Greaver

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Not much information yet but there is meant to be a big announcement tomorrow

http://www.facebook.com/ESEA.net?sk=wall

http://eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d...nts&id=9967

What can I say? It's been a long time coming! Just today news from the VALVe office has emerged as our own Craig "Torbull" Levine has taken the trip down to supposedly "help develop" the new version of Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike:Global Offensive (CS:GO). Is this VALVe reaching out to the community, recognizing the competitive community?

Rumors:

Planned to be released Q1 2012

Focuses on 5v5 competition

Press release within 24 hours from VALVe

Plays on an updated source engine

Individual & Team rankings

New Guns added

New Grenades

Dust & Aztec major revamp

Spamming still viable

Ammo is free

Reddit Interview

Q: release date?

A: Q1 2012

Q: The big question: Will it have updated graphics but with 1.6 style gameplay? Which is, arguably, the more competitive of the two. Are they going for an esports title contender or are they going for a CoD-esque type game?

A: It is a mix really, it has wallspamming which is more like 1.6, but it is on the source engine, so the feel of it is more(but not exactly) like source. The flashes are also more like 1.6, where turning your back to them will make you a lot less flashed than looking straight at them, but they also have the sound from source. The smokes are like they are in the current source. There is also more tagging than in source, but the tagging also depends on the damage youre being dealt, so you wont be pinned to the ground by being hit by a glock for example ;>

They have a casual and a competitive more - the competitive mode is very esports-minded and will have a match-making and ranking system both for teams and individual players.

Q: any kind of estimate on when it'll actually come out? Does valve seem to be focused on fixing a lot of complaints from old source/1.6? Is this just essentially a huge update that'll cost $50?

A: Planned release is Q1 2012. The people here are all top players from source or people from the big communities, so they are very focused on fixing things that people have problems with in earlier versions of the game. It will have matchmaking and rankings, so it's not just another version of the same thing, it is mainly made for 5on5 play, so it's more about getting the "real" competitive experience than previous versions has been.

Q: Does the game resemble CounterStrike 1.6 or Source more?

A: Much more like Source, it's made on a newer version of the source-engine and the maps are (some of them heavily)modified versions of the source-maps.

Q: What was Valve mind set of the game? What ideas were they suggesting? Did you actually get to test some gameplay? Did they mention anything about the competitive side e.g 1mill tournament for this as they did for Dota 2?

A: Their mindset on it isn't that it needs to have the 1.6 players and/or source players all move to it necessarily, even though clearly theyre hoping to make it good enough that people want to move. They are very serious about making it a good competitive game though (there is a competitive and casual mode), which is proven by them flying in 20 top players from europe to help them test it.

We played the game yeah, they said we should suspect crashes and stuff, but it wasn't too bad. We we're 10 people playing in the room I was in and I think we had 3 crashes total in like 4-5 hours of play, so it's not too bad.

I'm pretty sure he said at lunch, that there wasn't going to be a dota2 style 1 million dollar tournament, but I only overheard that conversation, so I'm not 100% sure about what exactly he said.

In short:

- Release Q1 2012

- Matchmaking / individual and team ladder system

- Emphasis on competitive play, 5v5

- Casual and competitive modes

- Classic maps return, modified

Haven't been into CS for ages but this is some exciting news, will be keen to check it out.

I only got into CS when HL2 came out and CS Source with it. I really spent a big chunk of time playing that game. I'd really like for this to re-new my interest in online fps again. Vehicles blow chunks in fps games (for me) and cod just isn't that much fun. Here's hoping.

Will be interesting to see, tbh I wish that Valve had have waited for this version to add achievements and all that sorta shit rather than ruining CSS.

Will be interesting to see, tbh I wish that Valve had have waited for this version to add achievements and all that sorta shit rather than ruining CSS.

Definately agree here. Will be looking forward to seeing more information about it. CS is probably one of my favourite games of all time.

Was reading this before, piqued my interest! Explains all the pro CSers being flown to Valve HQ these last few weeks.

Also, F2P (and hats) or bust!

Stupid phone malarky

Edited by elfinke

Wow what a surreal feeling seeing the next installment of counterstrike. Lets see how the ex-king of FPS will go against COD and BF.

Wow what a surreal feeling seeing the next installment of counterstrike. Lets see how the ex-king of FPS will go against COD and BF.

isn't doom the king of FPS?

I wouldn't hold my breath, it will just bs CS:S with HDR...

Edited by nesquick

One of the kings?

Still have ages to go before we can be definite about what this sequel will be.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

CS:S Already has HDR genius :P

are they trying to compete with the ultra-realistic and violent games like MW or BF?

are they trying to compete with the ultra-realistic and violent games like MW or BF?

Ultra-realistic...?

Thats a joke right?

I never felt HDR in CSS was done that well and I always ended up disabling it, so maybe better HDR?

I never felt HDR in CSS was done that well and I always ended up disabling it, so maybe better HDR?

Makes me wodner if Valve should just make the next Source Engine.

+1

it is long over due....

+1

it is long over due....

I really would love that to happen. If the last engine they made lasted so long and so well. A new engine could be absolutely marvelous.

I'd love a new engine, but I doubt it'll happen

However, think of it this way. All games in the Half Life 1 series, and those based of that, were on the one engine (dunno what's the engine is called). All games in the Half Life 2 series, and those based of that, were on the Source engine

I don't think we'll see a new engine any time soon from Valve, unless Half Life 3 is here soon. I'd even say if there is gonna be a Half Life 2: Episode 3 (which there bloody well better be!), it'll most likely be on the Source engine (possibly another "updated" one) if history is to go by...

I'd love a new engine, but I doubt it'll happen

However, think of it this way. All games in the Half Life 1 series, and those based of that, were on the one engine (dunno what's the engine is called). All games in the Half Life 2 series, and those based of that, were on the Source engine

I don't think we'll see a new engine any time soon from Valve, unless Half Life 3 is here soon. I'd even say if there is gonna be a Half Life 2: Episode 3 (which there bloody well better be!), it'll most likely be on the Source engine (possibly another "updated" one) if history is to go by...

Once (or if) Half Life 3 gets announcement. Boy o boy...It'll feel like a new era.

There are rumours circulating that this new CS:GO is going to have a large console focus, whatever that means.

I'll repeat, it is all just rumour at this point.

Portal 2 showed us what was possible still using Source, I think there's still some life left in it.

There is life in Source, but not in Counterfail

Tis a game that degenerated into a cheatfilled, 2 map game, then fell into gungame and thereafter into the past.

Valve needs to just let the game die. I agree with the flogging a dead horse bit, but it's more like the horse was flogged so badly it came back as a zombie to further ruin the brains of FPS players

Yes, I used to play, 1.0 to 1.6

Portal 2 looked amazing, though that was generally indoors. This new version should look a lot better than the one it is replacing