Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Wow.. quiet and powerful!

Well I ended up grabbing the NH-D14 fro my new build, even though it is ugly as hell. I replaced the stock HSF yesterday and was impressed to see a drop of 25 degrees or so under load, but did notice that it had suddenly become a lot louder.

I also bought the Asus GTX 580, and at first I thought it was this that was making all the extra noise, but when I listened closely it was actually the Noctua fans. So I tried out the ULNAs (ultra low noise adapter) that came with it and the case became *so* much quieter, but with only a modest (couple of degrees) increase in temps under load. Right now I am stress testing with Intel Burn Test and the core maxes are 50-54 degrees with the fractal case fans on lowest settings and the sides on.

Even though I had heard it was quiet, I thought the 580 was easily going to be the noisiest part of the rig, but it seems like I was worrying about nothing, as it can't really be heard at idle. Of course, it weighs a ton and is actually bending significantly down on the right hand side!

So far I am *very impressed by the cooling ability coupled with quiet operation of these bad boys, but I want to take it further and after reading this article I plan to try replacing the D14s fans with some Scythe SlipStream 800rpms if I can get any.

Haven't done any overclocking with the new fans yet either, but I've got a feeling it's going to be a dream!

Posted Image

Hows the new GPU? Apart from it being quiet. Did you end up going the ebay route?

congrats on the rig

i wouldnt bother with those scythe fans the slipstreams are not good fans

you paid for expensive fans you may as well use them

Posted Image

Hows the new GPU? Apart from it being quiet. Did you end up going the ebay route?

Haha thanks I love the sarcasm :), I haven't had much time to test it properly yet, as I've been having some headaches with organizing files and backing up etc.. nah, I didn't go ebay, sounded too risky. My local store just got one in yesterday so I got it from there, $50 more than the reference but it was worth it to me after I listened to some noise comparisons online. Will report back here after doing some benches and maybe even (shock) play some games :P

congrats on the rig

i wouldnt bother with those scythe fans the slipstreams are not good fans

you paid for expensive fans you may as well use them

The guy in that link I posted above seemed to have a similar opinion and was surprised when the slipstreams came out at the top of all his tests for ratio of noise to airflow.. I respect your opinion though, do you have any ideas about his results? I must admit though, with the ulnas on I think I am going to be pretty happy with these for a while, but it will give me something else to mess around with down the road..

I run my D14 off the modo header with Cool'n'quiet turned on (so it dynamically turns the voltage up and down to lower the RPM) and most of the time they spin at about 540rpm according to speed fan and are inaudible.

If you are worried about that GFX card you could get some Scythe ninja wire or cable tie it up to relieve the stress on the back side of the card.

The guy in that link I posted above seemed to have a similar opinion and was surprised when the slipstreams came out at the top of all his tests for ratio of noise to airflow.. I respect your opinion though, do you have any ideas about his results? I must admit though, with the ulnas on I think I am going to be pretty happy with these for a while, but it will give me something else to mess around with down the road..

then again it looks like the 140mm slipstream competes better than the 120mm versions did

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/d...p_12.html#sect0

although they had there place when there wasnt really any restriction against there flow as they suffered from low pressure

Edited by Dasa

Does the XL case come with the back panel fan controller like my R2 did? If you attach the cooler fans to that, you could run them at very low when you're just idling and browsing and whatever, and when you go to play a game, crank them up a bit. It works well for my case fans, though my Antec water cooler fans have never had to go above 600rpm.

I was also impressed with the noise of my 570, I can't hear it at idle. In games it does ramp up and get loud when it gets hotter, but I could safely raise the ramp temp by like 20 degrees. The only thing that's even slightly stressed my 570 is Shogun 2 with everything maxed out. And that's a 19GB game. The hottest it's got is about 70 degrees, and it's a reference cooler. So I guess your more powerful card with a better cooler should run cooler and quieter.

After some of your suggestions, I'm going to do some experimenting with fans and that ninja wire sounds nifty too. I do have the fan controller, currently got two of the case fans hooked up to it, didn't even think if trying it with the CPU fan.. would it be alright to hook the case fans and the CPU fan splitter to it? I'm guessing so, as its drawing power from a molex connector?

I've been a bit ambitious and trying to get the CPU to 5.0Ghz stable on prime95, so far the only way I have been able to keep it stable for more than 10minutes is by disabling multi-threading in the bios and changing the memory profile to standard. For this I am putting 1.475v into it, with the Multi Step Load Line at 8. Obviously, my temps were pretty high at this level, cores spiking between 73 and 84 under full load. Tried tweaking the memory but doesn't seem to like it much, especially when I OC the CPU.

The GTX580 seems pretty happy at 945Mhz with 1.138v, haven't tried tweaking the memory yet. Temps are in the low 50's under load. Is this voltage too high?

Anyway, here is my 3Dmark score with the above settings:

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1847472

I got a higher score with 4.7 CPU and multi-threading on, memory profile extreme:

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1844455

Obviously I don't plan to run at these settings 24/7, but it has been fun messing around and seeing what I can get away with.

I am a little confuse about the Multi Step Load Line (MSLL), which replaces LLC in the latest BIOS. I am under the impression that at settings above 5 it bumps up the voltage under load, at settings below 5 lowers it and at 5 does neither? Obviously, I would like to lower the voltages as much as possible, but i don;t seem to be able to get above 43. without having the MSLL set to at least 6.. if anyone could shed some light on this and any other ideas about reducing the voltage at these high OC it would be great.

I am thinking 4.7 might be a nice 24/7 OC, for which I need 1.375v and MSLL set to 6.. does this sound okay for constant use or too high? The max temps are 65-72 at these settings.

Edited by chilli

And that's a 19GB game.

Lol, whats that got to do with anything? You weren't implying that the size of a game makes it graphically superior, were you?

And that's a 19GB game.

Lol, whats that got to do with anything? You weren't implying that the size of a game makes it graphically superior, were you?

No, just that there's a fuckload of data that may need to be called up at any time and processed by the GPU. But it's partly true that a larger game may be graphically superior, due the large size of high quality texture files and such - in this case, it's a combination of good looking game and tons of game content.

Chilli, you seem to be kicking along really well with your overclocking. I can't wait to give my 2500k a try on my Antec water cooler. But it'll be my first time with these chips too, so I don't know the details of what settings you should be using and stuff.

And that's a 19GB game.

No, just that there's a fuckload of data that may need to be called up at any time and processed by the GPU.

Funny quote of the day.