Greaver

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

There is life in Source, but not in Counterfail

Tis a game that degenerated into a cheatfilled, 2 map game, then fell into gungame and thereafter into the past.

Valve needs to just let the game die. I agree with the flogging a dead horse bit, but it's more like the horse was flogged so badly it came back as a zombie to further ruin the brains of FPS players

Yes, I used to play, 1.0 to 1.6

I don't think it's a dead horse, the modding community really helped keep it alive. If you buy css today, you will get more than 1 game. Also, I've barely seen any cheating in it. It provides a nice alternative to the modern shooters aswell.

Should also note compared to other franchises, there aren't that many Counter Strike games.

Edited by SlurmsMackenzie

Tis a game that degenerated into a cheatfilled, 2 map game, then fell into gungame and thereafter into the past.

Valve needs to just let the game die. I agree with the flogging a dead horse bit, but it's more like the horse was flogged so badly it came back as a zombie to further ruin the brains of FPS players

I don't think it's a dead horse, the modding community really helped keep it alive. If you buy css today, you will get more than 1 game. Also, I've barely seen any cheating in it. It provides a nice alternative to the modern shooters aswell.

Should also note compared to other franchises, there aren't that many Counter Strike games.

It was still essentially the exact same game being released over and again with pretty graphics. Maybe they added a couple guns, maybe 1 or 2 maps. I still feel that it IS a dead horse that needs to be left to it's own era.

Its still one of the most highly played competitive games in the world, in a world where there are more and more ladders for console games, Valve would be mad to not release something that could have a massive following on their part, especially because one would think it would require very little effort on their part.

Its still one of the most highly played competitive games in the world, in a world where there are more and more ladders for console games, Valve would be mad to not release something that could have a massive following on their part, especially because one would think it would require very little effort on their part.

and they are currently being mad about HL2E3/HL3. A much more wanted and anticipated game. IMHO CS both made AND ruined an entire generation of FPS players.

If Valve release another game with Half Life references in it, I'm gonna spit chips

And Steam want me to download 4.3GB for CS:S :-(

Portal 2 showed us what was possible still using Source, I think there's still some life left in it.

really? I thought portal 2 looked like shit, the whole game I was just thinking how much better it would look on something like the Unreal 3 engine and how bad source is starting to look, I mean its ok to play something a bit old like HL2 in its original glory but its 2011 and the source engine of the era of ati 9x00 cards doesn't cut it compared to some newer games.

Portal 2 showed us what was possible still using Source, I think there's still some life left in it.

really? I thought portal 2 looked like shit, the whole game I was just thinking how much better it would look on something like the Unreal 3 engine and how bad source is starting to look, I mean its ok to play something a bit old like HL2 in its original glory but its 2011 and the source engine of the era of ati 9x00 cards doesn't cut it compared to some newer games.

Oh the ati 9x00 cards were capable of SM3.0 were they?

what does SM3.0 have to do with what I was saying? to answer your question though (even though I assume you already know the answer and you were just trying to make look like an idiot) the first cards with true SM3.0 were the geforce 6 series then the ati X1x00 series.

eh doesn't matter source was and still is one of the best game engines but it doesn't change the fact it looks its age.

Edited by nesquick

what does SM3.0 have to do with what I was saying? to answer your question though (even though I assume you already know the answer and you were just trying to make look like an idiot) the first cards with true SM3.0 were the geforce 6 series then the ati X1x00 series.

eh doesn't matter source was and still is one of the best game engines but it doesn't change the fact it looks its age.

What I am getting at is the engine has been updated several times, so calling it the source engine of the era of ati 9x00 is stupid.

I agree that it doesn't look as good as newer engines, however I still feel that it is far from shit.

Yeah but there's always that lovely prospect of what if. I mean DICE makes a new engine for their BF3 to reinvigorate. Why can't Valve do it in order to strenghen their next big release?

After all the FPS market is a tough one.

This is what I hate about the gaming market. All about the looks

As long as I'm having fun, I don't care if it isn't cutting edge graphics, and Source is not "ugly" by any means yet

I'm playing through Half Life 2 as we speak. I'm writing a report on it. I am enjoying it as much as I ever have

Edited by nobody813

This is what I hate about the gaming market. All about the looks

As long as I'm having fun, I don't care if it isn't cutting edge graphics, and Source is not "ugly" by any means yet

I'm playing through Half Life 2 as we speak. I'm writing a report on it. I am enjoying it as much as I ever have

I'm not saying i won't enjoy a game unless it has SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME GRAPHICS. I'm just saying it compliments the experience.

