Morgoth

Alcohol during Pregnancy

I want to ask this, just to see if I'm under-reacting at all.

At work the other day, a woman pregnant with her second child, looked about ~28 years old, was tossing up the idea of having an Irish coffee.

She said she's not had a drink in ages and was craving something nice (ala~ irish coffee)

She asked me for one and wasn't sure if she wanted the Whiskey or Baileys variety, I suggested Baileys for it's lower Alcohol content, so she could enjoy it and not feel like a baby murderer.

One shot of ~17% Baileys in a coffee seemed fine to me, so I made it for her and that was that, she seemed nervous about having it at all.

One girl working with me said it was pretty fucking dumb and if it were her, she'd not serve her. Keep in mind this girl has never had kids.

Am I like retarded? Or are we just programmed to think everything is out to kill our unborn babies?

To me, one shot of Baileys seemed like nothing, to others it was like someone just stabbed a pregnant lady in the belly 10 times.

What you lot think?

The likelihood a single shot of Bailey's once during a pregnancy of doing any damage is statistically negligible. Some prefer not to do it anyway though, and fair enough.

That's what I thought, abstaining from Grog when Pregnancy/breastfeeding or whatever is very respectable and sensible, but I don't think people should be condemned for tiny moderated amounts.

Edited by Morgoth

Soft cheese, now, phoar. You even look funny at a bit of brie while you're pregnant and that's it - your child will be born a hideous malformed abomination. That's what people say, anyway.

Depends on where abouts she is with the pregnancy as well. A girl my wife worked with was full term, and the doctor suggested that she go have a hot curry and glass of red wine to help bring on the birth.

The Waitress had a go at her, the lady balled into tears ... so yeah, I'd personally ask a Doctor, but 1 shot ... pfft won't do much if anything.

Nothing wrong with a woman having alcohol during pregnancy; As long as it's drank responsibily.

Tell the girl that was working with you, to feck off.

Edited by Dread Emperor

A mates wife got plastered and smashed constantly throughout thier 2 kids pregnancys to the extent that she was 8 months in and so drunk and stoned she was throwing up and then still having more...

She has had quite a few miscariges and is now up the duff again, (my mate lost a nad to cancer... we were under the impression he was sterile after chemo?... so not sure how she got preggers again...)

So anyway..., I simply refuse to see them these days, the 2 kids have a few issues aswel btw

Far to reckless for my liking, but 1 shot of Bailes I cant see being a problem, or even a small glass of wine with dinner occationaly

A mates wife got plastered and smashed constantly throughout thier 2 kids pregnancys to the extent that she was 8 months in and so drunk and stoned she was throwing up and then still having more...

She has had quite a few miscariges and is now up the duff again, (my mate lost a nad to cancer... we were under the impression he was sterile after chemo?... so not sure how she got preggers again...)

So anyway..., I simply refuse to see them these days, the 2 kids have a few issues aswel btw

Far to reckless for my liking, but 1 shot of Bailes I cant see being a problem, or even a small glass of wine with dinner occationaly

Yeah pretty hard to kill babies, easy to fuck them up one chick I knew was suprised she miscarried when all she did for the 6 months or so it was alive was smoke weed/tobacco and drink hoorendous amounts of coffeee and grog.

I can't be against abortion when it is legal to do this shit to your unborn child.

Back on topic though a shot is fine people need to pull their fucking heads in they'll be the hero when it's easy and back out as soon as some actual work needs to be done.

SCUM!

(INB4 LogicprObe)

Betzie's ex-friends kids are almost certain to have foetal alcohol syndrome, and possibly other medical issues. It's permanent. It's not good. The parents should be shot in the face by Dick Cheney.

SCUM!

(INB4 LogicprObe)

Lucky, you clicked hit reply a split second before him!

Can't see how one nip of Bailey's would hurt...but then it depends on the health of the woman and her pregnancy I should think.

Maybe she'd do well to consult her doc about her cravings for the odd nip.

Can't see how one nip of Bailey's would hurt...but then it depends on the health of the woman and her pregnancy I should think.

Indeed… it varies from person to person, but I wouldn't think that quantity would hurt anything. Especially if it's a week or more between such drinks.

On the other hand, if she swilled one of those only 2 hours before, I'd seriously worry about the welfare of the little one.

Indeed… it varies from person to person, but I wouldn't think that quantity would hurt anything. Especially if it's a week or more between such drinks.

On the other hand, if she swilled one of those only 2 hours before, I'd seriously worry about the welfare of the little one.

That thought occurred to me also. Still if Morgoth didn't note her as being tipsy, or on the verge of falling down drunk ...If I were in the pregnant woman's state and position I would hate for a waitress

to tell me what I could or couldn't order ( as Morgoth's co-worker implied she would do ).

If your coffee maintains a temp of ~80 degrees C, maybe.

Which it wont after the shot of baileys goes in.

Nothing wrong with a woman having alcohol during pregnancy; As long as it's drank responsibily.

Tell the girl that was working with you, to feck off.

Bullshit.

When Fenn was pregnant with our son she didn't know for many months. This time included new years, birthdays, Christmas and trips overseas. No issues with our son. I wouldn't recommend the level we experienced, but one standard drink should not cause any troubles. I'd be confident in saying that if her child had any issues it would be highly unlikely due to this one drink.

I agree, everybody wants, prefers the best for their child. So as well as women caring for the foetus by not drinking alcohol during the pregnancy, it would be remiss for men to be under the influence up to, and

during the act of insemination. Naturally we would want healthy sperms to fertilise the egg.

...Healthy sperms make healthy babies :)

Edited by eveln