Dasa

HD7000 rumors

there is some info starting to pop up that may have some truth to it but time will tell

AMD will launch its first graphics card in the Radeon HD 7000 family during the fall and as expected it will be the first VLIW4 circuits at 28nm. The top models of the Radeon HD 7900 series aims higher and will according to recently leaked roadmaps use the AMD Graphics Core Next architecture and the high speed memory XDR2 from Rambus.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-grap...bus-memory.html

HD 7990 New Zealand GCN

HD 7970 Tahiti XT GCN 1000MHz 32CUs 2048ALUs 128TMUs 64ROPs 256bit XDR2 8.0Gbps 256GB / s 2GB 190W HP

HD 7950 Tahiti Pro GCN 900MHz 30CUs 1920ALUs 120TMUs 64ROPs 256bit XDR2 7.2Gbps 230GB / s 2GB 150W HP

HD 7870 Thames XT VLIW4 950MHz 24SIMDs 1536ALUs 96TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.8Gbps 186GB / s 2GB 120W HPL

HD 7850 Thames Pro VLIW4 850MHz 22SIMDs 1408ALUs 88TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.2Gbps 166GB / s 2GB 90W HPL

HD 7670 Lombok XT VLIW4 900MHz 12SIMDs 768ALUs 48TMUs 16ROPs 128bit GDDR5 5.0Gbps 80GB / s 1GB 60W HPL

HD 7570 Lombok Pro VLIW4 750MHz 12SIMDs 768ALUs 48TMUs 16ROPs 128bit GDDR5 4.0Gbps 64GB / s 1GB 50W HPL

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=t...-46257-1-1.html

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/08/30/trinity...peeds-and-more/

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...speeds-and-more

Edited by Dasa

Sweeet.

I remember reading a while ago that they're looking to switch from VLIW4 to a more GPGPU friendly architecture, but then I saw rumours that VLIW4 was still to be used in 7 series products my expectations dropped and lost interest a bit.

Now that it seems the top end cards will be using something completely different I'm all excited again :P

Thanks for the links/info Dasa.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/disp...s_at_Event.html

The demonstration is a proof-of-concept that AMD is on-track to deliver its first graphics chips made using 28nm process technology.

"Today, we provided an early look at our upcoming 28nm next-gen notebook discrete GPU, driving Codemasters’ cutting-edge driving simulator, Dirt 3, demonstrating that we have working 28nm technology in house and already delivering a great gaming experience," a statement by AMD reads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not much more info than that.

well that must be a top end GPU cause its using what I am 95% sure is mxm 3.0 so let the speculation begin.

also wtf kind of motherboard is that, looks like a notebook board with a pcie x1 slot on it *scratches head*

well that must be a top end GPU cause its using what I am 95% sure is mxm 3.0 so let the speculation begin.

also wtf kind of motherboard is that, looks like a notebook board with a pcie x1 slot on it *scratches head*

Agreed

Kinda cool though

New Zealand, Thames, Lombok, Tahiti? So where's Australia, the biggest island? :) Seriously though, it looks like a lp form factor machine - optical drive and the like are in the first photo. What really intrigues me is the size of the gpu heatsink and fan - back to single slot coolers!?

Remember how some of the first pictures leaked of either the HD 5000/6000 cards were of the low end HD x450? I think they'd be testing that kinda hardware... maybe :P

Oops :) Looking at those lists though, there are no 77xx series cards listed. Hope that there is something like the 5770/6770 cards, it seems odd they would skip them, as the 5,6,8 and 9 cards are all listed.

Can't you guys read? :P Its a notebook GPU, hence the motherboard and the size of the card and the cooler...

I knew it was a notebook GPU hence the MXM 3.0, however what we would call high end on a notebook is only mid range on a desktop.

Can't you guys read? :P Its a notebook GPU, hence the motherboard and the size of the card and the cooler...

I knew it was a notebook GPU hence the MXM 3.0, however what we would call high end on a notebook is only mid range on a desktop.

Wasn't actually talking to you :P

Yea I had a feeling you won't but wasn't sure.

most likely one of these 2 they were testing

HD 7870 Thames XT VLIW4 950MHz 24SIMDs 1536ALUs 96TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.8Gbps 186GB / s 2GB 120W HPL

HD 7850 Thames Pro VLIW4 850MHz 22SIMDs 1408ALUs 88TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.2Gbps 166GB / s 2GB 90W HPL

Edited by nesquick

http://news.techeye.net/chips/amd-rumoured...y-gpu-this-year

The dark satanic rumour mill has manufactured a hell on earth rumour that AMD will not ship any of its next-generation GPUs this year.

Word on the street appears to indicate that the Radeon 7000, which was earmarked for the end of the year will only be seen in 2012.

They can get away with this because Nvidia is following a similar cunning plan. Both are trying to make GPUs based on the 28nm fabrication process.

AMD is apparently in no hurry to push forward when its main rival can't be bothered. On Friday, Nordic Hardware said AMD is also seeing a huge demand for its Radeon 6000 line of GPUs.

Who needs to bring out something new when your old gear is still selling like hotcakes?

However, Nordic added that AMD was also having capacity problems. It is a problem that it had with the HD 6000 and orders from OEM manufacturers and distribution channels have been stacking up. Bringing out a new chip would just give it a bigger headache.

