Sign in to follow this  
jdm_com_au

Need to setup a network

I just find that updating anti virus on one PC and then doing a 30 minute scan is time consuming enough, without having to do it on 4 PC's and 2 laptops. Which is why I'd prefer to have anti virus on one machine and have the others connect online through that one. I'm all ears for better options. Which is why I asked here before spending a cent.

No-one's mentioned this yet, but even if the internet is piped through PC #1 and shared to the rest, the others will still need their own antivirus as afaik the traffic is not monitored nor scanned, simply passed through (viruses and all).

Take the modem/router Optus give you and do this:

ADSL Phone Line Cable plugged into the Router/Modem >

Devices plugged into the Router/Modem: Port 1-PC#1; Port 2-PC#2; Port 3-PC#3; Port 4-Switch >

Devices plugged into the Switch: PC#4; Laptop #1; Laptop #2

Or an alternate setup as mentioned is to simply plug PC#1-4 into the Modem/Router, then use the wireless function of the Modem/Router to connect the two laptops.

I'm guessing that Optus won't provide me with the latest, fastest and best modem, so it might pay to buy one myself. The other thing is, just because there will (should) be 4 PC's and two laptops by mid next year, that doesn't mean there won't be more later. So maybe an 8 port doo-dad would be the go. With performance and reliability being the keys, what would you guys ( and girls if applicable ) recommend?

It's been a while since I dealt with Optus but you are most likely right, what they supply as a standard modem will be an alcatel unit or a netgear - maybe call them first and find out what it is.

If it's a modem/ router, then an 8 port switch can be had for around $60 at their cheapest. Plug computers in the switch and then the switch into modem/ router and away you go.

If you go for something like this @ around the $145 mark. It will do all your routing/ DSL modeming/ USB storage sharing, gigabit networking and if you ever opted for it, wireless too. You could always expand at a later point by plugging in an 8 port switch. FWIW I have no experience with this unit, it seems on paper to meet your criteria for a neat all in one.

When dealing with ADSL modem/ routers, there are some variables worth considering and will determine how well the modem actually works for you. The chipset and software that comes with the modem can be a big deal with the quality you get. Generally speaking, the further you are from the exchange, the more fussy it is to be with your equipment. For example, some believe that the Broadcom chips that come with some modems are better for those living closer to the RIM for stability. I have had some success dealing with RIM connected people by swapping in the rather cheap Netcomm NB6 modems.

I guess it just depends on your budget and what Optus will supply. $60 on an 8 port switch connecting it to the supplied modem/ router (check with Optus first in regards to what the standard modem is) is a good place to start. If you find it terrible and crappy, look at some ADSL modem/ router alternatives. If you want to bite the bullet and go with something that can handle all your immediate needs including easily sharing USB connected storage, something like the Netgear linked above could be worth investigating.

Generally speaking, the further you are from the exchange, the more fussy it is to be with your equipment.

Yep Broadcom chipsets all the way for high attenuation/noisy phone lines.

Been there done that, where anything but a Broadcom chipset continually drops my high attenuation (59dB) line.

For cheap and cheerful the TP-Link TD-W8960N is good, but only 10/100 LAN. My current modem is the Billion 7800N. Broadcom chipset, wireless N and Gigabit LAN. Works very well.

Current connection time (without a dropout) is 15 Day(s) 18:19:01 hours.

While not a Broadcom chipset the Fritz!Box is also supposed to be ok on long lines and is apparently a very nice piece of kit, although there do appear to be some issues. At least AVM seem to be very proactive in trying to fix them.

Bloody expensive though at around $300.00 to $400.00 each

http://fritzbox.com.au/

Dedicated AVM forum on Whirlpool here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/82?g=295

So can I check how close I am to the exchange by plugging in an address somewhere? As I haven't moved in yet, I don't have a valid phone number for the new address yet.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ can give you a roughish idea.

Note that the above is only a best guess approximation as the phone lines may run in weird and wonderful directions from the exchange.

It also does not account for any RIMs on the line.

It's the best that can be done unless the previous occupants had ADSL and you can ask them about sync speeds.

According to the link, I am ( will be ) 239 metres as the crow flies from the exchange and approx. 394 metres by cable. Sounds fairly close. :D

So I will probably be buying this toy to set up the network. My next question is, what would I need to hook up my external H/D's? I need 2, but 3 would be better.

According to the link, I am ( will be ) 239 metres as the crow flies from the exchange and approx. 394 metres by cable. Sounds fairly close. :D

So I will probably be buying this toy to set up the network. My next question is, what would I need to hook up my external H/D's? I need 2, but 3 would be better.

If you want to share multiple drives on the LAN then you need a NAS or file server PC. As far as I know modems with a USB port can only handle one drive per USB port. Don't think using a USB hub will work.

For a file server PC something based around an Intel Atom or AMD E350 CPU is cheap to run. I am currently using an E-350 based system running WHS VII for torrenting/file serving.