hawkeye

Request for opinions/tales

Hey gang, I'm putting together a story, sourced via our UK feed, on the sometimes abusive and offensive nature of online voice or text chat in gaming. I'd love to be able to match it with Atomican tales of issues and problems along these lines, and give it a proper local spin.

If you can spare a sentence or two, or even a hundred words or so, of any experiences you may have had, especially (but not exclusively) as a female gamer, I'd love you to email me - dhollingworth@atomicmpc.com.au

iv been called many things and coped much abuse due to my steam name

more so on american servers for some reason ...

Edited by st8smn

From the other side of the coin:

I'm an abusive gamer. I can't have fun unless it's at the expense of others. The anonymity and free nature of the internet allows me to say whatever I want and not fear the repercussions, which is a drastic change from my real-life job. I find I'm one of the nicest people in person to deal with, but meet me online and I'll have you frothing at the mouth with rage.

And I love it.

I'm so used to the 'abuse' thrown around in games via voice/txt chat that I don't pay attention to what is being said anymore.

Generally lately i have found that there isn't that much abuse around, (might just be me) but i play with friend and we always try to just have a good game and usually we get the same respect back. but maybe times are slowly changing because when i first started playing most of the online community (console and PC) ran their mouth. this was about 80% mum jokes and 15% constant swearing and just absurd words, then people usually slip in a bit of racism here or there. maybe the gaming community is growing up......... or maybe I'm just not playing enough games lol.

Played HoN just a few nights ago and due to being a n00b was abused non-stop by both teams. Sexuality, race and intelligence were among the topics brought up, and eventually I started responding (plenty of time while I wait to respawn ^__^).

I did LOL when one of the "pro" players on the other team said "This game is my life" in response to my explaining that I joined the game because it was labelled "noobs only"

orcone, I am so tempted to run that under your real name.

Also, I absolutely cannot respect that behaviour, at all.

orcone, I am so tempted to run that under your real name.

Also, I absolutely cannot respect that behaviour, at all.

I thought as much, which is why I decided against sending you an email explaining why I do what I do and how it all started. It's a very touchy subject alright.

Just top flip the topic around, could you explain why you're against it so much? I know it's "bad" and "wrong", but what specifically irks you about it? People say it "ruins their night" and then continue to stay on the same server as me and continue to yell and scream, when their problems would be solved if they changed servers.

Maybe a tad off topic, but has there been any study done into the effect of online abuse on gaming performance? (possibly even in relation to real world application, such as in the workplace as a motivational technique)

Here is a quick example off the top of my head. Game is not relevant, just picked this one as an example. Lets say that nobody in the example below had ever played the game in question before this experiment.

Lets have 2 groups in an MMO/whatever. Both have 10-12 members, one is the majority happy go lucky lets just have fun playing guild. The other a more majority hardcore player, none of them take kindly to failure and if someone lets them down we sure as hell let them know about it.

Lets say both groups have same items/same gear levels, and are working on the same content.

Which group do you think would perform better? Which group do you think would have the most fun when playing?

My opinion: it depends on your attitude as a gamer, some of us like to be pushed to achieve (as I do), and as hardcore gamers, abusing the weakest link is often the only way we know how to do this. As thats what happened to us 10 or however many years ago as we ventured into the online world and got abused in turn and improved.

at the same time, if you don't like being pushed then you can either just mute people or find a less hardcore game, adjust the time you play, or maybe just avoid team games?

it also depends on your circle of friends, if you have some tight knit gaming buddies then you could talk to them about the way they treat you online, or make more effort to play with them instead of strangers online who dont care about your feelings.

Lastly, my girlfriend is a casual gamer who has experienced online abuse (specifically WoW) possibly even at my hands a few times (haha?) and so i sent her a link to this thread maybe she will have time to write a few words.

Patrick

edit:

when their problems would be solved if they changed servers.

couldn't let this go, there would probably be someone like you on any other server too :)

Edited by p0is(+)n

Um, common decency, the fact that you'd never do this face-to-face, the lack of care about those around you, the hint of psychopathy from enjoying the discomfort of fellow gamers, the lack of understanding that for most people gaming is just gaming and not a way to score empty points in an equally empty life... should I go on?

You can airquote all you want, man, but being a dick is really just being a dick.

Um, common decency, the fact that you'd never do this face-to-face, the lack of care about those around you, the hint of psychopathy from enjoying the discomfort of fellow gamers, the lack of understanding that for most people gaming is just gaming and not a way to score empty points in an equally empty life... should I go on?

You can airquote all you want, man, but being a dick is really just being a dick.

I tend to agree here.

Nothing annoys me more than someone being a douche and getting defensive when people pull him up on it, the usual reply from such people is "Its only a game" which just annoys me further.

So its only a game? Well, so is blackjack, so is football, but being a douche while playing blackjack will either get you kicked off the table or worse (depending on where you play) and being a douche in the AFL has repercussions too, so just because its only a game, there is no excuse for ruining it for people who are legitimately trying to have fun.

No, because you're branding me as something I've heard all too many times before. And you're wrong.

I'm a confrontational person and happily piss people off right to their face, I choose who I do this to and when. It's not against the law to be a dick, and at the end of the day it's just a case of people having their feelings hurt.

I am probably a psychopath, and my life is empty and I cry myself to sleep yadda yadda. Truth be told, I spend $20 to buy a copy of CS (and another free 3 day trial copy) and can then run around as many servers as I like for 8-9 hours with my hacks on while I'm drunk or otherwise inebriated. It's a cost-effective and very fun way to spend a saturday night.

Good ole Austism. Giving us questions like "what's wrong with being a total fuckhead?" since 1874.

No autism.

No social problems.

No weight problems.

Got anything else?

It's not against the law to be a dick, and at the end of the day it's just a case of people having their feelings hurt.

Because of course feelings are meaningless, and it's the other person's problem... Uh huh.

Look, I'm not going to try and explain this to you, but I think it's time to stop pretending to like you.

Well this thread seems to be going as planned!

Shut up cunt or I'll stab your dog!

There you go hawkeye, ask twinny about the abuse he copped online!

Actually, it's going great, as I have already received a half dozen emails. I kinda figured I'd get a troll (or two), but that's just the forums, for you.

I appreciate that a lot of you are very upset by my actions (that most likely none of you have ever witnessed). I won't back down and go quiet about this taboo subject. Quite honestly, it's fun and I do it because I can. So I'll answer any questions you have as well as take a flurry of insults.

Am I doing this for attention? No, but Dave has asked the community to discuss this and damn it I'm going to see it through.

I always found that some games attract more "abusive" players, more than others.

Eg, Halo and other um, easy to play games.

But then in a game such as Arma 2, I usually find it is the opposite.

I can't say I have ever had a problem with it either, if people start to become abusive, I can easily become MORE abusive back, to the point where they will rage quit.

I would say I have ruined a few peoples nights because of this, but oh well...

Well this thread seems to be going as planned!

Shut up cunt or I'll stab your dog!

There you go hawkeye, ask twinny about the abuse he copped online!

Hahaha, dear me.

As for the douchebag defense force (1 man army) in this thread, jeez. Some expert trolling up in here.

Edited by elfinke

and can then run around as many servers as I like for 8-9 hours with my hacks on while I'm drunk or otherwise inebriated.

I don't mind when people are being dicks, but people who hack really piss me off.

Especially when they cause all the people in a good server to quit.

Am I doing this for attention? No, but Dave has asked the community to discuss this and damn it I'm going to see it through.

No, I asked the community to email me about their problems with abuse, not for folks to boast about it.