This is probably the reason why AMD has not come forward with news about the new gear other than a tease earlier last week. A move to 28nm would be a major step forward, and judging by previous jumps this should be heralded with lots of leaks and pre-publicity. There has been a loud sounding nothing from AMD.

The same thing applies to Nvidia, which has only been chatting about its mobile platforms. Mobile seems to be eating up the attention of the chipmakers at this point too.

The theory is that games are being developed for consoles first and then ported to PCs. Since consoles have lower specs, most PC users don't need to upgrade.

I call bollocks. AMD know to push home an advantage when they have one.

yer rumors of delays to 2012 have been around for months and with the move to 28nm its highly possible that at the very least the high end cards will come later and we may get somthing like the 4770 which came first for 40nm

I suppose it's more about there's no point if the competition isn't releasing anything new and given how our current stuff sells like hotcakes. Seriously, I'm looking at the monitor now and there isn't much 6950/6970 stock and the same thing for the GTX 560 Ti/570/580. So I'm guessing that the current cards will remain until the next gen Windows comes in?

Yeah I can't see AMD waiting till Nvidia release their stuff either - as someone on the previous page said they won't waste an advantage

They might not have a choice at this rate, given that, by the looks of things, delays seem to be caused by TSMC.

In order to address concerns of a difficult transition to 28nm, AMD demonstrated its next-generation 28nm GPU at IDF last month. The demo system featured a mobile variant of the next-gen GPU running DiRT 3. At the time, AMD told us to expect the GPU's release later this year.

Since then there have been rumors of a delay until 2012, but no official update from AMD. I suspect we'll get something to that effect soon enough, but today AMD let us know that it ran another public demonstration of 28nm GPU silicon - this time in Taiwan. The demo was apparently pretty similar to last time: a mobile 28nm GPU running a game. In this case the game was Dragon Age 2, but obviously there are no performance or power details to accompany the announcement.

AMD didn't provide any more info nor an update on the GPU's release timeframe. As with any major process transition, scaling to be able to produce mass quantities of chips on a new process can be extremely challenging. The move to 28nm is particularly rough because unlike 40nm, AMD didn't have a pipecleaner part to begin its process learnings on. How this impacted overall development remains to be seen.

Taken from http://www.anandtech.com/show/4932/amd-demos-28nm-gpu-again-no-update-on-availability

Fingers crossed for a late 2011 release.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/disp...ions_Again.html

Advanced Micro Devices has demonstrated a working example of its 28nm graphics processing unit known as the Radeon HD 7000. Unfortunately, the company did not unveil any information about revenue shipments of its latest products.

At Fusion 2011, AMD demonstrated its next generation graphics processor, based on the 28nm process technology. The demonstration was delivered by Matt Skynner, the head of AMD’s graphics unit, as part of his keynote titled, “Enabling the Best Visual Experience.” Skynner demonstrated a notebook-based version of AMD’s 28 nm next-generation graphics processor delivering “a smooth, high-resolution game experience” while playing Bioware’s popular role-playing title, Dragon Age 2, the game that was demonstrated earlier this week at the smartphone Apple iPhone 4S presentation.

“AMD strives to be at the forefront of every key inflection point in graphics technology,as demonstrated by our leadership in everything from process node transitions, to adoption of the latest graphics memory. Our pace-setting transition to the 28nm process node, coupled with new innovations in our underlying graphics architecture, is already generating excitement among the ODM community here in Taipei this week,” said Mr. Skinner.

The main reason why AMD essentially pre-announces its 28nm GPUs is because it wants to secure contracts for notebooks coming in sometimes in Q1, or most probably Q2, of 2012. We do not know AMD’s performance in securing BTS [back to school] contracts, hence, the actuial success remains to be determined by analysts like Jon Peddie.

The company remained tight-lipped about specifications and architectural peculiarities of the demonstrated Southern Islands graphics processor. Everything that is known at present is that the company's 28nm GPUs are already fully functional and the company is ready to formally introduce them.

The 28nm generation of AMD's graphics processors will be rather broad. In fact, it is rumoured that even within Southern Islands family there will be chips with VLIW4 architecture as well as more progressive so-called GCN (graphics core next) architecture.

Can't remember where... but i believe that I read that both TSMC and GF would be producing GPU's for AMD

http://www.globalfoundries.com/technology/28nm.aspx

All three SLP, HPP and LPH utilize high k metal gate (HKMG) technology for superior control of the channel with high on currents and low leakage current. Scheduled for risk production after the ramp of 32nm, 28nm is the second technology for high volume production at GLOBALFOUNDRIES that utilizes HKMG.

GLOBALFOUNDRIES' HKMG enables full scaling from 40nm in area and performance; i.e., 28nm delivers twice the gate density of industry standard 40nm processes and an SRAM cell size shrink of more than 50 percent (cell size of 0.120 square micrometers for dense single port). 28nm transistors offer up to 60% higher performance than 40nm at comparable leakage with up to 50% lower energy per switch and 50% lower static power. As a leading manufacturer of x86 CPU's, GLOBALFOUNDRIES well understands the constraints and trade-offs of performance, power and area.