tantryl

The death of optical media

definately believe optical media is dying. i dont think its anything to worry about though. i mean just like we said good bye to the "tape" and VHS im sure well be fine without optical media. Plus means us using less plastic to produces thousands of discs probably a good thing IMHO. however i do believe they will still offer the physical alternative.

definately believe optical media is dying. i dont think its anything to worry about though. i mean just like we said good bye to the "tape" and VHS im sure well be fine without optical media. Plus means us using less plastic to produces thousands of discs probably a good thing IMHO. however i do believe they will still offer the physical alternative.

That's alright, we just need MOAR power to run the server farms which replace the CD/DVDs.

Edited by Jeruselem

Optical media I think has definitely past its golden era. Whilst it has some benefits and will likely stick around for quite some time yet, it's largely on the way down.

I haven't burnt anything in ages, and the only discs I've used recently are OS or recovery type discs.

I still use discs, but only when playing a BluRay.

I had to duplicate a disc last week and I went over to my bookshelf and opened up my spindle of 100 DVDs...that spindle has been sitting there for a very long time, untouched. Next to it is a spindle of CDRs...same deal. I have not touched them in a while.

I just never use discs anymore.

It use to be that I'd burn everything I had to disc, which I guess I considered a non volatile storage mechanism.

Now? Pffft, if I need that 4.5GB iSO, I'll just download it again.

Internet is much faster than when I used to keep everything on CD...and mass storage is insanely cheaper than it used to be.

Now? Pffft, if I need that 4.5GB iSO, I'll just download it again.

Internet is much faster than when I used to keep everything on CD...and mass storage is insanely cheaper than it used to be.

Yep me too. I just keep ISOs of everything.

optical kinda died for me around the time hdds got big enough for me to just use one of them and throw it at a friend. ie i now use a 640gb sammy as a drop stuff on and throw disc, much in the came way as before you would burn to a cd and never care if you see that cd ever again, this is similar - I want the hdd back but I'm not terribly worried about it.

We were supposed to get holographic storage YEARS ago.

I also was told I would have flying cars by the year 2000 too.

Where are they?

The way some people drive you can imagine the the same drivers in flying cars. You couldn't pull off the side of the road if you have an accident either. hmmm

No one thinks of the consoles! Although cartridges were leet :)

PSP Go or whatever has no physical media, same as one of the Nintendo DS models. I could see the next Wii not having a disc drive either. PS3 and 360 are also touted as general entertainment devices, with the PS3 having a very good blu-ray player. So there's no reason they'd go internet-only.

No. OSes still need to be placed on CDs

Nope they can actually be on Flash drives and memory cards as well.

Just that the cost of these is higher than a mass produced CD or DVD.

+1

Mac OS Lion will be on flash drives only, or digital download.

I've been burning movies and shows to Bluray recently since I bought a new drive.

Clearing up hundreds of GBs of space. I can breath again!

I'm making a list of all files/folders in excel and just numbering the discs. Will make searching for things much easier.

Edited by bushi

It's qutie easy to build in a mainboard boot function that downloads and installs an OS over the network or internet. They'll become more and more standard over time. Apple does it. Windows tried giving download only options a few years back but we weren't ready for it yet so they went back... but they'll try it again. Linux... is kind of irrelevant for the most part and will go along with wherever the architecture goes. Emergent OSs like Android and iOS obviously never bothered with optical.

I'm not suggesting optical media will disappear tomorrow, but it IS fading in computer usage.

You can get exception quality video over the net at 1GB/hr or more, and with 100-1,000GB plans available and the savings on pay TV & DVD/BD I can see that gaining significant ground over the next 5 years. The biggest issue there will not be the quality of the video but the licensing/copyright/woteva. But that's all gradually getting better and it's inevitable that the companies will introduce worldwide distribution standards at some point. Will that kill high quality optical media BD or whatever the next thing might? Probably not. But it has the potential to relegate it to the place vinyl & CDs are now - a nice option, but you're just going to rip it and play it from your phone/mp3 player anyway. Same applies to the "something satisfying about the box" argument - sure, for some people. But not enough to keep it the mainstream option.

