matt0

Can't transfer files over 1tb

Hi guys, sorry if I put this in the wrong section. My father-in-law can't seem to transfer file over 1tb to his 2tb external HDD (usb 2, NTFS). He is running windows 7 (I think 32bit).

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks

What happens when when he trys to transfer the data? Error message? Write protection? Path name to long?

WTF generates a monolithic 1TB+ file? O.O

a huge zip file? idk, that was my first thought too xD

a huge zip file? idk, that was my first thought too xD

...I could show you things...

I suppose so. I'm going to guess something like a compressed backup file. Processing on something that enormous must take hours. :P

Its a very compressed backup of the internet...

Would be curious why it can not copy to it though. As mentioned an error message would be good. I assume it just says error can not copy? Do smaller files copy?

z

I hope you aren't using winzip though..... ;)

Could be FAT32?

That'd be the first thing I'd check, make sure it *is* NTFS.

z

I hope you aren't using winzip though..... ;)

Could be FAT32?

That'd be the first thing I'd check, make sure it *is* NTFS.

Same. You'd know relatively early on, too. 4GB is less than 1% of 1TB, so you'd see that little bar's movement stop early on before you got some sort of error.

Well, evidently the OP is an ask-and-run type, not sticking around to read the answer or give further detail…

Back when I used to participate on IRC, it was one of my pet hates, was the person who wanted an immediate response 24/7.

Well, evidently the OP is an ask-and-run type, not sticking around to read the answer or give further detail…

Back when I used to participate on IRC, it was one of my pet hates, was the person who wanted an immediate response 24/7.

Atomic is relatively quicker than most other computer forums, I've found.

Atomic is relatively quicker than most other computer forums, I've found.

Depends on your timezone I suppose … at 4:00AM (UTC+10) this site crawls along. I know, I used to get up at that hour regularly.

Edited by Redhatter

so you'd see that little bar's movement stop early on before you got some sort of error.

Shouldn't see any little bar at all. As soon as you try and copy or move a file greater than 4Gb you should get an error message about not enough disk space or file is too large for destination file system.

Thanks for your replies. I've tried to get some more info from him over the weekend. Turns out it is a folder, not a single file, and he has been able to split it into smaller parts and transfer. Still dont know if he got an error message or not!

I'm still curious, figured if its a common issue others would have run into when backing-up etc.

Could be FAT32?

No I checked that myself, NTFS.

How dare you! I demand you retract this slanderous comment!

I actually didnt expect such a fast response, and had to wait to hear back from the old man.

Turns out it is a folder, not a single file, and he has been able to split it into smaller parts and transfer. Still dont know if he got an error message or not!

I'm still curious, figured if its a common issue others would have run into when backing-up etc.

Probably file in use or permission errors on a hidden file.

Use something like robocopy to backup the files. It can handle files in use and skip them if it can't copy it.

How dare you! I demand you retract this slanderous comment!

I actually didnt expect such a fast response, and had to wait to hear back from the old man.

Slanderous in what way? There was no acknowledgement of the queries until now, and one key one was how this 1TB of data was being copied over, and what the effect was. I can understand there being a delay in finding this information out, however a lack of any kind of feedback, even a "I'll check up on this" can go a long way.

In any case, the comment is posted now, and you yourself have quoted it. It is impossible for me to retract as I do not have permissions to edit your post.

one of my pet hates, was the person who wanted an immediate response 24/7.

And yet you yourself are guilty of the same thing.

He posted the question on August 13th. The very next day, August 14th, you are whinging that he had run away.

Anyway....I'd say aliali is on the money. Something is using one of the many files in this folder, or there's a permission issue. Hard to say without a specific error message though.

Is he running proper backup software, or just copy/paste?

Anyway....I'd say aliali is on the money. Something is using one of the many files in this folder, or there's a permission issue. Hard to say without a specific error message though.

Is he running proper backup software, or just copy/paste?

Yeah he would just copy and paste. Software sounds like a good move.

As I think about it, there is a good chance he would have had other programs running (he tends to leave everything open).

Slanderous in what way? There was no acknowledgement of the queries until now, and one key one was how this 1TB of data was being copied over, and what the effect was. I can understand there being a delay in finding this information out, however a lack of any kind of feedback, even a "I'll check up on this" can go a long way.

In any case, the comment is posted now, and you yourself have quoted it. It is impossible for me to retract as I do not have permissions to edit your post.

I was just having a laugh, not actually accusing you of slander or expecting you to remove your post.

Use something like robocopy to backup the files. It can handle files in use and skip them if it can't copy it.

either that or Teracopy. Gives you a log of what went on at the end if necessary too.

+1 Teracopy, Love that little proggy.

Perhaps the files in the folder had names that were too long, I've had weird copying issues with that sometimes. Though admittedly most of them were from the pre-XP era.