Sign in to follow this  
iamthemaxx

Thanks for the lack of interstitials

No, it's nothing malicious - remember the old adage: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

In this case, it's simply some code that was used on one of Haymarket's Indian sites, and which has found its way into Atomic's code-base :)

No, it's nothing malicious - remember the old adage: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

In this case, it's simply some code that was used on one of Haymarket's Indian sites, and which has found its way into Atomic's code-base :)

oh, I was hoping for it to be something malicious

/anti-climax

Edited by PointZeroOne

Now that's interesting - I know we send out a text-version! I'll point a dev at it :)

Well, this week's edition was definitely all HTML, nary a sign of a plain-text version at all. If you want, I'll send you a copy of the raw source confirming it.

(BTW, the 'State' field in the newsletter subscription form is still...wonky.)

Edited by Zzozzach

This is quite odd, actually.

We send out two versions, and I'd always assumed there was an option to choose which one you get - which, obviously - and despite the fact that we DO prep a text verion - there isn't. I'm about as mystified by that as you :)

We send out two versions, and I'd always assumed there was an option to choose which one you get - which, obviously - and despite the fact that we DO prep a text verion - there isn't. I'm about as mystified by that as you :)

I'm no dev, but I have spent a great deal of time preparing EDMs for various Haymarket publications, and I think it's set up to automatically detect html settings? We do prep a text version but you only get it if you don't have html enabled (or if, for some reason, it goes straight into your outlook junk folder - as some used to do for me). That's how I've always understood it anyway.

*cue dev wading in and correcting me*

I'm no dev, but I have spent a great deal of time preparing EDMs for various Haymarket publications, and I think it's set up to automatically detect html settings? We do prep a text version but you only get it if you don't have html enabled (or if, for some reason, it goes straight into your outlook junk folder - as some used to do for me). That's how I've always understood it anyway.

*cue dev wading in and correcting me*

That's what a multipart/alternative email is all about. There is both a plain-text part (which should always appear first) and a HTML part in the message content, and the recipient's email client will display whichever one it's configured to. In the case of the one I received yesterday all I got was HTML, there was no plain-text alternative at all. This leads me to believe that your email campaign management system either sends the plain-text versions separately or else it's not adding the plain-text to the regular emails.