Sign in to follow this  
Hlass

Region free?

Our ancient no-name region free DVD player has shat itself and I am looking for a replacement . Now they are getting affordable I was thinking of buying a cheap Blu-ray player.

Do region free Blu-ray players exist? (or that are at least region free for DVD playback if not Blu-ray). If not where do I get a better quality region free DVD player? I would rather get a already free one and not go to the bother of cracking a region locked one.

Yep they sure do, I and my two sons have one each with mine being the oldest, and all can handle different regions for dvd and bluray.

This is how I change it on my player, but if you have any problems use kogan live chat and they will advise you of how to do it.

1. Open the tray

2. Press the setup button on your remote

3. Press 9154

It should come up with configure player on the left side.

4. Select Configure Player

5. Press OK

6. Scroll down to BD Region, and you will be able to change the Region.

1. Open the tray

2. Press the setup button on your remote

3. Press 9154

It should come up with configure player on the left side.

4. Select Configure Player

5. Press OK

6. Scroll down to BD Region, and you will be able to change the Region.

MM doesn't like that with mine gives a prohibited message as soon as I hit 9.

I do have this one though

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-blu-ray...-full-hd-1080p/

According to the labels on the back it is BD region B, DVD region 4, but the Kogan website says region free (for DVDs at least).

Don't have any out of region disks here to check. :P

/edit

Just found this

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1495954

which provides some other codes.

:-)

Bloody region code bullshit.

Edited by aliali

Yep looks like it includes the codes for the latest players, so you can change either dvd or bluray regions. Gotta love Kogan.

Got this one on order. I'm excited! The USB port on the front is a nice touch, I have shit-loads of stuff on the computer that I have been to lazy to transfer to disc to watch on the TV. Now I can just use a flash drive.

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-blu-ray...-full-hd-1080p/

Ye mine has that too, but not tried it so far. According to Kogan it only supports

Supported movies file type: AVI

• Supported music file types: AC3, MP3, AAC

• Supported picture file types: JPEG, BMP, GIF

So rather limited on the video file support.

Still I have my networked Tvix PVR for playing a large range of files straight over the LAN from the PC or server so not really needed for me.

Tvix also has USB input for media playback/storage along with it's internal HDD.

Silly old aliali it supports more then AVI lol, this is off the front page for that player.

The Kogan Blu-ray player also features a USB input slot for Photo & Video viewing, and plays many additional movie formats such as MPEG, AVI and DIVX.

Silly old aliali it supports more then AVI lol, this is off the front page for that player.

The Kogan Blu-ray player also features a USB input slot for Photo & Video viewing, and plays many additional movie formats such as MPEG, AVI and DIVX.

Silly old ali looked at the specs rather than wading through the front blurb.

:-)

You would think they would mention it's full playback capabilities in the specs section.

Oh and this

http://www.kogan.com.au/media/uploads/2010...u-ray_wi-fi.pdf

says it will do MKV as well.

Got it. Works nicely with DVD and USB (don't own any Blu-Ray discs yet!) Despite the price it has a nice solid feel about the controls, menus and graphics not like the POS ultra cheapy we had before. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

I you want to get some Blus, go into JB Hifi/Sanity from time to time, and you'll come across 3 for $30 sales that you really benefit from. Check out this list for a vague idea of what's worth owning on blu. Many are simply shit and not worth the money, even if you love the movie (I'm looking at you, Lock Stock)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

I own or have seen about half of the Blu tier, and can definitely vouch for their quality.

isnt region locking illeagle in aus?

No.

But importantly it's not illegal to unlock/modify a device you own.

Most DVD players come with region free disabled but you can enable it by doing something to the device. Usually a code or some sequence on the remote control. Like what Bowii posted up. Just find a model you want and double check it's possible to 'Unlock' it.