Dasa

HD7000 rumors

Radeon HD 7000 Revealed: AMD to Mix GCN with VLIW4 & VLIW5 Architectures

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...5-Architectures

"

Starting next week, AMD is going to organize Tech Days in several destinations around the globe, such as London or Paris - during which the company is going to present 28nm Radeon HD 7000 series.

There is a lot of rumors flying around the web, some of which are spun by AMD themselves to raise confusion, as the Radeon HD 7000 series is going to mix the existing VLIW4 and VLIW5 architectures with the "Graphics Core Next" (GCN), introduced during June's Fusion Development Summit held in Bellevue, WA.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/...hitectures.aspx

Radeon HD7970XT:

2048 processing cores 1ghz

128 Texture Memory Units

3GB GDDR5 (384bit) @ 5.5ghz

MSRP $450

Radeon HD7970PRO:

1920 processing cores @ ???

120 Texture Memory Units

1.5GB GDDR5 (384/256bit) @ 5ghz

MSRP $350

3g 384bit is nice and if true i guess at the end of the day gddr5 was just cheaper and there not to worried about a bit of extra power use

Edited by Dasa

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/2508...0-series-priced

To hit market with US $449/549 price tag

We hear whispers of the final launch price of AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 7000 series cards and it looks as though the faster variation of the Tahiti chip will hit US $549 price tag while the slower one should be priced at US $449.

Of course, bear in mind that nothing is carved in stone here as AMD still has the option and ample time to change the price, or as they call it, adjust it, even a few days before the actual launch. The same thing goes for the name of the card as these are only finallized when partners boxes are sent for printing. But for now, the HD 7950 and the HD 7970 are the names most partners are using and these US $449/549 are the prices that came from AMD.

As you already know, AMD planned to ship the cards in the first week of December as holiday shopping is always a nice timeframe for a launch. Unfortunately, TSMC is the one to blame as we are hearing that even the yields of the 40nm HD 6900 series are still not great and TSMC is also the reason why HD 7000 got pushed to early-January shipping date, or in time for CES 2012.

Am I right in thinking their new performance variants are released after the initial cards come out?

Thinking to get a temp powerful card now, as the waiting game sucks..and I've been playing that for a while now...

If their released straight after I dont mind waiting but if its another 2-3 months... Then Ill buy now.

high end (single gpu) cards should be out mid to late next month if there is truth to the rumours but if its a soft launch there may be a shortage of stock for a while depending on demand and yield

time will tell

Edited by Dasa

unless yields are really good it seems strange they would release their high end cards straight away without ironing out the bugs.

unless yields are really good it seems strange they would release their high end cards straight away without ironing out the bugs.

they are still having trouble with 40nm yields how many years latter? so yields dont have to be really good just not really bad i guess

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series Single-GPU Graphics Card Price-Points Surface

AMD is on course to releasing its latest "Southern Islands" GPU family, and a fleet of desktop graphics card SKUs based on it, which will be led by a new high-performance GPU, codenamed "Tahiti", which will make up Radeon HD 7900 series; followed by performance GPU "Pitcairn", on which HD 7800 series will be based; "Thames" and "Lombok" making up the rest of the lineup. According to a report by DonanimHaber, HD 7970 (working name) is expected to be competitive with (or outperform) GeForce GTX 580, and priced at US $499. The HD 7950 will be competitive with (again, or outperform) GeForce GTX 570, being priced at US $399.

Things get interesting with Pitcairn, which is the successor of "Barts". This performance GPU is designed for sweet-spot SKUs, such as HD 7870 and HD 7850, which will be competitive with GeForce GTX 560 Ti / GTX 560, and priced at US $299 and $199, respectively. The Radeon HD 7670 will be particularly expensive, priced at US $179, followed by HD 7650 at $119. Further, it was reported that HD 7970 and HD 7950 will have a standard memory size of 3 GB.

that seems a bit off

considering 6870 already competes with gtx560

560ti oc is a bit of a odd one beating even gtx570 in some tests but half the performance in others

and gtx570 sits between 6950 and 6970 performance at the moment while being priced much the same as 6970

so for that to be true amd would have to be pulling another bulldozer and making a slower more expensive chip than what they currently have

Yeah, I'm not sure what to take from it

I'm confused after looking at older article, showing how the shader count has increased

Rumours are rumours :-P

maybe the article is badly worded. 7870 and 7850 will outperform the GTX560 and 560Ti while hitting the same price range perhaps.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to take from it

I'm confused after looking at older article, showing how the shader count has increased

Rumours are rumours :-P

that they are and as with the amd fx8150 some of the early info for them was a bit hard to swallow to yet in the end its just how it was

still if the 7970 can clearly beat gtx580 in the majority of dx11 tests while using less power and overclocking well it could still be a great gpu and a big improvement over 6970

so both nvidia and amd are doing a little pre crissy rebadging of existing low end mobile products

shame it looks like there wont even be a 28nm pipe cleaner this year so i have my doubts to us seeing any stock of 28nm high end gpu's next month maybe a review if we are lucky but that could well be pushed back a month to

that seems a bit off

considering 6870 already competes with gtx560

560ti oc is a bit of a odd one beating even gtx570 in some tests but half the performance in others

and gtx570 sits between 6950 and 6970 performance at the moment while being priced much the same as 6970

so for that to be true amd would have to be pulling another bulldozer and making a slower more expensive chip than what they currently have

Yeah, well with the new architecture for the 7900 series, it's completely new and performance wise will/should likely act differently in games too so anything is possible.

But the way ATI (AMD graphics department will always be that to me :p ) have been going lately I can't see them being ok with equal performance of current gen stuff.

maybe the article is badly worded. 7870 and 7850 will outperform the GTX560 and 560Ti while hitting the same price range perhaps.

That's what I was thinking

That's what I was thinking

your probably right since translations can often be a bit back the front

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/2513...7000-is-384-bit

Radeon HD 7000 is 384-bit

High-end SKUs, of course

On top of the new 28nm manufacturing process, courtesy of TSMC, AMD’s new HD 7000 series will also feature other exciting novelties.

We have learned that high end Southern Islands parts will feature a 384-bit memory interface. We‘ve already told you in that the memory of choice is GDDR5.

Naturally some mainstream and entry level parts will still feature a slower, cut down version of the memory engine, due to necessity for lower TDPs and production costs, but most of you know how it goes. Some parts end up with 384-bit memory, yet others, like mobile GPUs for example have to make do with 128-bit. Fewer bits translate into lower TDPs and cheaper cards.

Our sources are still telling us that the official launch is early next year and only rebrands will make it to this year, not the actual 28nm parts.