Katatonic

Windows XP Installation Looping

Hey Guys,

Stupid problem I know but Windows XP Installation keeps looping, this is with automated installation disks and non automated.

It'll get to the initial blue setup screen and then proceed again and again, it'll copy Windows files then restart...

Motherboard:

Foxconn A7GM-S all in one

Running IDE drive + cd-rom (noticed it's secondary 1/2 instead as primary 1/2), I'm guessing that's because primary is reserved for SATA drives? I chose IDE to avoid installation issues with SATA drivers, however realised I should've just slipstreamed.

It's an all in one motherboard. Everything is brand new.

I had to reset the BIOS manually with the jumper when I first powered it up because I wasn't getting any screen signal. Are there any settings I'm missing out on?

Obviously set it to boot from the CD drive. Tried alternating the order, then just initially letting it boot from the cd rom drive and manually switching it back etc. It's not proceeding to boot from the hard drive.

Hopefully I just missed a setting, otherwise I have to pull it apart and test the hardware.

I know what you're doing.

lol. after the initial blue screen of copying files, you DONT 'boot from CD' you then boot from harddisk but it still uses the CD. a lot of people still 'push any key'.

Get the blue stage done, and when it counts down the reboot, remove the CD. It'll load back up into full windows setup, say 'please insert CD' and away it'll go.

Yeah - I had that exact same phonecall from Fredzfrog one day

It only needs to boot off the disk once - After its first restart, let it boot up from the hard drive

I'm not pushing a key to boot from the cd drive again.

That's why I said I've even triad manually disabling booting up from the cdrom after it's transferred the files in the initial phase.

That's why I said I've even triad manually disabling booting up from the cdrom after it's transferred the files in the initial phase.

Take the disc out when in restarts... and if that doesn't work, I'd try another XP disc, sounds like this particular one is playing funny buggers.

Also, there is no problem with installing from SATA drives.

Yeah - Try what Master suggested though - After the first boot off CD, allow it to copy everything over - Then, when it goes to restart, eject the disk and take it out of the tray

What will happen (Probably) is if you eject the tray, the system will suck it back in on start up and boot from it - Just take the disk out, let it boot up off the hard drive, and when it needs the disk (And it will, and it will ask nicely) stick it back in

You may have the BIOS option "Boot from other device" (Or words to the effect of) enabled as well which would make it try to boot from cd <= I think this may be the issue, but cant say for sure

Check that BIOS option is disabled, or try taking the CD out between restarts and see how it goes

EDIT:

Its not crashing is it? Not seeing a BSOD flash by quickly?

Take the disc out when in restarts... and if that doesn't work, I'd try another XP disc, sounds like this particular one is playing funny buggers.

Also, there is no problem with installing from SATA drives.

I haven't tried taking the disk out, but I have tried 3 separate XP disks.

I realise there isn't a problem installing from SATA drives, as I said I should've just slipstreamed them, but I can't even get Windows on this drive ><

Edit: It's not detecting the hard drive after reboot, this is obvious as it goes "unable to boot from bla, please select device or insert media" along those lines. I just didn't think the installation could successfully format and then install copy the files with no errors. I'm trying another hard drive and seeing how that goes, failing that I'll go for a SATA drive.

I'm asking just in case I've missed some kind of new setting with the motherboard, as it seems IDE has been been secondary choice and SATA primary. Also since I had to reset the motherboard just to get video I lost confidence in it.

Edit: Bah, first hard drive loops installation, 2nd hard drive has a read error. I'm pretty sure it's the drives.

Haha, well THAT explains the looping then doesnt it?

if the HDD isnt being listed as bootable, even if you have the CD at the very bottom of the boot order, it will try everything in order that its listed.

HDD, no

Network, no

USB, no

CD, YES!

that explains why you didnt have to 'push any key to boot from CD' it was the only boot option!