Sign in to follow this  
stuub27

Samsung C27A550U vs Acer B273H

Hi, I've been stewing over this for a while...and kinda expect to keep doing so until I can afford to buy one or the other...

The two contenders are:

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peri...type=prd_detail

and

http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/model/ET.HB3HA.005

The Samsung is about $523 (from HT) and the Acer is about $330 (from ARC)

Now, given price, the extra input avenues etc, the Acer is a no-brainer for me (sure, I'd love the Dell U2711, but I don't need the resolution, the IPS or the cost that comes with)...but has anyone used one- the Acer??? Or at least can anyone suggest a store (in Sydney region) that I can have a gander at one in action???

Many thanks

Acer has a three year warranty so that's good, I have not seen that particular model in real life, but the 24" version looked fine to me. But I cannot resist making an alternate suggestion for an Asus, its all I use here and what I recommend for my clients, a little more expensive but worth it for picture quality IMHO.

Asus VE278Q 27 Wide Led Black Full HD Internet Price: $399.00

Acer has a three year warranty so that's good, I have not seen that particular model in real life, but the 24" version looked fine to me. But I cannot resist making an alternate suggestion for an Asus, its all I use here and what I recommend for my clients, a little more expensive but worth it for picture quality IMHO.

Thanks for that- I had looked at the Asus, but it only has tilt adjustment- I want height adjustment, too...

Which is probably where the Samsung falls down, too- I need to see its stand in action- really the main reason it is still in the race is that my last two monitors (including this current one) have been excellent.

I think, in the end, the Acer might win in enough areas to take it over the line, but I would dearly love to see one in person...

Thanks again :)

Well, yesterday I had a look at an Acer that uses the same panel (I think) and a Samsung with the same base/stand...

In short, not very impressed with the Samsung stand, so it is probably out. The Acer looked pretty good...so it appears to have won the right to my money...still a couple of weeks off purchase, but- barring something from left field- it seems my decision is made :)

Well, yesterday I had a look at an Acer that uses the same panel (I think) and a Samsung with the same base/stand...

In short, not very impressed with the Samsung stand, so it is probably out. The Acer looked pretty good...so it appears to have won the right to my money...still a couple of weeks off purchase, but- barring something from left field- it seems my decision is made :)

Why not the S series from Acer? http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/model/ET.HS3HA.005

It is a bit cheaper and has a faster response, and a higher contrast ratio

Is it me or is shopping for a monitor a PITA?

I cant make my mind and the S273HL 27" ( ET.HS3HA.005 ) Vs: B273H 27" ( ET.HB3HA.005 )

I think the S is wide screen? is cheaper and has a higher contrast ratio. Weird?

How about a HP ...they look alright here:

HP 27"

i think it is wide screen. but they have a 25inch there as well:

HP 25

Why not the S series from Acer? http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/model/ET.HS3HA.005

I cant make my mind and the S273HL 27" ( ET.HS3HA.005 ) Vs: B273H 27" ( ET.HB3HA.005 )

I think the S is wide screen? is cheaper and has a higher contrast ratio. Weird?

Well, they are both widescreen- same resolution. I prefer the B because it has a more adjustable stand (as in height adjustment, specifically)...

..but yeah, shopping for a monitor IS a major PITA- mainly because it is virtually impossible (well, depending on the model, obviously) to see the monitors in action before buying!...on that point- the S273HL is the panel I looked at in JB the other day- screen looked alright, but, as mentioned, the stand wasn't to my liking...

...oh, and just remembered- no DVI input on the S panel :(

(And one of the worst things about monitor buying is when companies like Acer don't list comprehensive specifications AND don't have email contacts to ask questions!!!)

Well, they are both widescreen- same resolution. I prefer the B because it has a more adjustable stand (as in height adjustment, specifically)...

..but yeah, shopping for a monitor IS a major PITA- mainly because it is virtually impossible (well, depending on the model, obviously) to see the monitors in action before buying!...on that point- the S273HL is the panel I looked at in JB the other day- screen looked alright, but, as mentioned, the stand wasn't to my liking...

(And one of the worst things about monitor buying is when companies like Acer don't list comprehensive specifications AND don't have email contacts to ask questions!!!)

I have decided to buy the 27" Samsung here:

Samsung 27 3D

I have decided to buy the 27" Samsung here:

Samsung 27 3D

Certainly looks a sweet monitor. Would not suit me, but hopefully it rocks your world! :)

Certainly looks a sweet monitor. Would not suit me, but hopefully it rocks your world! :)

Yeh...personally i dont like the look of it and i have a feeling it will not adjust all that well which is unfortunate.

but it has great specs in all the other areas.

Can i ask you what you mostly do with your monitor? CAD? Gaming?

I have to say i use it for CAD, Sketchup, gaming, videos, net etc.. probably 60% work and 40% leisure.

I started to seriously consider how much time i sat in front of this thing and was seriously considering the big Dell ultra sharp for $1500 I was thinking..Fark it...just buy it you will use it for at least 3 years.

Yeh...personally i dont like the look of it and i have a feeling it will not adjust all that well which is unfortunate.

but it has great specs in all the other areas.

Can i ask you what you mostly do with your monitor? CAD? Gaming?

I have to say i use it for CAD, Sketchup, gaming, videos, net etc.. probably 60% work and 40% leisure.

I started to seriously consider how much time i sat in front of this thing and was seriously considering the big Dell ultra sharp for $1500 I was thinking..Fark it...just buy it you will use it for at least 3 years.

My two cents is that if you are using the monitor for work, then the Dell U2711 must sit near the top of your list. Personally, mine will be for basic PC use and movies/xbox, so I don't need to same specs as you. If you can afford it (which is a biggish if!), go the Dell

I felt I should highlight my fault in this- Acer do indeed have a electronic form for contact, which I have now used and await an answer- I REALLY need to know if the B273H has an audio/headphone out. So, I stand corrected- it took a fair effort to find, but the contact is available.

Hi bowiee,

The Acer has fallen out of contention as it turns out there is no audio out or earphone jack, which is a deal breaker for me. I wanted to ask- have you had any experience with the VK278Q? It makes my wallet happier, but I'm prepared to pay the extra for the VE if it is worth it. Input from anyone else with experience of the Asus monitors will be most appreciated.

Stu

Edit, I am getting confuzzled with model numbers, please disregard this last question!

Edited by stuub27

It actually depends on your needs. but personally, i would prefer Acer B273H over the other one.

In the end, the Acer turned out to not meet my needs, so I've jumped ship to the Asus...and, come Friday, I shall be making the purchase!

Thanks to all for discussion.

Just a quick note to say the Asus VE278Q arrived this morning. All cabled and fired up and looking sweet! 27 inches is definitely the biggest screen I could have in my current environment...almost too big! But I ain't complaining :)

I have to fine tune the colours and so on, but no rush.

So yeah, thanks all, but thanks bowiee especially for recommending the Asus!