Sign in to follow this  
c0nc0n

Headset Fail

Hey guys and girls,

After a year and a bit, my trusty 5Hv2 has broken. Now, I think they're out of warranty, so an RMA isn't first on the agenda.

I was wondering is there any way to make sure they're broken?

Symptoms:

- It cannot distinguish between left and right channel, sounds like its just coming from one source.

I've tried this on my X-Fi card and my onboard, same result, it's reading as if it was mono, both playing at the same time when testing on side.

Now, what's a replacement headset for around $150ish? I'm in NZ, and with Christmas coming up, I can definitely stretch my budget

Cheers,

c0nc0n

Hey guys and girls,

After a year and a bit, my trusty 5Hv2 has broken. Now, I think they're out of warranty, so an RMA isn't first on the agenda.

I was wondering is there any way to make sure they're broken?

Symptoms:

- It cannot distinguish between left and right channel, sounds like its just coming from one source.

I've tried this on my X-Fi card and my onboard, same result, it's reading as if it was mono, both playing at the same time when testing on side.

Now, what's a replacement headset for around $150ish? I'm in NZ, and with Christmas coming up, I can definitely stretch my budget

Cheers,

c0nc0n

Sounds like you might have a short between the two ear speakers somewhere.

Multimeter For The Win, failing that flexing the cable might find it but you run the risk of shorting the signal wires out to ground and blowing the sound output of yer mobo/audio car completely.

Testing is relatively easy - my system with onboard sound lets me fiddle with the sound setup (stereo, quad, 5.1, etc), and one of the options of Stereo is to independantly test Left and Right channels.

Ok sound issues, when its plugged it, on my X-Fi console, I have the ability to click a speaker and it will play a sound from that side, now it plays it from both sides simultaneously no matter what.

When I plug it into any mp3 player or my iPhone, the sound is all distorted and the high end is completely not there and the bass sounds like static.

Also in the X-Fi console, there is the CMSS3D tester, where it will play a sound of a helicopter circling around you, it's like an ability to test your sound spacing really, now when I play it, it just sounds like it's coming from all directions, but when it's directly behind me (there is a sound indicator on screen for where the sound is coming from) the sound disappears and same when it's directly in front of me, gradually fading out as it gets closer to these two points.

I'm probably gonna buy an attachable mic to my shirt or something, but yeah, it's probably going to be on my early christmas list to buy my headphones.

I had a think last night, around $250~ for everything, I thought maybe the Audio-Technica AD700 would be good at that price range.

Anything else you guys would recommend? Senn HD555s? 595s?

Are you saying the problem is in his head somewhere?

:P

Alright guys and girls

I've come down to two headsets.

Senn HD555 and Audio-Technica AD700

Opinions?

Audio-Technica AD700 got some great reviews. If you want something cheaper, check Plantronics Audio 770.

Are you saying the problem is in his head somewhere?

:P

He's now so narrow-minded he only needs one eardrum?

I have the Senn HD555. Best set of headphones I have ever owned or used. I don't know about the AD700 though.

Looks like either way you are going to be happy... so go for the one you think looks better or is cheaper :)

I say Senn...coz im a sennheiser fanboi. Quite apart from that, senheisers are great headphones. Ive used some on a number of occasions, most of which I have owned. They are hardy and comfortable not to mention the fact that they produce good sound. My present pair doesnt even show up on the website anymore, at least to my knowledge, because its that old. If you are going to go for a sennheiser, youve got my vote.