amckern

Wireless Antenna's

I am having trouble with my wireless connection, i suspect that becuase the router is stuck behind my bed side table, and the computer is in the living room (about 10m away) that the wireless signal is being blocked by all the stuff in the way.

I purchased a TP-Link USB Dongle thinking that my integrated wireless card was dead, but its still dropping out at random times.

I would like to purchase a Antenna like the TP-Link ones on PCCG http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14482 / http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=17146

Is this going to improve my performance?

On another note by first gen iinet naked modem is around 4 years old, and has been serving me well, the 2nd VOIP link is having trouble with noise, and i think its time to replace the modem. As the modem is NOT wireless should i think about ditching the wireless router, and the ADSL modem and getting something like BOB?

If your connection is unstable at 10m away.. I would say there would be something interfering. And a larger antenna probably wouldn't help.

What's near your router? Speakers, fishtanks etc..

Have you tried changing your Wi-Fi channel?

What's near your router? Speakers, fishtanks etc..

Have you tried changing your Wi-Fi channel?

Only thing near my router is a corded phone

I am currently on channel 13 of region 1 - i have used the default one, and also gone the other end of the spectrum (channel 1) and still drops out.

I have betwen me and the bed room

My computer monitor

1x 110cm LCD TV

1x bathroom (floor to roof tiles)

1x hall with 2 big glass and frame prints facing each other

1x bedroom wall

The thing is i can see next doors signal (and its running much stronger then mine) and its about 20m away from me with more stuff between there router and me.

The thing is i can see next doors signal (and its running much stronger then mine) and its about 20m away from me with more stuff between there router and me.

Check your router wireless settings. Some routers come with the wireless power set to 50% or so of max.

As for antennas, I would go for http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14664

as it has a short fly lead. This means you can connect it to the router and sit it up on a shelf up to 130cm away. Very handy for getting the antenna out from behind a barrier.

If your current router has removable antennas (check that as some are fixed) then it should be an RP-SMA connection like that antenna.

Its a dlink dir-300 - have you had any experience with them?

Nope but the specs say AnTEnnA Detachable Dipole Antenna (Reverse SMA Plug) so any RP-SMA antenna will fit.

After posting above i have been able to unscrew the Antenna - so 3rd party should be fine

Also broadcast is at 100% - i stuck the router on top of the bed side table, and now have full strength - i'll see what i can do about getting that adapter with the 130cm lead so i can hide the thing again.

After posting above i have been able to unscrew the Antenna - so 3rd party should be fine

Also broadcast is at 100% - i stuck the router on top of the bed side table, and now have full strength

Good stuff.

- i'll see what i can do about getting that adapter with the 130cm lead so i can hide the thing again.

It's just a higher gain antenna than the standard one with a fly lead built in.

Plenty of places have them

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...408C&spos=1

or any other brand with a shortish fly lead and a 5 dBi + omni directional antenna will do, just the TP-Links are fairly common and reasonably priced.