seehund

Just buy a mother-flippin' light!

@~thehung, so are you inferring that essentially the responsibilty is all mine to look out for the "safety" of anyone on the path I'm "sharing"?

@~thehung, so are you inferring that essentially the responsibilty is all mine to look out for the "safety" of anyone on the path I'm "sharing"?

Seems that way… if someone dresses in dark clothing then lays across the bicycle path in an unlit area at the bottom of a dip, it's our fault for running over them even though it was impossible to know of their presence.

Just... START A FUCKIN' RIOT!

That actually gave me a good hearty chuckle. :) Sorry if that's dog. Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I ride in black, have no lights, no helmet, and no bell.

I'm so fucking cool (and no, I'm not lying).

Also;

Seems that way… if someone dresses in dark clothing then lays across the bicycle path in an unlit area at the bottom of a dip, it's our fault for running over them even though it was impossible to know of their presence.

Way to take a completely ridiculous scenario and use it to further the 'argument' (used loosely).

If somebody is voluntarily lying across a bike path, regardless of clothing, or lights... it's their own fault if they get hurt, or cause somebody else to get hurt.

Edited by ezkaton

when it comes to the drastically lower mass and momentum of pedestrians, yes and no.

i am agreeing that it probably shouldnt be your responsibility, in theory isnt, but in practice it often is. of course, the actions of pedestrians could increase their culpability in an accident to the point of them being solely at fault, but on balance, i think there are natural limitations to how much bearing the 'act' of wearing dark clothes should ever have.

the situation we have where cars and other vehicles have to share the road with pushbikes can politely be described as a 'work-in-progress fraught with inherent problems'. the same is true of pushbikes sharing paths with pedestrians. its a nice idea. but we havent worked it out yet. yes, i would like to be positive and say that perhaps rants like yours are exactly the kind of thing we need, so that we can get more signs and more people on bikes and just more general awareness. but i dont think its being defeatist to suggest the numbers arent there now, and probably wont be for a long time. and that in the long run, you might save yourself a good deal of angst if you just assume that responsibility despite your misgivings.

Same. We cruising yo! Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Funnily enough we saw a biker get hit by a car today, silly bitch.

Don't see what good a bell would do. Most walkers and push-bikers already have their ears well and truly sealed listening to music etc...

...although the little old ladies dressed in black probably only have a scarf or some such covering their ears, still at that age, hearing might be a bit dodgy.

Way to take a completely ridiculous scenario and use it to further the 'argument' (used loosely).

If somebody is voluntarily lying across a bike path, regardless of clothing, or lights... it's their own fault if they get hurt, or cause somebody else to get hurt.

Yep, and it's also their fault if they dress like this when riding a bicycle:

I've seen a few of those idiots riding around Port Melbourne in the early hours...temporary Australians. The Specialized guys have set up shop across the road from us and now do daily rides in the area...now that's one well organised, brightly lit crew :)

Im surprised that no-one has stopped to think why people prefer to wear black clothing to remain as invisible as possible during the dark hours of morning/night? personal safety against being spotted as a easy target by a would be thief or gang..... is more often or not the reason why i try and stay hidden the dark, that sheer amount of times that some cunt or lowlife gang has tried to rob me with knifes in the dark.....

fuckers even tried to rob me across the road from the holden hill police station in adelaide! less then 100m away i got targeted by a gang of 5 with machetes/big ass knifes....

Im surprised that no-one has stopped to think why people prefer to wear black clothing to remain as invisible as possible during the dark hours of morning/night? personal safety against being spotted as a easy target by a would be thief or gang..... is more often or not the reason why i try and stay hidden the dark, that sheer amount of times that some cunt or lowlife gang has tried to rob me with knifes in the dark.....

fuckers even tried to rob me across the road from the holden hill police station in adelaide! less then 100m away i got targeted by a gang of 5 with machetes/big ass knifes....

Nope, doesn't wash in the areas I ride. Maybe in other places but certainly not along that route here in Melbourne.

Maybe, but I generally don't ride in the dark unless I'm just doing a quick mission to the supermarket or something, and I have good eyesight, hearing, and overall pretty amazing situational awareness.

I can understand the OP's argument for clueless people who have no awareness or consideration for other people, but this doesn't apply to myself.

I also ride at a good pace, so it's highly unlikely that in the event of somebody riding up behind me without me noticing (very rare occurance), our speeds wouldn't be differing enough to the point where I'd be unavoidable, or unnoticable until the very last second.

Maybe, but I generally don't ride in the dark unless I'm just doing a quick mission to the supermarket or something, and I have good eyesight, hearing, and overall pretty amazing situational awareness.

I can understand the OP's argument for clueless people who have no awareness or consideration for other people, but this doesn't apply to myself.

I also ride at a good pace, so it's highly unlikely that in the event of somebody riding up behind me without me noticing (very rare occurance), our speeds wouldn't be differing enough to the point where I'd be unavoidable, or unnoticable until the very last second.

It's not just your ability to see around you … it's others' ability to see where YOU are, so that they can avoid a collision.

If you believe your skull is thick enough to not require a helmet, I am not going to argue with you.

About 12 months ago, I rode my pushie to the pub, in the rain, in the dark and with my headphones on. Drank a few schooners, watched a game of footy and rode back home again.

I survived.

Am I missing something here?

It's not that hard to ride a bike.

About 12 months ago, I rode my pushie to the pub, in the rain, in the dark and with my headphones on. Drank a few schooners, watched a game of footy and rode back home again.

I survived.

Am I missing something here?

It's not that hard to ride a bike.

Hahaha it's all fine unless you're like me and get absolutely slaughtered at the pub and then ride home. Man that was a nasty ass stack I don't particularly want to have again.

People know my views on this topic well enough by now. I don't particularly care if other riders don't wear high viz or lights any more, it's their death sentence if they choose not to, I ride with some Ay-Ups any time its dark and they're about as bright as car head lights so I can see most things coming up in the dark.

As for ringing the bell for pedestrians, I tend not to bother any more as I've often found it makes pedestrians unpredictable. So yes, I'll fly past them, and yes, sometimes they get a little fright and a little angry as a result. But life wouldn't be much fun if there weren't little surprises every no and again to get the heart rate up and the adrenalin moving.

... But life wouldn't be much fun if there weren't little surprises every no and again to get the heart rate up and the adrenalin moving.

Like car doors making a surprise entrance ? :P Edited by eveln

... But life wouldn't be much fun if there weren't little surprises every no and again to get the heart rate up and the adrenalin moving.

Like car doors making a surprise entrance ? :P

More like car doors making a surprise departure…

(~90kg of rider, 12kg of radio equipment, 2kg of computer equipment, 30kg of bicycle… travelling at 30km/hr… yeah, it'll make a mess of me, but it'll make a mess of a door hinge too.)

Like car doors making a surprise entrance ? :P

More like car doors making a surprise departure…

(~90kg of rider, 12kg of radio equipment, 2kg of computer equipment, 30kg of bicycle… travelling at 30km/hr… yeah, it'll make a mess of me, but it'll make a mess of a door hinge too.)

I speak purely from my own experience here, but car doors are a fuck load sturdier than they look.

90kg of rider, 12kg of radio equipment, 2kg of computer equipment, 30kg of bicycle… travelling at 30km/hr… yeah, it'll make a mess of me, but it'll make a mess of a door hinge too.

The cost of satisfaction might well cover that.