Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

Wireless Broadband

So Telstra has informed us that we can not get ADSL in the unit we are moving to, I checked http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ and we are apparantly about 3km from the exchange, which I thought would have been close enough for some form of DSL, but apparantly not.

So it looks like my only option is wireless, apparantly the reception there will be good, but I'm wondering about what kind of hardware I need for it, all the providers have similar pricing, around $80/m for 18gb, I was looking at dodo's pricing and they're the same as internode, which makes node slightly more attractive, mainly for the fact that they usually have free usage on games.on.net, steam clusters etc. but I couldn't find anything on their site saying whether this is the case with wireless or just their broadband.

Does anyone have any ideas about that?

Also, with wireless is it possible to get a proper modem/router that will extend the service or whatever and give me higher speeds/better signal? Or would I have to get one of those modems that you plug the wireless usb modem into and use that? I'm really not to savvy on the whole wireless thing at all.

Telstra NextG is best option even though they want steal all your money and cost more. They will have the best speed and coverage.

The exchange may just not be enabled for ADSL. I lived a few hundred metres from the un-enabled exchange in my last town, for about ten years. Every now and then, I'd 'register my interest' and search around for any word on rollouts, which always ended in frustration. Telstra would occasionally call and try to sell me NextG, but there wasn't enough reception to bother, plus that shit is expensive yo. Was at about $130 p/m for 10GB at the time, don't know what they're at now.

Do you know if 3G reception is available from Dodo and Internode and stuff there? Are they just Optus resellers?

I'm not sure, calling up internode now to find out a few things and will call dodo next.

Telsuck is $70 for 12gb whereas dodo and node are $80 for 18gb.

Then optus has 16gb on peak, 32gb off peak for $70/m.

Anyway, I was on the phone to internode as i typed this up and the guy said it sounds like a line pairing issue, as the address is well within range of the exchange (2200m or something) so i have signed up to node and they are going to do an investigation and see if they can get dsl connected there for me.

Furthermore I found out that optus has great wireless coverage at the address, as do telstra, so dodo or internode would be fine options, however internode dont offer free quota on their 3g mobile broadband plans, so heres hoping the dsl is able to be connected.

Anyway, I was on the phone to internode as i typed this up and the guy said it sounds like a line pairing issue, as the address is well within range of the exchange (2200m or something) so i have signed up to node and they are going to do an investigation and see if they can get dsl connected there for me.

Mate I'd do that. They said the same thing about my place in Brisbane and I live in the valley. They had it sorted in a week and had us connected syncing at 23mbs. If they cant deliver the server then your no worse of then you started.

You're in luck. Where I live Optus and Vodafone have crappy coverage, only Telstra seems to here properly because they own all the towers.

Vivid using WiMax (aka 4G) is also here in Australia but coverage sucks too.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian...x-1225830670639

There's no 4G in Australia.

At least not until the 29th of August according to this story.

Except that I'll be stuck on a phone plan for 3 months that I don't want or need.

You could go naked (that's an image I did not need) with Internode.

When I moved in, Westnet were all, you're 5km from the exchange, it may not be worth it... Of course, there's only one exchange in the area, and everywhere is on RIMs. So I get max ADSL1 speeds no problem. I'd have to go Telstra for ADSL2, but I'm not sure they have upgraded the RIM for it.

At least your exchange is actually enabled so you won't have to wrestle with the costliness and shittiness of wireless or, gulp, satellite.

Yep, we are close, 4G is upon us....but not yet.

Let's hope Telstra have done their homework...

"The problem centers on the L Band 1 where the transmitters will operate — 1525 MHz to 1559 MHz. That's perilously close to the GPS frequencies — 1559 MHz to 1610 MHz. The study shows that a Garmin 430, for example, starts to show the effects of interference at as far away as 13 miles from the transmitter. "

It's an oldish article, so the problem may have been rectified. But it's a valid problem none the less.

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/fcc-approval...s-threatens-gps

Edited by twinair

i just won my battle with telstra.

Just drop the 'o' word 'ombudsman' and they shit their pants

I had 400 knocked off the bill and the early leaving fee wiped

But now i have no net ...

Apart from this phone which seems to have free net

i just won my battle with telstra.

Just drop the 'o' word 'ombudsman' and they shit their pants

I had 400 knocked off the bill and the early leaving fee wiped

But now i have no net ...

Apart from this phone which seems to have free net

Shit, that reminds me. Telstra have been sending us bills ever since we moved in here, even though we had our phone changed to be bundled with our internet through Westnet. Was on the phone for hours trying to convince Telstra that we were only ever connected through them for about two days and that they have not provided us with a service since. They agreed to reimburse us the bills we had paid and would remove us from their system. Cut to a month later... new bill!

Fucking Telstra.

Looks like I may be getting ADSL of some sort, telstra tech came around today to connect the phone and also told me that he had connected the internet. Just need to wait to hear back from Internode now.

Looks like I may be getting ADSL of some sort, telstra tech came around today to connect the phone and also told me that he had connected the internet. Just need to wait to hear back from Internode now.

Woooot. Thats pretty good In brisbane I had to wait 2 weeks for someone to come out to the house.

Woooot. Thats pretty good In brisbane I had to wait 2 weeks for someone to come out to the house.

I had to wait 8 weeks to get net with decent speeds when I switched over to telstra >.< 3 technician visits to, the first two techs were hopeless and didn't want to hear it from me the there was a problem with the phoneline not our hardware.

I signed up with internode and their customer service has always been fantastic. If I do end up with net I will suck internode off, seriously.

I signed up with internode and their customer service has always been fantastic. If I do end up with net I will suck internode off, seriously.

Yeah Im with internode too here. Thing was is that there was a bunch of asians living in my place before I moved in and they just got up and left the country so the phone line was still in their name etc and telstra wouldn't speak to me until I had shown them the lease which is fair enough.

My old italian owner has been trying to track them down because he owes them their bond money. Hes so cute.

So I just found out that 2 of the 3 phone ports in this house don't work, that includes the one in the study, unless the landlord pays to fix it, looks like I'll be getting wireless add in cards or something for the pcs, kind of annoying.

So I just found out that 2 of the 3 phone ports in this house don't work, that includes the one in the study, unless the landlord pays to fix it, looks like I'll be getting wireless add in cards or something for the pcs, kind of annoying.

I run those ethernet over home powerpoint adapters and they are pretty good if you don't want wireless but still don't want a mess of network cables snaked through the house. Edited by nesquick

Roof an option? Speak to your landlord.

I run those ethernet over home powerpoint adapters and they are pretty good if you don't want wireless but still don't want a mess of network cables snaked through the house.

Whats the price of a pair of those?