Sign in to follow this  
Oracle X

[POS] From Dust

Fucking srsly. Way to ruin a great game with your POS DRM.

Of the hour I spent playing the game, 1/3 of that time is spent waiting for you to "synchronize" my save games. Then all of a sudden the game STOPS and WAITS with its hands up its ass cos it can't connect to your server making me restart the fucking thing, at which time I have to restart the fucking map going over the same cut scene that I can't skip only to lose connection AGAIN!!!

UN

FUCKING

BELIEVABLE

So you know what Ubisoft.

FUCK YOU.

I will never EVER EVER buy another game from you again.

You can go fuck yourselves.

I was going to do an actual review of the game cos I enjoyed what little bits I tried, but honestly, fuck it, Ubitchsoft has made it unplayable so why bother.

My advice is just pirate it.

Srsly, even if you don't want to play it, pirate it as a big FUCK YOU.

/end rant

So you know what Ubisoft.

FUCK YOU.

I will never EVER EVER buy another game from you again.

You can go fuck yourselves.

That's exactly what I said when they did it to whatever version of assassins creed and that submarine game. Honestly, my quality of living seems to have improved now that there are no ubisoft games in my life.

I should have paid more attention, I guess. My last few purchases were for small games and had zero issues so I didn't think to check for DRM and hey it's only a $15 game right!!

Serves me right for wanting to support the developer.

Serves me right for wanting to support the developer.

I only support developers who think of what I want rather then their own pockets. Ubisoft has their heads so far up their own arses (and pockets) that I don't even consider pirating their games any more. Each and every single one of them is a cash-grab, and the last non-shit game they were involved with was original farcry.

I considered making this thread a night or two ago, but I went from frustrated rage, to simply not caring.

How's that feel Ubisoft, knowing that even though I tried to support your PC division, tried to support Eric Chahl's return to development, I care so little that beyond 1 or 2 posts discussing how I can't get it to work (CTD after the Ubi logo), I've given up.

I don't give a fuck (beyond still being mad at having to sign up for UPlay, grrr).

Locked 30fps gaming on PC's in 2011, simply lol. No in game video options (like AA), lol. Analogue stick input being interpreted by the mouse (so not actual mouse input input), EL OH EL.

I sent a request for a Steam credit for the game, but I just don't give a fuck now. Keep my $15 and know tht I'm never buying another Ubi/UPlay branded game again.

/edit: Just saw this, which is a fan made FPS unlocker:

http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/18/from-dust-startup-hook/

Edited by elfinke

Ive been eyeing this game off on steam since the pre-order, but i kept getting a weird feeling when i moused over the add to cart button, i think it had something to do with the price, it looked decent enough for the $20-30 range game, but was priced very low, and now i know why, ubisoft fucked it with DRM, so glad i never bought it, if they release a patch that fixes the DRM and 30fps frame lock (AA can be forced via your graphics drivers.... so no biggy there lol), ill buy it, if not, then i wont buy it at all, plenty of other things i can sink my excess $$ in.

Seriously fuck Ubisoft. I've had similar problems to OP.

I'm now going to make a point of pirating every single Ubisoft game I possibly can, whether or not I actually want to play them.

I'm now going to make a point of pirating every single Ubisoft game I possibly can, whether or not I actually want to play them.

Just ignore their games completely. Don't contribute to piracy statistics.

Luckily I have no interest in playing Ubisoft games, only because there aren't any games by them that interest me

I'll stick to World of Tanks, Minecraft, and anything made by Valve :-D

EDIT: Oh wait, I've got Brothers in Arms (through Steam), and a retail copy of World in Conflict. I think these predate the shiity DRM?

Edited by nobody813

Piracy statistics can help. EA scored the record with spore, and they've been decidedly circumspect ever since. Just look at BC2. You can only have no-cd 10 times, but provided you are willing to use the CD, you can install it on as many computers as you want. That's progress.

So is launching their own *proper* digital distribution system.

Publishers do listen to piracy statistics, but only if they are big enough, and on the right game.

Which is not to say I endorse Dappers choice, I think he is wasting bandwidth, but the worlds not quite as straightforward as "Don't contribute to piracy statistics".

Edited by Sir_Substance

I don't think that's helpful, the last thing we need is every major distributor forcing you to install their own distribution system, that shits me to no end. I mean with the exception of Steam, just about everything else out there is a piece of turd.

I don't think that's helpful, the last thing we need is every major distributor forcing you to install their own distribution system, that shits me to no end. I mean with the exception of Steam, just about everything else out there is a piece of turd.

So was Steam when it first started. Everything is.

I know I won't buy anything outside Steam. Screw having a dozen clients installed.

agreed one os and one games client

steam although it still shits me unfortunately not everyone has unlimited broadband but they dont seem to care as they make its efficiency at downloading as bad as possible

I know I won't buy anything outside Steam. Screw having a dozen clients installed.

Have fun paying $99 for a download. A monopoly is not a good thing.

Not at all, I just won't buy it. Pretty simple for me.

