te0p

how to buy a Dell ultrasharp U 30 11

I have been monitor shopping for the past 3 weeks thinking which one to get.

Finally i settled on the Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" inch monitor.

I read another thread on here somewhere how they got a good discount on the U2711 27" version...buy using a discount they had combined with a special offer and they got a good deal...it might have been the 24" version i cant remember now.

So i have been waiting for an email to see if they had any deals....and then tonight i got home from work and there is a deal for %30 off selected monitors at dell !!

unfortunately it does not cover the 30" monitor.

But, i have been thinking the last few weeks..... if only i could talk to one of there sales staff and see if i can talk up a deal for myself seeing i will be sinking so much doh into the monitor.

So i used the online Chat service....it didnt work the other day, but worked tonight! (i may have been trying after hours and didnt realise)

I chatted to the lady and said straight out...what is the best deal you can do on the 30" rrp: $1599 ...she came back and said $1439today only. not bad....

Then i said...$1399 delivered. she went away and came back...DONE.

saved $200. now i am wondering if i could have got more off...hmm it did take a bit of discussion with her manager off chat though so i doubt they would have gone further.

She then rang me up and i paid over the phone a minute later.

7-10days till it is delivered. now i have to get my new PC organised.

So the lesson is....if you don't ask...you wont know.... online chat with a shop assistant would appear on the surface something that would yield very little. But i have to say the experience has been great!

What i find really interesting is this move to online shop assistants in digital stores through chat.... because online stores have always felt very regimented....theres the price and thats it. you cant barter... you cant say....cheaper for cash or another company has this for this price can you match.

It is like having a JB hifi with out the staff... JB will always give you a deal because it is built into the price and that is how things are done there.

I really like the digital store with a shop assistant. what a good idea. kudos too Dell...and the assistant was great.

This is the first time i have used it and it has been great! and she sounded really cute too... but they all do on the phone.

I will take a photo of the monitor when it is all set up on the desk for you all too drool over too.

Good on you for getting the discount, most people wouldn't have bothered trying. Still, that's a damn pricey monitor for what you get, I'd lean towards the 27" just because it's way cheaper and you're not missing out on much. I do prefer the good old 16:10 ratio of the 30" though.

I wouldn't mind one in the future, but it'd have to be with at least a 15-20% discount. Other manufacturers are putting out new high-res monitors, and the next iPad will have a 2048x1536 screen, so I think the market will be much richer for high resolution screens in the near future.

should of posted here I could of got it for $1359 no haggling and having to speak engrish with them for you just for using the right voucher ;)

edit: and I know you don't want to hear it but IIRC the U3012 is about to be released.

Edited by nesquick

I got the dell Ultrasharp U3011 last year, best purchase ever, couldn't live without it now. It's also my tv, so getting the most out of it.

nice deal!

i got my u2711 for $636...then 2 weeks later it went up to $899!

bargin!

[silver tongue] 1000XP

i just worked that out... felt like that.

should of posted here I could of got it for $1359 no haggling and having to speak engrish with them for you just for using the right voucher ;)

edit: and I know you don't want to hear it but IIRC the U3012 is about to be released.

You know i should have asked if anyone could get a good deal on the monitor on here....i was so wrapped up in asking about specs and other questions in this forum it didnt even occur to me to ask if any one could get a good deal... lucky im only out $40 and not $240.

I diidnt even know there was a U3012 on the horizon... even if i knew i dont think i would have waited....how long till they arrive on the market? And im sure you really wanted to tell me too LOL..

I got the dell Ultrasharp U3011 last year, best purchase ever, couldn't live without it now. It's also my tv, so getting the most out of it.

THIS. That is why i bought it in the end...i was budgeting $5 - 600.... but thought... i do everything through the monitor. Work, TV movies Gaming web surfing...

others said by a sick ass TV as a monitor...but i dont want to look at 40" at 1080 from 800mm away. And the image quality in the Dell monitor is so much better.

Also i can claim it back through my buisness if it is a office monitor which it is 70% of the time.

nice deal!

i got my u2711 for $636...then 2 weeks later it went up to $899!

bargin!

Yeh, i was tempted by the 27 considering the price hike for the extra 3" but i already have the AOC 24" i am using for the last 2 years... i wanted a dramatic size increase to really feel like i have upgraded.

U3011 $1279 atm http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...&redirect=1

I would personally ring up and complain about such a disparity so close to buying.

Thanks for that. I will give them a call monday. I had been waiting for that exact kind of special deal too. Just glad i did not pay $1599 Massive discount there.

And If you have the money and spend quite a bit of time infront of the PC games movies web surfing.... Get this monitor you will not be disappointed.

I just got it yesterday and was watching Hanna on Bluray through it. (i have it set up 2440x 1600 through DVi) and it is mind blowing the clarity, sharpness and color.

I played Red orcestra with it...wow... makes a huge difrence to your skill level... big ass monitors make everything bigger so picking out targets is dead easy, and also allows you to see enemys easier.

only draw back... it is a touch slow. not sure if that is the 60hz or the 7ms. but only a touch.,,,, and to be honest it could be more to do wtih my video card (GTX 9800+) takes alot of proccesor to decode a bluray..and games runnig a res to fill the screen in gaming could be a problem.

really good monitor....even if things are smaller ( i will play with DPi etc..) they are very sharp and clean so it is not really a bother.

no IPS is the panel type however IPS is always insisted on by anyone who wants color accuracy along with excellent viewing angles.

no IPS is the panel type however IPS is always insisted on by anyone who wants color accuracy along with excellent viewing angles.

Then what are the good fundamentals to look out for in a quality screen?

the color gamut, contrast ration, black saturation and what percentage adobe RBG it can cover I guess would be basic ones I would look at.

the color gamut, contrast ration, black saturation and what percentage adobe RBG it can cover I guess would be basic ones I would look at.

Is there a site that reviews this kind of thing?

Is there a site that reviews this kind of thing?

Pretty much anywhere that reviews screens lol. Also viewing angles are a biggie remember TN panels are shit for that.

Apparently if you call customer service they can sell you this monitor for $1099 AUD.

People on Overclockers Australia have bought just recently at that cost.

I'm trying to figure out what video card will run that thing well, BF3 max resolution. Any idea?

GTX580 would run it quiet well or any of the duel GPU solutions. My 5870 did very well in the beta but we'll have to see what happens on release.

Apparently if you call customer service they can sell you this monitor for $1099 AUD.

People on Overclockers Australia have bought just recently at that cost.

I'm trying to figure out what video card will run that thing well, BF3 max resolution. Any idea?

I run a Dual GTX480 in SLI which should run BF3 smoothly. I have Dell 3008WFP.

Edited by 2SHY

GTX580 would run it quiet well or any of the duel GPU solutions. My 5870 did very well in the beta but we'll have to see what happens on release.

Not only will the gtx580 run that quiet well. It should also run it quite well.

:p

Got one for $1100 delivered.

Will take around 6-9 days for delivery.

I don't have anything to plug it into ahahaaaa :(

Oh man.. i thought i got a good deal...turns out i was just a guinea pig for you guys to get better deals ..:(

Ohh welll....love the monitor...simply kick ass.

Yeh amonitor buying thread shuld be put up with reccomendations.