seehund

Just buy a mother-flippin' light!

Tantryl may get a laugh ot of this. In fact, anyone who doesn't take themselves too seriously ought to:

http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/misc/menace.html

It's mildly relevant, without giving anything away.

And screw hipsters on single speed bikes refusing to take basic safety precautions.

We are a nation that worships speed and power. And for good reason. Without power we would still be part of England and everybody would be out of work.

ROFL … or should that be, FOMBLMAO (Fell Off My Bicycle Laughing My Arse Off). Of course, and because they ditched the bicycle, the US is now the shining light in economics and employment… Errr, hmm okay, let me get back to you on that one.

It's not just your ability to see around you … it's others' ability to see where YOU are, so that they can avoid a collision.

If you believe your skull is thick enough to not require a helmet, I am not going to argue with you.

Well, dude... I am now 28, been riding bikes since I can remember.

Been riding without a helmet before it was made a requirement, and also from about 17 years old until now without one.

Not once have I been in a situation where I have needed a helmet.

Not a single time.

Also haven't been in any situation where I've come anywhere near having an accident with another rider... day or night.

If 28 years of doing this without any major incident isn't enough, I don't know what is.

Actually, I even got off a fine for having no helmet (most Police around my area [brunswick, Melbourne] don't give a shit if you have one on or not, but some do) for telling them that I am at an age where it is my responsibility to take care of my own decisions regarding my personal safety... not the government's. They told me they understand where I'm coming from and weren't going to fine me.

Guess they don't like the idea of a nanny state either, despite their career choice. :)

In the end, if you suck at riding a bike (and trust me, most people do even if they think they don't), and can't see potential accidents before they happen, and don't have the situational awareness to avoid such things... then sure, a helmet is for you.

But I am not most people.

It has nothing to do with what you think people in general should do.

It totally comes down to an individual level, whether you believe it to be that way or not.

Guess if it hasn't happened in 28 years, it can't possibly ever happen, right?

I'm going to leave this discussion there, and let you mull over it for a bit.

Perhaps we just have different views regarding the importance of life.

Perhaps we just have different views regarding the importance of life.

Wait, you're saying that not wearing a helmet is more important than surviving an accident? O_o

I'm implying that my view on the matter is "It doesn't matter".

Life is life, live it how you want to... even if it endangers you to the point of potential death.

If you're not harming others, then do what you like -- that's my frame of mind.

I don't want to wear a helmet, so I won't. I'm not endangering others, so I don't see why everybody is up in arms everytime somebody doesn't use a helmet.

I also think that relying on a thin styrofoam helmet to save your life is being a little too optimistic.

But each to their own.

Life is life, live it how you want to... even if it endangers you to the point of potential death.

I don't want to wear a helmet, so I won't. I'm not endangering others, so I don't see why everybody is up in arms everytime somebody doesn't use a helmet.

I also think that relying on a thin styrofoam helmet to save your life is being a little too optimistic.

But each to their own.

Fair enough. But to counter your second claim, helmets do save lives, it's basic mechanics: stress = force/area. Helmets distribute the force of impact over a much larger area, significantly reducing the chance of fracturing your skull.

... But life wouldn't be much fun if there weren't little surprises every no and again to get the heart rate up and the adrenalin moving.

Like car doors making a surprise entrance ? :P

More like car doors making a surprise departure…

(~90kg of rider, 12kg of radio equipment, 2kg of computer equipment, 30kg of bicycle… travelling at 30km/hr… yeah, it'll make a mess of me, but it'll make a mess of a door hinge too.)

I speak purely from my own experience here, but car doors are a fuck load sturdier than they look.

Years back in Sydney I remember there was a guy who was killed by a car door on his first day of work as a courier. Bottom of Bridge St, I believe it was. Edited by komuso

But each to their own.

Firstly, you said earlier you were 28 years old...so unless you're an incredibly exceptional human being, you can't have been riding for 28 years.

How selfish of you not to care about the possibly life long trauma your death could / would inflict on others, whether they be family, friends, or the person/s involved in causing - or being victims themselves in the same accident -

that causes your death.

I guess all those people involved in your death should just HTFU and get on with their own lives ... hey ?

I don't know you, so what you do has absolutely no impact on my life, so go for it live your life the way you want.

I speak purely from my own experience here, but car doors are a fuck load sturdier than they look.

Then you're not doing it right Mr F :)

My one cycling experience with a car door had me head first through the door window, though I only made it half way through.

EDIT : I also think it's fine for people not to wear safety equipment like helmets, as long as we can deny them medical treatment when they rock up to hospital after an accident.