I notice no-one has really chimed in on the potential next-optical-media thing. Blu Ray was a long time coming and people couldn't wait for it. But no-one seems even interested in the next step of optical media.

No. OSes still need to be placed on CDs

Nope they can actually be on Flash drives and memory cards as well.

Just that the cost of these is higher than a mass produced CD or DVD.

I'm still running into computers that don't support booting from USB.

I think optical is a format that won't vanish any time soon. Legacy systems will be as dependant on them as current systems are on tape, serial and dialup modems. It may not be consumer level stuff, but archive quality CD's are still one of the best long term storage methods available, even if their data density per dollar is pretty low. I suspect that if and when we start making physical long term archives for future generations, optical will be the medium of choice, primarily because if the reader technology is lost, it isn't too hard to extrapolate the technology by looking at the storage medium.

I'm not talking about them all vanishing and the record of them wiped from everyone's memory. I'm talking about them falling into relative disuse (like dialup, serial & tape).

The use of the word death in the title is not meant to be taken quite so seriously.

When going through all the various modes of our new TV it occurred to me that we were about to lose ( or at least, lose by half ) one of our few forms of exercise.... visiting the DVD/BluRay rental place.

/ congrats on the POTM. Would not have noticed this thread otherwise .

Edited by eveln

Maybe the word "death" is wrong, "decline" might be a better word for the title.

But the word "Death" gives the titles more impact :).

To me the death of optical media has come maybe not so much for console gaming or computers but for entertainment use of movie's and music.

tv's have usb built in so its just as easy to put your movie's on to usb or your htpc, media player, etc. and most cars have aux or usb inputs for music so a cd is not really needed.

i dont think we will see the end of a dvd or blu ray anytime soon though most of us wont really use them.

Maybe the word "death" is wrong, "decline" might be a better word for the title.

Plus it reminds us all that we're going to die.

Which I feel is an important motivator.

Hey you, yeah you, guy reading this! You're going to die. Get what needs doing done.

Plus it reminds us all that we're going to die.

Which I feel is an important motivator.

Hey you, yeah you, guy reading this! You're going to die. Get what needs doing done.

Fuck you, I just worked, came home and worked out out, now it's my weekend. I aint doing shit!

Oh, that wasn't aimed directly at me? Anyway.

Speaking of optical media, my new PC does not have my BD-ROM in it, and I have not needed it since I had it plugged in outside my system for installing Windows.

I think the near death of optical media wont be to far away into the future . But saying that I can't get over the fact that every year they come out with faster and faster burners BUT where the hell is the media to burn at 22~24x non fucking existent that's where yeah ok my 18x pioneer DVR212s will allow me to burn at 18x but only with certain 16x media and even then your not certain of getting a good burn more often than not it fails verification pffft pointless shit ......

I use a large 1TB WD Elements drive if I need to take lots of DATA somewhere or 4GB usb stick for not so much I don't think I've burnt a disk except for in the car for a bloody long time and then it was only an CD-RW full of my mp3's..... Digital D/L's still aren't worth doing here in NZ with it's restrictive high cost of DATA $2 per GB and slow ass adsl2+ for 90% of the country max speed being 24/1Mbps and only if you live next door to the cabinet or exchange.... SO no cd's or dvd's or bdr's wont be dying out here anytime soon

I can't say they're dead, maybe they've just lost popularity...

We know that optical media has lost its essence even when flashdrives were introduced. But it won't be dead.

Just like newspapers, for example, people could read the news online without buying a paper... but there are still millions of people who'll prefer to read news the traditional way.

We were supposed to get holographic storage YEARS ago.

I also was told I would have flying cars by the year 2000 too.

Where are they?