Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rofloorsander

Louis CK's FX show “Louie”

Posted Image

What is Louie?

Louie is a critically-acclaimed narrative, disconnected vignettes, and stand-up show from Louis CK, possibly the greatest stand-up comedian working today. Louis stars as an exaggerated version of himself; divorced, depressed, and raising two daughters in NYC. (he likes to point out in every interview that he's not actually miserable)

He not only stars, but writes, directs, edits, and produces, which gives him an absolutely unprecedented amount of creative control over his show. Essentially, FX gives him money and gets a show back, at no point approving scripts and actors, giving notes, etc. This results in one of the most refreshingly original shows on television that seamlessly switches between comedy and drama and narrative and standup.

Who is this Louis CK guy?

Louis CK is an incredibly prolific stand-up, producing a new hour of material each year for the past few years with no signs of slowing down. Hilarious, Chewed Up, and Shameless are his taped comedy specials and all of them are incredible. As much as I like this show, really nothing compares to the brilliance of his stand-up. Watch his specials!

You may have caught his previous show Lucky Louie, a traditional studio-audience sitcom, on HBO, which seems to get a love-it or hate-it reaction from fans. Luckily for the latter, Louie is nothing like Lucky Louie and is just about as far from the traditional sitcom as you can get.

credit and thanks to feedmyleg at Something Awful for this OP.

As for my own thoughts, the show ranges from something like this:

http://i52.tinypic.com/fbw75l.gif

to this: shit can't find it on youtube but basically, it can get very depressing. I'm talking about the Eddie episode especially. Season 1 is generally more funny, season 2 is generally more real/depressing.

Give it a chance to catch on.

If that's as good as it gets, I shalln't bother.

I like it, have watched since the start, as I loved 'Lucky Louie' (with Pamela Adlon from Californication who's also in this occasionally).

Some of it's pretty bleak, but I like that kind of comedy.

Having watched a heap of his standup, I will definitely give this show a chance.

He's a very funny man.

You should bother, Louis is awesome.

Your loss.

Don't get the impression that the show is like this though, otherwise you'll go in with the wrong frame of mine.

Pleb you homo. How are ya?

Edited by Rofloorsander

This made me LOL a LOT !....NSFW...some swearing :)

Edited by eveln

I've been watching this - just saw the ep this is from, and logged in to pimp this show.

Some of the funniest moments in. any. show. I've seen.

Thanks for the heads-up on Hilarious, Chewed Up, and Shameless.

Let's see if we can have a whole conversation with the titles of embedded Louis CK vids.