Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
bowlen

Learning the ways of Cisco

So I am really wanting to learn the ways of Cisco officially. I know a bit to configure a router and switches etc and work is helping me along, but I also want to build up my base knowledge and theory behind it all.

Now I have the book "CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate STUDY GUIDE - Todd Lammle" which is a pretty good book and I have started to read through it.

My question is, how have you guys (if at all) did you study to get your knowledge behind Cisco and then subsequently, pass your CCNA?

Just wanting to know if people bought a book, took a week off & crammed. Or read a chapter a week, just took notes and did some simuators etc.

Just the ways of study that was undertaken

I've done CCNA 1 last year for a first year subject, I'm currently doing CCNA 2 for my major, and I'm going to do CCNA fast track from one of my Lab tutor's other workplace. I study through Cisco NetAcad, and through Cisco M-Learning on my iPhone.

Just wanting to know if people bought a book, took a week off & crammed. Or read a chapter a week, just took notes and did some simuators etc.

Just the ways of study that was undertaken

Take your time whats the point of rushing it and if you rush it I can guarantee your not going to remember stuff later down the track which then makes you doing the CCNA pointless because you've only studied for the test and not for use in career.

Im sick of seeing people with CCNA written down but fail to understand the very basics of networking.

So the exams for CCNA are all about the theory & basics of networking etc etc as as well as all the CLI stuff?

So the exams for CCNA are all about the theory & basics of networking etc etc as as well as all the CLI stuff?

The first is (if you do it in two parts). The second is more focused on Cisco equipment and stuff you will probably never use unless you work in an ISP.

The first is (if you do it in two parts). The second is more focused on Cisco equipment and stuff you will probably never use unless you work in an ISP.

Or large scale WAN setups.

May aswell do a network +

Configuring the router or switch is the easy part.

It's the background knowledge of when and why to apply a certain command.

There's hundreds to know.

And if you're not specifically using CISCO gear, you're going to forget it pretty quickly.

If you are new to the networking side of things, I wouldn't jump right into a vendor specific course.

Yep If it's your first introduction to networking of any kind then I'd go back a step. CCNA assumes certain networking knowledge. Learn networking fundamentals that apply to any vendor - subnetting principles, network protocols (UDP, TCP, for example), basic routing protocols and simple troubleshooting of a network. Once you have that down then consider lab gear, if CCNA is a specific certification you're after.

Yep If it's your first introduction to networking of any kind then I'd go back a step. CCNA assumes certain networking knowledge. Learn networking fundamentals that apply to any vendor - subnetting principles, network protocols (UDP, TCP, for example), basic routing protocols and simple troubleshooting of a network. Once you have that down then consider lab gear, if CCNA is a specific certification you're after.

Yeah^

CCNA assumes you've already done basics - like in the Cisco Certification way, CCENT. However, the Networking Fundamentals subjects that you will do in Uni or something will go through CCNA 1.

When you do your CCNA, you will do 1, 2, 3 and 4

1 = Network Fundamentals

2 = Routing Protocols and Concepts

3 = LAN Switching and Wireless Demo

4 = Accessing the WAN

After that, they'd probably recommend you do a Concentration CCNA course, like Voice or Security before you move on to the higher Cisco courses like CCNP.

One thing never to forget is how to subnet. You'll learn it in Network Fundamentals or CCENT, and you'll use it all throughout your future if you head down the networking field.

CCENT is what you get when you pass the first CCNA exam. May as well do that, at least it's half of the CCNA if you plan to continue.

I did the Cisco Networking Academy Program at QUT which covers all the CCNA material. For subsequent CCNP subjects I studied the books (primarily the exam certification guides, because they're more concise) and also read up on some dodgy Cisco exams which you can find online, to get an idea of the STUPID FSCKING POORLY WORDED CISCO QUESTIONS they inevitably ask.