that little old lady you hypothetically maimed. poor little old lady :(

so my advice to you is: get a bigger battery, a klaxon, a spotty, and then get over yourself! (okay proper trollin now :P)

Edited by @~thehung