Sign in to follow this  
iamthemaxx

Thanks for the lack of interstitials

I've recently unsubscribed from both the PCA and ITNews newsletters after clicking on a few interesting stories and having to sit through shitty interstitials just to read their articles (that or click around them, just as annoying).

And after checking this weeks newsletter I'm pleased to see you haven't succumbed. So thanks :)

oh dear, I hadn't noticed them on the PC&TA newsletter articles, perhaps because I have an ad-blocker installed.

Yeah, one thing I do like here is that when I say we'll lose readers if we do that shit, people listen :)

then again, sometimes I get up to 4 "newsletters" a day from PC&TA, they really push through a lot more news than Atomic. (not that that's a bad thing for Atomic)

then again, sometimes I get up to 4 "newsletters" a day from PC&TA, they really push through a lot more news than Atomic. (not that that's a bad thing for Atomic)

It's really just the same stuff though with minor changes during the day.

I'd be the same if Atomic sent a daily summary of news (which it should!).

I'm happy enough with the stuff that comes through the twitter feed (Atomic and PC&TA), but the newsletters are great for catching up on things I may not have had time to look at during the day, or missed.

RSS FTW!

My reader is set to poll the ITNews server once a day, then I can sift through the articles at my leisure. No annoying emailed newsletter for me that are probably full of HTML anyway.

Now, if Atomic would send me a genuine multipart/alternative newsletter with a real plain-text part I would be a very happy camper.

The RSS feeds are crap cause they are only headlines, I've made a point about this in the past :p

Yeah, a little too tabloid for my liking.

And the writers seem to know very little about real tech ...

Now, if Atomic would send me a genuine multipart/alternative newsletter with a real plain-text part I would be a very happy camper.

I know we have a plaint-text version of the newsletter - are you saying there's an issue with it?

I like it as is.

Once per week, I get something I can digest. I know I have all week to ponder through it.

For personal emails, I read the lot in 1 go. BAM. Read, if necessary, reply.. DONE!

But newsletters? I don't want to go through it in 1 hit. It's got linkies and all that. I'll wander through it. See what immediately grabs my interest. Click it. Read that. Get distracted by something wander off, hours later come back read a little more.

The newsletter as is follows the KISS principle almost perfectly. Don't change it or I'll come and I'll key your car then widdle in the air intake for your air conditioning.

AD

It would of course be an opt-in, but even so...

I couldn't imagine anyone would have trouble with an opt-in daily newsletter. Personally I would not subscribe, and wouldn't be singing with joy if it was opt-out :P

Despite the fact I wouldn't reply, making it a daily thing might be a bit much? I'd guess I'd speak for others too when I say that something along the lines of "daily, or whenever we've collated enough interesting things" would be preferable, as it prevents useless newsletters being sent out just because its been 24 hours since the last one.

Rob.

if you want a barrage of emails every day, sign up for the PC&TA ones, they write or source a heck of a lot more stuff. they don't tend to do gaming related stuff either.

I know we have a plaint-text version of the newsletter - are you saying there's an issue with it?

Oh? How do I switch to it?

I looked on the newsletter registration page and there's no ability to select which format to receive. Further, I don't recall seeing anywhere in a previous newsletter any way to alter the current setting, there's only a link to unsubscribe.

Now that's interesting - I know we send out a text-version! I'll point a dev at it :)

Actually, I'd like to get a text version as well. We still use Lotus Notes at work and it doesn't like the current HTML version of the newsletter. I have to do a bit of reformat tap dancing to make it readable.

I know the problem is Lotus Notes, but that's not going to change any time soon.

I looked on the newsletter registration page and there's no ability to select which format to receive. Further, I don't recall seeing anywhere in a previous newsletter any way to alter the current setting, there's only a link to unsubscribe.

What's up with the states on that page???

Posted Image

Holy fucksticks!!!

yes that's what I thought when I saw it. Looks like something has been injected into that page and most likely anyone using it to sign up is compromising their details ^_^

Edited by PointZeroOne