Dasa

HD7000 rumors

Guest xyzzy frobozz

anyone who goes out and buys a 7870 XT and tries to Crossfire it with their vanilla 7970 is going to be disappointed.

Huh? I don't think anyone would crossfire a 7870 and a 7970. To be fair I don't see the issue with the quote either, they are just merely stating that the end user wants performance rather than figuring out the architecture behind it, which is 90% of people that i know who actually is interested in video cards and pc parts.

Sorry, I mistyped.

Read it again. You can't Crossfire a 7870 with a 7870 XT. So I fail to see how that makes things easier for the consumer, 90% which would quite resonably be of the understanding that they are essentially the same card, as in the case of the 7970 and 7970GE.

So, in light of the fact that they have two completely different cards named the same (7870 & 7870XT), I fail to see how this reduces confusion. It would only be enthusiasts that understand the underlying architecture that know there is a difference, so it renders the statement as completely untrue.

As far as latency goes both camps have some work to do on multicard setups, granted some games perform worse then others its still restricted to multicard configs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...iew,3442-3.html

You're correct that it is generally worse on multi-card setups, but single cards from the AMD 7000 series are doing it as well:

AMD Comments on GPU Stuttering, Offers Driver Roadmap & Perspective on Benchmarking

You can skip straight to page 4 more more detail on single GPU AMD stutter:

AMD & Single-GPU Stuttering: Causes & Solutions

I have SLI 680s and the only game I notice it on is Far Cry 3, where it's pretty horrendous. Lucky it's such a dreadful game, I'm not really missing much!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

single card stutter on amd cards is unnoticeable in most games now thanks to driver updates but even before that it was only a few games that were bad

crossfire stutter isnt really much worse than when i had gtx480 sli but as always there is room to improve and if your getting 60fps with vsync enabled it fixes the stutter in most games

farcry3 runs fairly well for me but in open world games like that your always going to get the odd loading stutter which drivers cant fix

hopefully amd will get out some good crossfire drivers between now and then as nvidia did for the titan launch

I am trying to decide between getting another Nvidia 680 or going for a AMD solution. What do you think?

I am trying to decide between getting another Nvidia 680 or going for a AMD solution. What do you think?

if you already have a 680 it may be worth looking for another secondhand but with only 2g vram i would just keep it till better cards come out

My current 680 is 2GB, I can get the second one to be the 4GB model. Then I will have 6GB total.

no you wont all you will have is 2g of usable vram

unfortunately the way cf\sli work they need the same data loaded onto both cards so whichever one is the smallest thats your limit

I just found out about this today, maybe I've been out of the loop a bit or maybe it was kinda quietly announced recently. The 7990 does look impressive, seems to easily beat GTX690/GTX titan in everything. Easily the best card on the market right now, especially once you factor in the link below. Interestingly, this card is also slightly faster than crossfire 7970 GHz editions too. Maybe there is something to the new onboard crossfire bridge.

I saw this posted on OCAU: AMD improves Crossfire with new driver.

I've been waiting for a reference 7970 to pop up on the for sale forums somewhere at a reasonable price so I can grab one, I was considering a 7990 for a long time about a year ago, but it's taken them so long to get it released, and at a $1k price tag. I think I will just grab a second 7970 and it's always possible to get a 7990 later if I ever need more power than that (3-way crossfire board).

I would not buy one unless there was a waterblock available for it, which ads another $150ish to the cost, but would be so worth it because these are full speed tahiti cores, not toned down like has been done with previous dual core cards.

Lastly - found this high res pic, showing off the good bits.

http://www.pcper.com/files/review/2013-04-20/amd05.jpg

Edited by p0is0n

edit post and make it small please

done. sorry, forums always resize images for me I thought that happened for everyone.

it is very pretty :)

i'll be keeping a close eye on it too, very tempting