Edited by Mac Dude

EDIT : I also think it's fine for people not to wear safety equipment like helmets, as long as we can deny them medical treatment when they rock up to hospital after an accident.

No, if they manage to pick themselves up of the road way and get themselves to a doctor / hospital, then that's cool they can pay for treatment just like anyone else.

If they die on the road then they can be picked up and discarded same as we do for roadkill of the four-legged variety...that is if and when the roadkill gets cleaned off the side of the road.

Mind you the discarding would have to be thought out a bit better .

Would lycra eventually break down ?

Firstly, you said earlier you were 28 years old...so unless you're an incredibly exceptional human being, you can't have been riding for 28 years.

How selfish of you not to care about the possibly life long trauma your death could / would inflict on others, whether they be family, friends, or the person/s involved in causing - or being victims themselves in the same accident -

that causes your death.

I guess all those people involved in your death should just HTFU and get on with their own lives ... hey ?

I don't know you, so what you do has absolutely no impact on my life, so go for it live your life the way you want.

I was implying that I've been alive for 28 years and nothing I have done on a bicycle, regardless of how long I've been riding (25 years, to be exact) has put me in any harm, outside of a scraped knee or elbow, from back in my BMX days as a teenager.

As for the emotional side of things, I knew a female would join in with something along those lines...

And to be honest, I don't care.

I'd be dead.

So suck it up.

If the emotionally weak can't handle themselves, that's not my problem.

It's not my problem while I'm alive, and it won't be my problem when I'm dead.

End of story.

We all die, people as a whole have to accept it and stop trying to unnaturally prolong the inevitable.

If I die while riding, bad luck for me.

GG, etc.

I apologize for not having the overly-optimistic life outlook and fear of death that you have.

Wait, no I don't.

I was implying that I've been alive for 28 years and nothing I have done on a bicycle, regardless of how long I've been riding (25 years, to be exact) has put me in any harm, outside of a scraped knee or elbow, from back in my BMX days as a teenager.

As for the emotional side of things, I knew a female would join in with something along those lines...

And to be honest, I don't care.

I'd be dead.

So suck it up.

If the emotionally weak can't handle themselves, that's not my problem.

It's not my problem while I'm alive, and it won't be my problem when I'm dead.

End of story.

We all die, people as a whole have to accept it and stop trying to unnaturally prolong the inevitable.

If I die while riding, bad luck for me.

You've been dieing since the day you were born. Frankly it amazes me you haven't been wiped out yet :) If you die while riding it won't be bad luck for you, it may be bad luck if any other being is involved.

Let's hope when you go it's on a quiet stretch of road with no peoples around to see it or be caught up in it... maybe you could organise to ride off the side off a cliff or something....

...a win win situation :)

... But life wouldn't be much fun if there weren't little surprises every no and again to get the heart rate up and the adrenalin moving.

(~90kg of rider, 12kg of radio equipment, 2kg of computer equipment, 30kg of bicycle… travelling at 30km/hr… yeah, it'll make a mess of me, but it'll make a mess of a door hinge too.)

75 kgs, 15 kgs of bike travelling at approx 30km/h into a Festiva driver's side door in 1998.

7 stiches in my shoulder and a very messed up front rim, but his door wouldn't shut properly after that. Maybe next time he'll look in his rear view mirror before throwing open his door.

75 kgs, 15 kgs of bike travelling at approx 30km/h into a Festiva driver's side door in 1998.

7 stiches in my shoulder and a very messed up front rim, but his door wouldn't shut properly after that. Maybe next time he'll look in his rear view mirror before throwing open his door.

See the thing is, and this is core to my attitude to riding, any confrontation I have with a vehicle is going to end up with me losing.

It's easy to become complacent, I sure as hell was when I got car door-ed last month. Because I ride so much I have a bad habit if going on autopilot and letting thoughts wander, I dare say when I'm commuting is the most dangerous time for me because I tend to take on the commuter mind set of either just trying to get to work or wanting to just get the fuck home. Truth is, riding a bike or driving a car, when you have an accident you always ask yourself if you could have prevented it by paying more attention. As a cyclist I am only too aware that any accident I have is going to hurt, so I really do try to not let that happen.

Indeed... there is no way in hell that I'd choose to take on a car door. My first preference would be to avoid it. But, given the load I carry on my bike, I think I'd do more than scratch the paintwork if I were to collide with an open door.

Saying goodbye door is in all probability, an overestimate of what would happen. Yes, it'll make a mess of the bike, it'll make a mess of me, and all my gear. I don't think the door would come out unscathed.

I for one, hope I never test the hypothesis however. It's not worth the pain IMO.