I'm sorry to here people are having so much trouble trying to play this because it's a fantastic game and should be played by all. I've been on it not for 3 or so hours and it's been smooth sailing all the way, not one problem or hic-up. I wonder why some people are getting so much DRM grief and it's playing flawlessly for me?

Have fun paying $99 for a download. A monopoly is not a good thing.

from what i understand thats not steam

steams game prices are for the most part reasonable although im not sure what there % is

prices on steam that are higher in au than they should be is just priced the way steam is told to price it so as to not undercut au stores which are being supplied au region games at a highly inflated price so they can soak up the profits from a stronger au $

besides there is always still retail and gog which seems to help to keep them honest so far and plenty of my games lately are uk imports at ~$30-40 delivered for latest release games

but the filthy buggers are even trying to stop that with some new uk games apparently not able to be registered in au

i thought this kinda shit was supposed to be illegal over here? but some things they are even softer on that rapists

Indeed, I don't think Steam is responsible for the insane markup in price. And since it is in no way discriminatory afaik, they accept games from every developer/distributor, so really it's about the other distributors wanting a piece of the action and push their "exclusive to ..." bs from consoles to the PC market, and also potentially collect user data by forcing you and your friends to create accounts under their system.

disolusiond, just the luck of the draw I guess. The point is we shouldn't need the persistent online DRM for something that's purely single player!

Anyways, I've had better luck last night and managed to get through more than 1/2 the game.

Have to agree with elfinke on the FPS, the graphics options are pathetic and in no way takes advantage of the high performance a PC can produce. The mouse controls are a bit annoying with it sometimes going too fast then too slow. The game play is fun while you're working out how the strategy for expansion. The save system (if one can call it that) leaves much to be desired. All in all, quite enjoyable IF they haven't added in the draconian DRM. Not bad for $15.

Without DRM: 7/10

With DRM: 1/10

Edited by Oracle X

So was Steam when it first started. Everything is.

I have news for you, steam is a piece of turd. On about half the stema users I know, it crashes more frequently then they exit it or shut down the computer. It needs some competition.

I have no idea if origin will be any good, but I'm willing to give it a go.

However, launching their own digital distribution system is an example of trying to work with its userbase rather then force their doctrine through it. If putting DRM on your disks causes piracy, because there is no benefit to the system for the user, why not launch a system that does provide benefits? In exchange for authenticating every time you log in, you get access to a (presumably, if not this will kill origin) cheaper, online store that allows direct download and negates the need for CD's or CD keys.

Origin is an example of EA listening.

First of all, I haven't had problem with Steam for a long time. They're not perfect but they offer the largest range, best features, wide user base, and frequent OMFG special deals on a fairly stable platform. As far as I'm concerned, they HAVE no competition, 99% of the digital distribution I get is from Steam and it hasn't turned them into an evil monopoly.

Secondly, having other distributors setting up their down digital distribution system is in no way anti-monopolistic. How is it competition if the distributor FORCES you to ONLY use their platform to dl their game? If BF3 is available on both Steam AND Origin and other platforms then find you might have a case (if the price is the same), but since you can only get it via Origin then where's the competition?

I know the same argument can be applied to Valve and Steam but at least Steam came before the games and the platform is available to everyone.

Lastly, I would hardly call a persistent online DRM a step in the right direction from CD/DVD based DRM. It might do less harm to your computer but at the expense of your playing experience. One-time only online DRM imo is the only DRM I'm willing to accept.

First of all, I haven't had problem with Steam for a long time. They're not perfect but they offer the largest range, best features, wide user base, and frequent OMFG special deals on a fairly stable platform. As far as I'm concerned, they HAVE no competition, 99% of the digital distribution I get is from Steam and it hasn't turned them into an evil monopoly.

Secondly, having other distributors setting up their down digital distribution system is in no way anti-monopolistic. How is it competition if the distributor FORCES you to ONLY use their platform to dl their game? If BF3 is available on both Steam AND Origin and other platforms then find you might have a case (if the price is the same), but since you can only get it via Origin then where's the competition?

I know the same argument can be applied to Valve and Steam but at least Steam came before the games and the platform is available to everyone.

Lastly, I would hardly call a persistent online DRM a step in the right direction from CD/DVD based DRM. It might do less harm to your computer but at the expense of your playing experience. One-time only online DRM imo is the only DRM I'm willing to accept.

^ this.

Origin is not EA listening, it's them using selecting hearing to push their own crappy client whilst pulling their products from other distribution services. So, fuck them.

The competition comes in the form of them taking cuts from the sale of smaller studios using their system. I am concerned with how origin currently looks, because it looks like they might sell only EA products through it, and that would be a mistake.

If they can get smaller studios to sign on with origin though, especially if its a non-exclusive deal, it means people will have to pick which service they want.

That will mean the services will have to start being competitive. From a trivial perspective, it means more steam sales.

It also means valve might try to make steam work correctly, and implement some of those features that have been asked for for years.

Steam has been out how long, and we still have to use frays filter?

If steam had some competition, they might consider fixing some of these issues. Because I bet you when you tell origin to install stuff, it'll install it. With steam, when you tell it to install stuff, it flips three coins, and unless they all come up heads, it crashes. I don't consider that to be a good product.