Sign in to follow this  
leonhart83

Plantronics Gamecom 777 issues.

Hey guys,

I just purchased a Plantronics Gamecom 777 headset and I am getting some weird issues with playback. There seems to be popping and crackling whilst playing sound.

First here is my computer setup.

Windows 7 64bit.

EVGA P55 FTW

i5 760

Corsair 8gb ram.

4x 2tb Seagate Barracudas

1x 1tb Samsung spinpoint F3

Corsair 450w

4890 ati

Now for the people who aren't familiar with the headset it is a 7.1 surround (virtual) using a USB soundcard that you connect the 2 3.5mm (one for sound one for mic) to it.

Things I have tried.

1. Bypassing the USB Sound card and plugged straight into the computer (this works fine no popping but is pointless having this headset without it)

2. Tried another PC (there is no popping or crackling even when using the sound card).

3. Tried updating the Ati graphics drivers/realtek HD drivers. In case the inbuilt sound (even those these are disabled) were issue. This did not fix the issue.

4. Tried another Set of Gamecom 777's from a friend, his had the same issue on my computer, but not on the other test PC, so this rule out an issue with the actual headset.

5. Tried directxwebsetup to see whether I had the latest directx, also there were no problems detected in the dxdiag.

6. Tried multiple different USB ports front/back all with the same issue.

7. Tried disabling all other sound devices, all enhancements.

Things I have noted.

1. There is feedback in the speakers even if no music is playing, as in when I roll over my systray icons. Strangely this is only apparent when I have applications open that might be accessing the sound driver i.e winamp, youtube etc. If I have nothing opened the feedback is not present.

Anything else to try would be greatly appreciated. As I am lost for ideas atm.

Edited by leonhart83

Strange...sounds like there's noise coming from your USB ports that is making it sound funny. You tried your friend's headset; did you try it with your USB adapter? Did you try your headset with their adapter?

It's ~possible~ that your 5V rail isn't particularly good, which may cause hiccups elsewhere. That seems a decent load for that power supply, especially if you have anything overclocked. I'd pin it down to PSU issues if your USB adapter is not at fault.

You may be able to get around this by getting an external powered USB hub and using the headset/adapter with that.

*edit*

Also set the windows audio levels to 80%, as sometimes it can simply be pushing the tiny little adapter too hard when on 100%, causing noise.

Strange...sounds like there's noise coming from your USB ports that is making it sound funny. You tried your friend's headset; did you try it with your USB adapter? Did you try your headset with their adapter?

It's ~possible~ that your 5V rail isn't particularly good, which may cause hiccups elsewhere. That seems a decent load for that power supply, especially if you have anything overclocked. I'd pin it down to PSU issues if your USB adapter is not at fault.

You may be able to get around this by getting an external powered USB hub and using the headset/adapter with that.

*edit*

Also set the windows audio levels to 80%, as sometimes it can simply be pushing the tiny little adapter too hard when on 100%, causing noise.

I have tried all possibilities of combinations of headphone and USB dongle.

I forgot to mention my USB configuration.

1x 2tb external powered

2x 1tb external powered

1x Belkin KVM (with my wireless mouse and keyboard through that)

I have also tried unplugging all but my mouse and headset dongle and have had no luck, it is still doing it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...c-469a6d48fdda/

I have done a little research into DPC latency it using dpclat and it seems mine latency sits around 150-300us. Although the application says it is within the normal environment for streaming audio (I am assuming it is talking about jitter, OWD). My friend did his PC and said his was sitting in around 70us.

My Speedfan readings for my power supply are below.

VCC3V: 3.20V

Vcore: 0.58V

VDDA: 2.03V

+12V: 9.15V

Vdimm: 1.68V

VLDT: 0.94

VCC1.5V: 1.3

VSB3V: 3.3V

Vbat: 3.10V

I have also come across this.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/434034...r-distort-issue

This is a really confusing issue for me.

I also have just tried disabling Speedstep in the bios to stop the fluctuation of the CPU speed as per one of the above links and it didn't seem to fix the issue.

That +12V, if it is reading correctly, is a bit of a worry.

I would try another PSU if you can get one.

Otherwise see if you can try a live Linux CD of some kind, to see if your windows installation is at fault.

You could also try a PCI USB card to see if the usb ports on your computer are at fault.

Otherwise see if you can try a live Linux CD of some kind, to see if your windows installation is at fault.

You could also try a PCI USB card to see if the usb ports on your computer are at fault.

I don't know how reliable speedfan is for voltage readings. I will try my USB 2.0 card tonight and get back. I don't have a powered USB hub to try will try and track one of them down.

It seems you've exhausted all the possible solutions. The strange thing is that USB ports usually don't give out such noice. I got plantronics and jabra, both use USB port, and I'm not getting the same issues as yours.

Yeah, I've got nothing to add here except my PT777's are working flawlessly. There is a bit of information over here that might be owrth wading through:

http://soundingboard.plantronics.com/

as well as info for RMAing it if it comes to that.

I also noticed the 777's are in the atomic mag in one of the builds today while grabbing milk at lunch. Nice!

I don't know how reliable speedfan is for voltage readings. I will try my USB 2.0 card tonight and get back. I don't have a powered USB hub to try will try and track one of them down.

I wouldn't pay the speedfan voltages much heed; if your 12v rail was at 9v your computer simply wouldn't be working at all. I'd whack a multimeter into a molex connector if you're really that concerned about voltages.

Since you've tried everything I would reasonably think would cause this issue (and a few more things to boot), I'd try borrowing a powered hub from someone or trying another power supply. If that doesn't fix it I have no idea what's wrong.