Dasa

HD7000 rumors

Man, these just keep getting cheaper and cheaper. If it weren't for me buying a 2nd hand HD 5870, I think would have tried to grab a HD 7850 or better, if I could get the funds for it. HD 7950 being under $300 is awesome :-)

Edited by nobody813

So the '7990' edges out on top out of sheer performance but its more power hungry and noisier, I guess its one of those double edged swords but then again for the people who buy a $1k graphics card I would hope to think they wouldn't worry about power consumption lol

Edited by `angerfist

That Tahiti LE looks interesting. I haven't found any prices or stock yet though. Oh well, looks like an upgrade will be a Jan Bday present for me next year.

I'm sick of draining my loop if I want to remove/add anything. I work with hardware all day at work, the last thing I want to do when I get home is fiddle with my own system now.

Quick disconnects. Best investment ever. Got those when I made the loop for my current rig (see sig).

No more draining loop! Just disconnect GPU or CPU portion, do work, if block replaced just refill the portion of the loop you have out, then plug it all back in. :)

Technically AMD never released a 7990, They only gave partners help with their duel chip solutions. They never made a reference PCB for 7990. The 7990 was canceled due to the 6990 still being a viable duel chip upgrade at the time the full 7000 series was introduced. So its actually just AMD making an official 7990 to replace the now defunked 6990. Imo its waste of R&D money that should be going into single chip 8000 cards not and now outdated 7000 tech.

Technically AMD never released a 7990, They only gave partners help with their duel chip solutions. They never made a reference PCB for 7990. The 7990 was canceled due to the 6990 still being a viable duel chip upgrade at the time the full 7000 series was introduced. So its actually just AMD making an official 7990 to replace the now defunked 6990. Imo its waste of R&D money that should be going into single chip 8000 cards not and now outdated 7000 tech.

6990 isn't defunct, still running quite well in my system ;) (though Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider are making it whimper)

They need a new flagship card to show up and take marketing hype away from Titan as a stop gap before rolling out 8000 series. 7990 is the quickest way to churn something out that'll give them back fastest single card solution crown until then.

It is a bit of a waste of R&D, but as others have already made unofficial ones so I think the path has already been trodden and will be relatively easy to duplicate/tweak to come up with an official version.

I want to upgrade my 6990, but the 7990 will be too late in this gens release cycle to be worth the investment and the GTX690 has been out a while too. I'm looking at probably upgrading to a Haswell CPU when they come and ideally do GPU then too but by the looks of things I might have to wait till years end to maybe see brand new architecture dual chip cards.

AMD Radeon HD 7790 "Bonaire" Detailed Some More

Still wished they would have made a further cut down HD 7800 (HD 7830), but I guess they wouldn't make much money on that

apparently its gcn 2.0 so based on hd8000 tech guess they will have a legit excuse to re brand this card hd8000 when the time comes

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Radeo...-GPU,21447.html

The HD 7790 will feature 786 shader processors instead of the previously indicated 896, a clock rate of 1075 MHz and 2 GB of GDDR5 memory over a 128-bit interface and support DirectX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.3. According to a now redacted result posted on CL benchmark's website, the HD 7790 can be expected to provide 10 percent lower performance than a HD 7850.

Edited by Dasa

oem have a lot of power and when they say they want a new name to help them sell hardware to noobs amd and nvidia comply whether from pressure or just because they see $$ signs and dont care about the morals who knows

Edited by Dasa

first 7790 prices on staticice look to be ~$200 and so are gtx650ti boost which have 2g 192bit vram and is around 7850 performance

7790 looks to have great performance per watt being faster than 7770 but using only slightly more power

650ti boost on the other hand is a bit of a pig using closer to 7870 power

The $100-200 market is an absolute mess now thanks to those two releases. Though as you said above, the HD 7790 is damn efficient (I think it is just about the most efficient discrete card ever made :-P), and is a good indication of what we should see with the next lot of cards from AMD

Guest xyzzy frobozz

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2...umbering-scheme

I don't understand why they're doing this. I comprehend their reasoning but I still don't get why the change.

Maybe they had to fudge something up while they wait for Nvidia to catch up.

I'm not sure Nvidia has any catching up to do.

On average frames, 7970 is the top dog at the moment. However there are some pretty significant frame latency issues that have more of an impact on perceived performance quality than a few frames here or there. It's fantastic to get a few more avergae fromaes per second, bu when you're getting stutter every 4-5 seconds, I'll take the lower frames and smoother performance, thanks.

Also, this comment from AMD made me lol:

"For us the important thing about the graphics brand, you've got to put yourself in the shoes of a real end user who is trying to buy a computer rather than a tech journalist who is trying to figure out what the architecture is beneath it.

"Our branding is not about the architecture, end users don't care, they care what is the delivered performance."

I wonder whether it might be reasonable for end users to expect that one 7870 might at least be compatible with their other 7870? Because, at the moment, anyone who goes out and buys a 7870 XT and tries to Crossfire it with their vanilla 7870 is going to be disappointed.

So the quote above from AMD doesn't really wash with me.

EDIT: 7870

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

anyone who goes out and buys a 7870 XT and tries to Crossfire it with their vanilla 7970 is going to be disappointed.

Huh? I don't think anyone would crossfire a 7870 and a 7970. To be fair I don't see the issue with the quote either, they are just merely stating that the end user wants performance rather than figuring out the architecture behind it, which is 90% of people that i know who actually is interested in video cards and pc parts.

i assume you are referring to the myst edition cards (7870 xt) the only card you CAN and would crossfire it with is the 7950, but only when the 7870xt is overclocked.

As far as latency goes both camps have some work to do on multicard setups, granted some games perform worse then others its still restricted to multicard configs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...iew,3442-3.html