I mean when BF3 kept peeling away its goodness, many of us mentioned how good it looks.

I personally also put graphics as one of the lowest things i'll consider when playing a game.

Making a new engine for a game is also a good market move anyways.

Generalisations can go so wrong.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Not much information yet but there is meant to be a big announcement tomorrow

http://www.facebook.com/ESEA.net?sk=wall

http://eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d...nts&id=9967

What can I say? It's been a long time coming! Just today news from the VALVe office has emerged as our own Craig "Torbull" Levine has taken the trip down to supposedly "help develop" the new version of Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike:Global Offensive (CS:GO). Is this VALVe reaching out to the community, recognizing the competitive community?

Rumors:

Planned to be released Q1 2012

Focuses on 5v5 competition

Press release within 24 hours from VALVe

Plays on an updated source engine

Individual & Team rankings

New Guns added

New Grenades

Dust & Aztec major revamp

Spamming still viable

Ammo is free

Reddit Interview

Q: release date?

A: Q1 2012

Q: The big question: Will it have updated graphics but with 1.6 style gameplay? Which is, arguably, the more competitive of the two. Are they going for an esports title contender or are they going for a CoD-esque type game?

A: It is a mix really, it has wallspamming which is more like 1.6, but it is on the source engine, so the feel of it is more(but not exactly) like source. The flashes are also more like 1.6, where turning your back to them will make you a lot less flashed than looking straight at them, but they also have the sound from source. The smokes are like they are in the current source. There is also more tagging than in source, but the tagging also depends on the damage youre being dealt, so you wont be pinned to the ground by being hit by a glock for example ;>

They have a casual and a competitive more - the competitive mode is very esports-minded and will have a match-making and ranking system both for teams and individual players.

Q: any kind of estimate on when it'll actually come out? Does valve seem to be focused on fixing a lot of complaints from old source/1.6? Is this just essentially a huge update that'll cost $50?

A: Planned release is Q1 2012. The people here are all top players from source or people from the big communities, so they are very focused on fixing things that people have problems with in earlier versions of the game. It will have matchmaking and rankings, so it's not just another version of the same thing, it is mainly made for 5on5 play, so it's more about getting the "real" competitive experience than previous versions has been.

Q: Does the game resemble CounterStrike 1.6 or Source more?

A: Much more like Source, it's made on a newer version of the source-engine and the maps are (some of them heavily)modified versions of the source-maps.

Q: What was Valve mind set of the game? What ideas were they suggesting? Did you actually get to test some gameplay? Did they mention anything about the competitive side e.g 1mill tournament for this as they did for Dota 2?

A: Their mindset on it isn't that it needs to have the 1.6 players and/or source players all move to it necessarily, even though clearly theyre hoping to make it good enough that people want to move. They are very serious about making it a good competitive game though (there is a competitive and casual mode), which is proven by them flying in 20 top players from europe to help them test it.

We played the game yeah, they said we should suspect crashes and stuff, but it wasn't too bad. We we're 10 people playing in the room I was in and I think we had 3 crashes total in like 4-5 hours of play, so it's not too bad.

I'm pretty sure he said at lunch, that there wasn't going to be a dota2 style 1 million dollar tournament, but I only overheard that conversation, so I'm not 100% sure about what exactly he said.

In short:

- Release Q1 2012

- Matchmaking / individual and team ladder system

- Emphasis on competitive play, 5v5

- Casual and competitive modes

- Classic maps return, modified

Haven't been into CS for ages but this is some exciting news, will be keen to check it out.

I read the news yesterday, here: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5102517

Way back 2004, CS could be the most sensational first-shoot game. But 2011 is filled with high-end shooter games that no CS players before would never appreciate.

Global Offensive is simply a good upgrade to its predecessors. However, when you compare it with BF3 or CoD, there is no way CS: GO can come closer.

Not much information yet but there is meant to be a big announcement tomorrow

http://www.facebook.com/ESEA.net?sk=wall

http://eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d...nts&id=9967

What can I say? It's been a long time coming! Just today news from the VALVe office has emerged as our own Craig "Torbull" Levine has taken the trip down to supposedly "help develop" the new version of Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike:Global Offensive (CS:GO). Is this VALVe reaching out to the community, recognizing the competitive community?

