Sign in to follow this  
hulkster

Archives.

How about you sort out unbanning me from the old forum and I'll post one of those threads in your honour?

Same account Virt, what I meant was from the old forum.

No, I wasn't naughty at all. I'm never naughty. One of our epileptic mods had a fit while fiddling with the ban button.

Edited by twinair

There were past glories...? I don't remember any more :-(

In other news... I have decided upon re-reading that I over-reacted to PV's post in this thread.

(Yes, I know it's taken 4 years for me to reach that conclusion. But it's the belated thought that counts, right?)

Well... I for one think that your thread contained just the right amount of bile and hysterical outcry. For a borderline psychotic.

I found the marketing decoder clarified the situation quite nicely and the gratuitous use of vulgarities added a certain charm.

Quite possibly the best example of self-righteous indignation I ever read on this esteemed forum.

Now if you excuse me, I need to clean up the coffee I just snorted from my nose whilst reading that thread.

Thank you. I do recall putting significant creative effort into going OTT, and then backing up a bit just so I could go OTT again :-)

Also in that thread ... Whatever happened to Estate, aka the Voice of Reason? I always admired the way he was able to stay cool despite the provocation of even ridiculously bad Korean DVD subscriber offers.

Edited by Virtuoso

Also in that thread ... Whatever happened to Estate, aka the Voice of Reason? I always admired the way he was able to stay cool despite the provocation of even ridiculously bad Korean DVD subscriber offers.

He headed off to bigger and better things at Haymarket UK :)

In other news... I have decided upon re-reading that I over-reacted to PV's post in this thread.

(Yes, I know it's taken 4 years for me to reach that conclusion. But it's the belated thought that counts, right?)

reading through that thread...

I'm hilarious! :D

I still can't access my PM's from the Archives. I would like to be able to. If someone would be so kind as to unban my old account.

I'm in the same situation.

I've requested to be unbanned for quite some time, but apparently i'm not important enough :(

I've requested to be unbanned for quite some time, but apparently i'm not important enough :(

Nah, we're all equally unimportant :-)

Nobody has access to the mod tools in the archives anymore. It's not that we don't love you guys, or fuck it, that we don't want to, it's that nobody can. I'm sorry.

ive always remembered that thread. at the time i decided you were either trolling with motivations i couldnt understand or were in the midst of a nervous breakdown of some sort. in all honesty, its because i was heavily leaning towards the latter that i decided not to comment further.

So, the idea that I was mildly miffed about a crap subscriber offer, but playing it up for laughs, never even occurred to you...?

Edited by Virtuoso

Atomic gave out foreign cds in the past? Good lord.

They were not foreign DVDs. They were locally sourced and distributed (not to mention subtitled) south korean films - action ones from memory. The kind of stuff we'd normally review in Culture Shock and, at the time, would occasionally review on the site, too.

They were not foreign DVDs. They were locally sourced and distributed (not to mention subtitled) south korean films - action ones from memory.

Dave, mate, come on... Those DVDs were filmed in Korea, by a Korean director, with Korean actors speaking the Korean language, and they were delivered in a box with Korea writing on it.

They were the very epitome of foreign DVDs :-)

Edited by Virtuoso

reading through that thread...

I'm hilarious! :D

..ly ugly! O Haio!

They were not foreign DVDs. They were locally sourced and distributed (not to mention subtitled) south korean films - action ones from memory.

Dave, come on... they were filmed in Korea, by a Korean director, with Korean actors speaking the Korean language, and they came in a box with Korea writing on it. Aka a 'foreign DVD' :-)

Had a bit of a read of the thread you linked having your OTT moment/s...

I find I can't get away from the fact that it's a tad crass to complain about a freebie given to you because you happen to subscribe to the mag. Somewhere in that thread, I think you also threatened to cease subscribing

unless the calibre of the freebie improved.

It occurs to me that a freebie need not be given at all ; you either subscribe or you don't.

Didn't your mother ever tell you that it was polite to accept a gift graciously...and that it's especially rude to complain to the giver of said gift how unsuitable you found their gift ?!

Now, I do see that you make the linked thread in jest, but here you are still harping on about it....:)

I find I can't get away from the fact that it's a tad crass to complain about a freebie given to you because you happen to subscribe to the mag.

