Sign in to follow this  
Khamûl

[Urgent] Epson printer out of ink that I don't need

Basically I have a heap to print and don't have cash for a new cartridge today, but it's a yellow printer cartridge which I don't need at all. I just need to use the black, however the printer is saying it won't print without the cartridge.

Any work around for this? I've already taken it out and shaken it, but no luck. I just need to print in black, no need for yellow ink.

It's a CX5900 btw.

It's a dick move on the part of the ink manufacturers, happens in most printers these days. I've never looked for a workaround for it. You could try drilling a hole in the side of the old tank and dribbling some water in, that's about all I've got.

The printer model number is not nearly as helpful as the cartridge model BTW, since most printers can take several kinds of carts, and the carts all have different chips in them.

Basically I have a heap to print and don't have cash for a new cartridge today, but it's a yellow printer cartridge which I don't need at all. I just need to use the black, however the printer is saying it won't print without the cartridge.

Any work around for this? I've already taken it out and shaken it, but no luck. I just need to print in black, no need for yellow ink.

It's a CX5900 btw.

Put the cartridge back in and go to printer preferences. Look for an option for grayscale printing. Select it and apply the changes and see if you can now print. This works with some printers, but not others, depends on the individual printer. if it doesn't work you will have to fit a new tank before you can print.

Put the cartridge back in and go to printer preferences. Look for an option for grayscale printing. Select it and apply the changes and see if you can now print. This works with some printers, but not others, depends on the individual printer. if it doesn't work you will have to fit a new tank before you can print.

I know for the Epson plotters they won't print unless you have all cartridges, regardless on what and how you're printing. It's a super dick move.

That sucks ... my Canon allows B&W/greyscale even if one colour is gone.

Mine doesn't.

It requires all three colors and BOTH black cartridges to work, even in greyscale.

my $50 canon printer/scanner/etc lets me print in greyscale (without colour) or when one cartridge has completely run out.

it seems like a real dick move from the printer manufacturers but one im sure we've all experienced at some stage.

edit: this thread is a bit old.. oops, i should let it die now.

Edited by p0is(+)n