Rumors:

Planned to be released Q1 2012

Focuses on 5v5 competition

Press release within 24 hours from VALVe

Plays on an updated source engine

Individual & Team rankings

New Guns added

New Grenades

Dust & Aztec major revamp

Spamming still viable

Ammo is free

Reddit Interview

Q: release date?

A: Q1 2012

Q: The big question: Will it have updated graphics but with 1.6 style gameplay? Which is, arguably, the more competitive of the two. Are they going for an esports title contender or are they going for a CoD-esque type game?

A: It is a mix really, it has wallspamming which is more like 1.6, but it is on the source engine, so the feel of it is more(but not exactly) like source. The flashes are also more like 1.6, where turning your back to them will make you a lot less flashed than looking straight at them, but they also have the sound from source. The smokes are like they are in the current source. There is also more tagging than in source, but the tagging also depends on the damage youre being dealt, so you wont be pinned to the ground by being hit by a glock for example ;>

They have a casual and a competitive more - the competitive mode is very esports-minded and will have a match-making and ranking system both for teams and individual players.

Q: any kind of estimate on when it'll actually come out? Does valve seem to be focused on fixing a lot of complaints from old source/1.6? Is this just essentially a huge update that'll cost $50?

A: Planned release is Q1 2012. The people here are all top players from source or people from the big communities, so they are very focused on fixing things that people have problems with in earlier versions of the game. It will have matchmaking and rankings, so it's not just another version of the same thing, it is mainly made for 5on5 play, so it's more about getting the "real" competitive experience than previous versions has been.

Q: Does the game resemble CounterStrike 1.6 or Source more?

A: Much more like Source, it's made on a newer version of the source-engine and the maps are (some of them heavily)modified versions of the source-maps.

Q: What was Valve mind set of the game? What ideas were they suggesting? Did you actually get to test some gameplay? Did they mention anything about the competitive side e.g 1mill tournament for this as they did for Dota 2?

A: Their mindset on it isn't that it needs to have the 1.6 players and/or source players all move to it necessarily, even though clearly theyre hoping to make it good enough that people want to move. They are very serious about making it a good competitive game though (there is a competitive and casual mode), which is proven by them flying in 20 top players from europe to help them test it.

We played the game yeah, they said we should suspect crashes and stuff, but it wasn't too bad. We we're 10 people playing in the room I was in and I think we had 3 crashes total in like 4-5 hours of play, so it's not too bad.

I'm pretty sure he said at lunch, that there wasn't going to be a dota2 style 1 million dollar tournament, but I only overheard that conversation, so I'm not 100% sure about what exactly he said.

In short:

- Release Q1 2012

- Matchmaking / individual and team ladder system

- Emphasis on competitive play, 5v5

- Casual and competitive modes

- Classic maps return, modified

Haven't been into CS for ages but this is some exciting news, will be keen to check it out.

I read the news yesterday, here: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5102517

Way back 2004, CS could be the most sensational first-shoot game. But 2011 is filled with high-end shooter games that no CS players before would never appreciate.

Global Offensive is simply a good upgrade to its predecessors. However, when you compare it with BF3 or CoD, there is no way CS: GO can come closer.

are you at least playing it with cinematic mod?

I heard that thing is a bitch to run.

my system runs it fine, its only a bitch to run on gpu's from 2 or more generations back.

are you at least playing it with cinematic mod?

I heard that thing is a bitch to run.

my system runs it fine, its only a bitch to run on gpu's from 2 or more generations back.

I have done it before

But for this report, I must write the game as it currently is. However I can talk about mods in it, so the CM mod will be an example

http://kotaku.com/5834542/an-hour-with-counter+strike-go

Posted Image

On PC and Mac, Counter-Strike: GO players can expect the standard options you get with a Steam game and any of the control options you would have with a computer. On the Xbox 360, players will use a game pad. On the PS3, players can use the game controller, the PlayStation Move motion controller or even a mouse and keyboard. PS3, Mac and PC players will be match-made against each other, clumped by skill, regardless of input device or platform. (Valve didn't demonstrate the PS3-PC.Mac cross-play to me today, but they confirmed that that enticing bit of networking is something they are striving to include in the game.)

Fucking Valve, industry leaders in so many ways. More into to be unveiled at PAX this week.