Interesting perspective. From my point of view, companies should treasure above all else their loyal paying customers. And if they're going to offer them a commercial incentive, they should make it something a little less unappealing than someone else's leftover Korean DVDs.

Didn't your mother ever tell you that it was polite to accept a gift graciously...and that it's especially rude to complain to the giver of said gift how unsuitable you found their gift ?!

She did tell me that! And I did indeed treasure that advice, and incorporate it into my personal code of ethics.

However, my mother also told me that offers by commercial companies, as incentives to buy their products, are quite different to being given gifts.

My mum was good with being able to tell the difference between charity and commercial transactions. I can put her in touch with your mum if you like...?

Somewhere in that thread, I think you also threatened to cease subscribing, unless the calibre of the freebie improved.

Not exactly. It was more a case of not wanting to receive Korean DVDs which I'd then have to bin.

However, as it happens, after 7 years of being a loyal subscriber and promoter of everything Atomic, I ended up not resubscribing. In common with many other former subscribers, sadly.

Now, I don't know why those other non-renewers ddn't renew. Or how many of them didn't find Korean DVDs much of an incentive to resubscribe, and held out for something better, but maybe never got around to it, because the latest issue of Atomic wasn't at the newsagent or whatever. Or whether any of them invested their personal time to tell the Atomic staff and their marketroids the reason why they didn't resubscribe.

But I happen to still love Atomic and it's community so much, that I took the time to express - in what I thought was a comical and clearly deliberately OTT way - why I didn't think the re-subscription offer was very appealing.

Loyalty is important, my Mum said.

Edited by Virtuoso

I can put her in touch with your mum if you like...?

Ooh... might that be a little unwise, sweetheart, given your penchant for privacy? Would that not leave something of a trail back to your door? :-) Or maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones that I see other people's conspiracies unfolding in every shadow and every turn of pointed heel :-) Whatever, it's fun either way, is it not? :-)

I find I can't get away from the fact that it's a tad crass to complain about a freebie given to you because you happen to subscribe to the mag.

Interesting perspective. From my point of view, companies should treasure above all else their loyal paying customers. And if they're going to offer them an incentive, they should make it something a little less unappealing than someone else's leftover foreign language DVDs.
Well obviously that's a personal taste thing. Some must have liked them, not you though ;)... Still, as long as you don't cut your nose off to spite your face, and buy the mag when your at the newsagent then you don't miss out on all that

atomic goodness; just 'cause you don't happen to be enthralled by foreign DVDs.

She did tell me that, and I did indeed treasure her advice.

But my mother also told me that being made an offer by a commercial company, as an incentive to buy their product, is quite different to being given a gift.

My mum was good with being able to tell the difference between commerce and charitable gifting. I can put her in touch with your mum if you like...?

Oh, It's an incentive ! Forgive me, I thought the fact that you loved all things atomic would be incentive enough to subscribe, and any freebie was just icing on the already delicious cake.

It's just that you didn't like that particular icing...is all.

/ An alien's mother meeting my mum...mmmm... I'm sure it'd be an interesting meet :)

Yes. And being an alien of my word, after 7 years of being a loyal subscriber, I didn't resubscribe.

In common with many other former subscribers, sadly.

I don't know why those other non-renewers ddn't renew. Or how many of them didn't find Korean DVDs much of an incentive to resubscribe, and held out for something better, but maybe never got around to it. Or whether any of them spent the time telling the Atomic staff why they did or didn't resubscribe.

But I happen to still love Atomic and it's community so much, that I took the time to express - in what I thought was a comical and clearly deliberately OTT way - why I didn't think the re-subscription offer was very appealing.

My mum also told me that loyalty is a two-way street.

Yeah yeah...just out of curiosity, is subscribing a cheaper option than buying over the counter like regular peeps do ? :)

Well of course I'd need to set it up over a secure line with some kind on shared key encryption.

My mum is good at keeping mum about my identity.

Bit late on jumping on the band wagon...

Can we actually get some sort of incentive again for subscribing?

Another cheap crappy shirt with the atomic logo would do it for me...

Or another atomic case window decal.

Those things did happen right? i could swear i got some at one point with the mag...

I'm confident they'd have lots of leftover Korean DVDs to send your way ;-)

Edited by Virtuoso

I'm confident they'd have lots of leftover Korean DVDs to send your way ;-)

Meh...

Ill just pass them to my fiances mum, she'll love them.