Sign in to follow this  
justo316

Finally bought a motorbike

.....after riding a scooter for a few years, I've graduated :) ....to an Aprilia RS125

Wasn't planning on getting a bike just yet. This one came up for sale. I (and everyone my mate talked to) convinced him to buy it as his first bike. It was going CHEAP and only had 1800kms on it. My mate got it. Then about a week and a half later (now) he decides he really wants the Ninja 250R he ordered (which only just came in after 3 months waiting). So, I took it off his hands. It's been my dream bike (in my dream colour too) ever since they came out.

This thing goes hard. being 2 stroke it kinda feels like there's a turbo charger on it cos when it hits 7k rpms, it takes off to silly speeds. His bike (the ninja), feels like a scooter with gears. Linear power response. Upright seating position. Tooooooo easy to ride. I gave it a *meh* rating. As opposed to when I jump on my RS125, which feels exciting and challenging.

(now I just need to go get my riding license)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

nice looking motor, I have been trying to get my fathers bikes for a while, Honda watercooled shaft drive, Indian hard tail and a triumph. Bastard won't fork them over, reacons I have to wait until he dies.

I very briefly thought that photo was of a RSV1000, and i was about to make a comment involving learners and to much money. You will have lots of fun on the rs125, its a good little pocket rocket. Just remember to always do the rebuilds when they are due, and it will last you a long time.

Oh and most importantly, stay up right. Otherwise you will have to morgage your house to buy new fairings.

Bastard won't fork them over, reacons I have to wait until he dies.

Not that I blame him, but you could kill him.

.....after riding a scooter for a few years, I've graduated :) ....to an Aprilia RS125

Wasn't planning on getting a bike just yet. This one came up for sale. I (and everyone my mate talked to) convinced him to buy it as his first bike. It was going CHEAP and only had 1800kms on it. My mate got it. Then about a week and a half later (now) he decides he really wants the Ninja 250R he ordered (which only just came in after 3 months waiting). So, I took it off his hands. It's been my dream bike (in my dream colour too) ever since they came out.

This thing goes hard. being 2 stroke it kinda feels like there's a turbo charger on it cos when it hits 7k rpms, it takes off to silly speeds. His bike (the ninja), feels like a scooter with gears. Linear power response. Upright seating position. Tooooooo easy to ride. I gave it a *meh* rating. As opposed to when I jump on my RS125, which feels exciting and challenging.

(now I just need to go get my riding license)

Nice. Though don't be knocking the ninja :p

You'll be throwing it round like a pro in no time. Good thing about toy bikes is they're easy peasy to ride. Just point into a corner and twist the throttle as hard as you can.

Next step:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 4-stroke isn't the next step Kikz, lulz.

This is:

WR360

Posted Image

lol yeah... though I'd be saying that's the best starting point. get comfortable with really moving around on the road/gravel/trail. When you've got no issues with the back sliding out (and you're used to falling off lol) step up to a road bike. Guess it depends on what you want to do. But definitely, riding trails is the best way to get the skills IMO.

Did you do any research before you got the RS125? I hope you do realise you will have to replace the cylinder head after about 10,000km, could be more..

Oh and 2 strokers burn oil like there's no tomorrow...

Why did you choose a 2 stroker as your first proper "bike"?

If you didn't need something thats LAMS approved(which all 2 strokers are not), why didn't you get a 4stroke 600cc bike? What's the law in WA anyway??

Nice ride anyhow...

Did you do any research before you got the RS125? I hope you do realise you will have to replace the cylinder head after about 10,000km, could be more..

Oh and 2 strokers burn oil like there's no tomorrow...

Why did you choose a 2 stroker as your first proper "bike"?

If you didn't need something thats LAMS approved(which all 2 strokers are not), why didn't you get a 4stroke 600cc bike? What's the law in WA anyway??

Nice ride anyhow...

Plenty of research :P

I've had 2 aprilia 2 stroke scooters so I'm aware of oil usage and top end rebuilds. I even did a big bore kit on one of my scoots. I will probably do a big bore kit on this bike when it comes time.

In WA we're flat out limited to 250cc bikes or less. The problem is, there are bugger all new 250's available, and the 2nd hand market is stupidly overpriced. I saved about $3k on this bike from retail. Can't argue with that.

Apart from this bike being my dream bike, I wanted something that would be exciting to ride. I wanted that urge or just-one-more-go.... I get that with this bike. I love the 2stroke powerband. I love the smell of 2stroke oil burning. I love the sound!

You know how riders always seem to say, just get a shitter for your first bike, do your year, then get a big bike. They also say, you always get used to the speed and want more. Well, that's how I felt on the ninja. It's not that it does anything wrong....it's just boring is all.

Small bore two strokes are the best things to learn on. Starting on a four stroke will make you lazy.

How so?

Small bore two strokes are the best things to learn on. Starting on a four stroke will make you lazy.

How so?

Clutch control. Staying in the powerband. Things you don't have to worry about so much on most four strokes.

How so?

Clutch control. Staying in the powerband. Things you don't have to worry about so much on most four strokes.

I still fail to see how it makes you lazy just because your not clenching your butt hole.

Even on a two stroke it should become second nature.

I'm with Tom.

We coming out now?

You could let me know before telling the world.