colonelmustardc

Vcore too high?

Hey guys,

Just upgraded to a 2500k on a GA-Z68XP-UD5 with a Corsair H-100 strapped to it. Gave overclocking a go today and i managed to hit 5Ghz at a Vcore of 1.52. I understand this is pretty high but Real Temp said my max temps over an hour and a half of prime 95 blend test was 72 degrees.

Is high temperature the only implication of a high Vcore or am i reducing the life of (lifing?) the chip in some other way?

Thanks for the quick replies guys, brought it back down to 4.2Ghz at a nice 1.35V :)

Still can't find that goddam beta CPU-Z though, but gigabytes easytune6 seems to be reporting the correct voltage.

Thanks again.

you should get it a bit lower than that, im currently running 1.325 for 4.5 gig for my 2600k temps dont go over 55 with prime.

these chips are so easy to overclock its awsome.

im running 4250mhz with ht disabled and cpu v at auto

cpu-z reports 1.25-1.3v under load

if i enabled llc it goes up to ~1.33v and it will run 4.4-4.5ghz ok but it sometimes struggles to post

to go higher i need to enable pll overvotlage which for me means a beta bios a and no standby so i dont bother to crank it up very often but when i do it can do ~4.8ghz with ~1.4v

i got my 2500k to 4.5ghz on 1.29v, ive still got that thing enabled which reduces cpu speed on idle.

I have mine at 4.2 @ 1.24v, I set the voltage to offset mode, -.03v and it idles at 1.6ghz, .96v and loads at 1.24v 4.2, although if its idling at 4.2 (if power saving isnt on) it will be at 1.29v

I'm at 4Ghz with HT on and i just left it on Auto Vcore - sits at 1.295 under load and drops back to sweet fuck all Vcore when idle.

I did run it at 1.58v (5.5Ghz HT on) when i did my overclocks and PI runs and it still runs fine now, but there is no way i'd run at those voltage for 24/7. Definately stick around the 1.35v mark for 24/7.

Edited by smakme7757