Sign in to follow this  
cerby

dual monitor help

hi everyone.

I recently upgraded my computer and now i can't get dual monitors to work!!

Original specs an a8-sx asus motherboard, amd x2 4200+, Radeon x800 xt, 2GB ram and two $17 crusty 17 inch crts!!

basically i wanted to upgrade my 3d card to shader 3 and ended up changing to,

A8R32-mvp motherboard, radeon 1900xtx, 4 gb ram, same Cpu and same monitors.

Now after installing everything and getting it all working nicely i plugged in my second monitor and attempted to get it working.

Up till now it has always been a case of running through the catalyst wizard thing, then going f$%k that was a waste of time and setting it up in the normal XP control panel, never had a problem!

Well this time the Xp Control panel won't see the second monitor, and the catalyst drivers had decided it is an HD TV ( which it obviously isn't).

I can't convince the catalyst wizard to let me had two monitors, if i change one display to the monitor then the other one changes to hd tv.

So can some one please let me know where i am going wrong? I am going insane cos i can't watch series and do stuff im meant to be doing on only one crappy 17inch crt!!!

Cheers

Cerby

forgot to mention, the second monitor starts when i turn on the pc and shows the same boot sequence as the primary monitor buts shuts down when windows starts!

One thing to note here is that you have to get XP to recognise your second display first otherwise catalyst wont do anything for you. So, the first step would be to do that. You can actually get dual monitors working through display properties alone with appropriate drivers installed of course, without the use of catalyst control centre.

However, since youve neglected include any information regarding your displays apart from one of them being a 17 inch monitor its kinda hard to know where your problem lies. Assuming that your monitors are plug and play, XP should recognise them without any problems at all. So, go to the device manager and see if it is recognised. Get back to us with relevent informaiton, including any thing you can see from Device Manager, and lets see where we go from there. btw, what driver version are you using??

it says 2x17 inch crts up there. they are analog if that makes any difference. XP does recognise them since they were working before the upgrade.

3d card drivers are

Driver Packaging Version 8.53-080820a-068898C-ATI

Catalyst® Version 08.9

2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6860

Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0612

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.7976

Catalyst® Control Center Version 2008.0820.2135.36847

AV Stream (T200) Driver Version 6.14.10.1089

Device Manager only shows one plug and play monitor. Both monitors are exactly the same model and make!

after a bit of fiddling i managed to get the device manager to show two monitors but still no joy.

I have done a thorough search and have found that there is a known issue with catalyst 8.9 with regards to dual link panels. At the moment, CCC is at version 8.10.

So try upgrading to 8.10. However, if your previous working version wasnt 8.9, try something lower. You may also need to update your system's BIOS and/or toggle your PNP aware OS from yes to no. Try the second one first to see if it works.

I hate to say this, but in all my years of using dual monitors, Ive never come across a problem like this before. The fact that your displays work before windows loads means that your displays are working and pretty much points to a software related problem. I am sorry that I cant provide you with anymore information apart from the above.

well i upgraded to the latest ati drivers and changed the pcipnp to yes in the bios ( if that was the right setting), uninstalled both monitors in the device controller, then rebooted and let windows find the drivers again. Still only get both monitors during boot then the secondary monitor switches off. The catalyst control center says that i only have one monitor and a hdtv, the xp display controller says that i have two monitors and that the primary is extended onto the secondary and that everything is working perfectly!

This is Totally gay as i always watch stuff on the secondary monitor while i do work on the primary!

help the only other thing i can think to do is try different monitors or reinstall windows which really do not want to have to again!! (3 times last month)

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

okay so i have reinstalled windows and got dual monitors going until i installed ati drivers!!

So i uninstallked drivers and hey presto monitor s both work again!

reinstalled 8.9 drivers without intergrated wdm drivers and catalyst stops working again.

Uninstalled drivers, starts working again. tried using old 8.3 drivers same problem!

So i uninstalled drivers again and downloaded 8.11, still no work!!

Got a different second monitor same again!!!

The only thing i haven't done is tried a digital monitor, or swapped the little vga adaptor thingies!!!

Does anyone have any other ideas???

I'm pretty sure i did since when i went to install the drivers before it stopped the install cos .net framework wasn't installed!! So i installed it first to avoid that! I actually have no idea what the .net framework actually does, how does it effect the ati drivers??