Mr.Twinkie

5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer

I gotta admit this is quite a read for anyone that is a gamer.

5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer

Nothing else matters. Who's that woman Alan is talking to up there? Where are they going? How does it play into the story? What emotions is this scene going to elicit? Tension? Dread? Humor? HOW CAN YOU WORRY ABOUT SUCH THINGS WHEN THE ROLL CAGE ON HIS PICKUP TRUCK ONLY HAS A 19:25 PIXEL RATIO.

I don't agree with everything the writer said but there was some valid points being put out. And plus it's from Cracked.com so you know it comes with some great humor.

What do you reckon of it?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Good read, I think he's pretty much hit the nail on the head. I pretty much agreed with all of his points. I thought I was just getting bitter and jaded with gaming as I got older and I kinda feel better that I might not be the only one :P

I love cracked. I have their facebook page "liked" so I can see all their new articles, some of them are hilarious, will have a read of that one later.

Would people think you're cool if you tell them you just won a 1 million dollar Dota 2 competition?

Would people think you're cool if you tell them you just won a 1 million dollar Dota 2 competition?

No they wouldn't. their first question would be WTF is Dota 2 bro?

Great article - I love cracked and it's a regular visit along with SA - except for point number 1, which is hampered by it's need to meet a deadline and word count. And conversation on gamers' entitlement and necessarily, piracy, requires more exposition than a humour article is going to allow. But I'll forgive the author, as points 5-2 were excellent.

The GoW3 example is particularly salient, as I felt mildly embarrassed playing that part of the game in front my partner, not that she gives a shit. But something that childish and immature really stuck out. Mass Effect is full of jibber jabber like that too.

He makes valid points but nothing we didn't already know.

Well i didnt know you could pay a gal to be company with you as you play your xbox. Gotta love Cracked for showing me things in a incredibly humorous fashion.

Hmmm, agree with many of the points. I play games predominantly for the story line, having little time to get my skills up to a level that would see me be anything other than cannon fodder for teenagers who have 8+ spare hours a day. That said, as long as the emphasis is on a balance of material, then yeah, I agree. I think at the same time though, there's a place for mindless shooters etc... But it would be nice to have more well developed storylines.

As long as gaming doesn't involving the risk of injury/death, we will never be accepted as other sports.

Saw this video pop up on my facebook this morning.

Not 100% relevant, but it has some good points;

Edited by sgtsmithy

Meh - that wasn't that funny, I even read through the whole thing looking for comedy gold :( Being a gamer is fine, just some people take it to the extremes. There's heaps of 'jocks' who apparently are the normal ones playing games now thanks to the console industry and they tend to be the dicks online... I still think there's a big division between females and males in the gaming industry but that's changing with portable devices bringing games to the masses (think app store games and fb apps).

I think the next generation of people (I'm Gen X), it will be normal to turn out going out getting smasht to do a raid - but remember... moderation!

Nice read.. I'm starting to like these guys. I agree with all the points mentioned, although, some needs further explanations.

Aesthetically saying, the article is well-written but when it comes to the points mentioned, the writer should have put some examples or more jokes.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading it.

I have to agree with pretty much all those points in that article.

It does make me sad that one of my hobbies really hasn't grown with the times or at the very least hasn't bothered to analyze and cater for the varied demographics of it's customer base.

To the industry and the regular social streams, we are still 15 year olds that get excited about "awesome" features in a game and wanking over the hot chicks that are part of it.

You know what makes my skin crawl the most though? Booth babes. Or rather the pictures of sweaty nerds my age (30+) getting all excited about having their photos taken with them, I am not sure who it degrades more.

Booth babes. Or rather the pictures of sweaty nerds my age (30+) getting all excited about having their photos taken with them, I am not sure who it degrades more.

What about race queens and 30+ sweaty bogans excited about having their photo taken with them?

Booth babes. Or rather the pictures of sweaty nerds my age (30+) getting all excited about having their photos taken with them, I am not sure who it degrades more.

What about race queens and 30+ sweaty bogans excited about having their photo taken with them?

You answered your own question...

You answered your own question...

Just pointing out that it happens in other industries as well.

this reminds me of an article on US gizmodo site that recently got alot of attention. Writer basically named and shamed Jon Finkel (Magic TG world champion) because he didnt mention that on his "okcupid" page (i think thats like RSVP/oasis active etc).

Anyway to say there was public outrage at this lady is an understatement!

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/08/my-okcup...thering-player/

google imaging her name brings up some hilarious pics taking the piss from her article.