Sign in to follow this  
Smokie

Go Crossfire or Just get a beefy card?

Ok so now i have decided on the motherboard the next thing I have to work out is do I grab a $70 second hand 4870 allowing me to crossfire with the one i already have or hand over the $200 for a 6870? Once again finding it hard to justify the extra $130 or will there be a much larger performance increase with the 6870 over two 4870's?

EDIT: Also just read the 5870's is a brilliant card on par with the 6870. Doesn't make sense but is this true?

Edited by Smokie

msy has 6870 1g $169

but they also have 6950 1g $209 which is great value and well worth the extra if you are near one of there stores

two 4870 1g will be faster than one 6870 and will sometimes be faster than one 6950

but they lack dx11 and crossfire is never 100%

if you can aford it the 6950 is owrth the extra

but that extra 4870 is nice and cheap and might be good enough to keep you going till next gen cards get here in a few months times if you wanted to save up for one of them

im on the looking for a second 5770 (about on par with 4870) which i will run until the end of the year or so, and determine then if i need to upgrade my PC. for the $70-80 investment, you might find an inprovment of about 40% in performance, so it is a pretty cheap option. Just depends if your PSU will run 2x 4870s. I remember them being fairly power hungry.