Sign in to follow this  
azamoth

Seriously- stop being so lazy!

Besides being in NSW and having no idea how to conduct business...

How about you guys update the Kitlog?

I am a subscriber and if I pull out the last 6 issues of Atomic, they are identical...

Am I paying for some lazy office worker to copy and paste?

I just re-subscribed as well for another year, so if I don't see an update in the kit log (usually around page 65 incase you didn't realise) next issue,

... my card will bounce.

Stop being so lazy NSW.

Oh, and how many time are you gonna tell us how to cut a square space in a piece of metal? If you guys are running out ideas, just say so and talk about that rather than regurgitating the same crap.

Stop being so lazy x3.

lol @ 'stop being lazy', despite being unable to search for multiple threads on the issue.

Hey Azamoth.

I just thought i'd go through and show you how many times this has been mentioned in the last month of 2.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=45082

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=44257

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=42983

I will pull you up on something though. Kitlog isn't identical their have been some slight changes over the last few months but not much. The big issue is that most of the that's listed in kitlog currently is EOL or you cant purchase anymore and it really reflects badly on the mag it self. I went and visited a site for work on monday which is a call center of about 60 people the guys noticed I was here to have a look at their comms room but asked me if I wanted to see something funny.

You know what they showed me?

Kitlog from the last issue of atomic. These guys are just are just a call center for foxtel but law and behold their they are 4 guys huddled around an atomic mag laughing at the kit log section because of how bad it was and it really mad me sad.

The shit part about it is that I don't see it changing any time soon either. I'll quote the editor on that one.

And yeah, the KitLog is most definitely a, shall we call it, work in progress. You try working on a mag like Atomic without a fulltime tech writer!

Myself and another forum member offered to help some time we did some updated builds and kept the current format that kitlog currently uses but there is a challenge in that atomic would have to contact each vendor for print-ready art which hawkeye explained to me can be a very time-consuming task hence why they stick to what they've had in the office and reviewed.

I dunno what the plans are for the current tech writer or what the plans are for the mag or what is happening at all but that's a little bit of history for you. :P

lol @ 'stop being lazy', despite being unable to search for multiple threads on the issue.

Nice one HERO.

Mudg3 has hit it on the head, this gets mentioned a lot, but it's just the way it is, for now at least.

The Kitlog used to change a lot more than it does, but some things have NEVER changed. I went back 5 years, and the Logitech Z5500 speakers are still there! The current one should have similarly priced high quality headphones, or go all out with a home theatre amp and speakers set up.

But notably at that time, there's also a freaking vapour phase change cooling kit at $1100 for the Intel version of the Extreme PC, and a water cooling kit for the AMD version. I'm thinking the current Perfect PC should be packing an XPSC Rasa water cooling kit.

There is a difference between being lazy and not wanting to waste time on something. You can figure out which category I fall in yourself!

I was not going to waste time searching for some other shmucks post about kitlog, because I want to say it and its my post and so I have the right to post what I want and say what I want.

If its not being updated... then bloody get rid of it, and chuck something else in there instead... 4 pages of advertisements surely would be more motivating?

I appreciate the work on this magazine as any kind of publication- and its great... and nothing is perfect...

But from my understanding, if you cant do a job properly then don't do it... our 240V 50Hz tool cutting appliances know that, so why don't we?

Update kitlog, or get rid of it! I dont give a shit about pictures... who reads kit log for pictures? I would prefer a spreadsheet with components and pricing...

Every been to Low Yat Plaza? If not, then you don't know what I am talking about...

Why don't we just get rid of the LAN BOX and HTPC rig and chop that kit log in half. They're not exactly hard to plan out by ourselves and aren't necessarily needed.

Save a couple pages for more other content in the magazine no?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Nice one HERO.
No problemo, Non-Hero.

There is a difference between being lazy and not wanting to waste time on something. You can figure out which category I fall in yourself!

I was not going to waste time searching for some other shmucks post about kitlog, because I want to say it and its my post and so I have the right to post what I want and say what I want.

If its not being updated... then bloody get rid of it, and chuck something else in there instead... 4 pages of advertisements surely would be more motivating?

I appreciate the work on this magazine as any kind of publication- and its great... and nothing is perfect...

But from my understanding, if you cant do a job properly then don't do it... our 240V 50Hz tool cutting appliances know that, so why don't we?

Update kitlog, or get rid of it! I dont give a shit about pictures... who reads kit log for pictures? I would prefer a spreadsheet with components and pricing...

Every been to Low Yat Plaza? If not, then you don't know what I am talking about...

Yep totally agree with you. I for one would love kitlog to stay but not in its current form as you can see :P

Thanks Nich once again for contributing to discussion.

No no, non-Hero, thank you for creating a discussion out of a lazy person who felt the need to have a rant and try to pull off an ultimatum!

How about you guys update the Kitlog?

Hi Azamoth. I've found that you'll get better advice in the Atomic 'Building and Troubleshooting' Forum than from Kitlog.

There, if you post a thread asking about the rig you're trying to create, you will find helpful Atomic community members who are still engaged and expert on the subject of PC buliding, and who will be happy to help you.

I suggest you post your working budget, and a description of what you'll use the PC for, to help them advise you. I've always received simply excellent advice from the Atomic community.

Good luck with your build.

Edited by Virtuoso

hehe this thread is funny.

'hi I just re-subbed to your mag, which implies I am a current subber and have read your mag before. I noticed Kitlog doesn't get updated as much as I would like. please update it or I will not re-sub'.

why resub if you don't like the content? as an existing reader, you know what you're getting into... FWIW I don't subscribe, or read the mag any more, cause it doesn't have enough new stuff for my liking. I made that decision.

I resub coz Its an awesome mag... but its not perfect (nothing is)and unfortunately the kit log fails.

New tech comes out every day, yet the log stays the same for months...

The most useful thing I have found and enjoyed, have been the game modding and tweaking sections.. I say more of that.

Have Atomic conducted a survey for its subscribers to see what more or less of things they want?

@ the OP, I gave them everything they need a few months ago to update kitlog, mudg3 outlined why it wasn't updated but I can send you a build for a specific price range if you need.

@ the OP, I gave them everything they need a few months ago to update kitlog, mudg3 outlined why it wasn't updated but I can send you a build for a specific price range if you need.

Its not about me not being able to know how to compile a list of components for a new build but more of a what's the point of having one if every issue is identical. I can imagine the time it takes to put together a magazine and the difficulties involved in doing so within 1 months time, but copying and pasting is not cool :(

I can also understand that the kitlog is biased by personal preference... but surely that personal preference would change over the course of a month or couple of months.

If I was to tell my customers that I couldn't provide the level of service they expect and we say we can't deliver because of staffing issues or time constraints, they will tell me where to go even if my reason is true. And you know what will happen in the long run? They will stop being my customer and they bad mouth me to the people they know.

If in the hardware section a motherboard gets rated as 95% and then you turn the page to see one that's not as good in the kitlog, a discontinuity is revealed and for people looking for such things can easily spot them out and feel really disappointed.

At the end of the day that is 4 pages that can either be reduced to a table with 10x more info and less pictures, or simply just a current price list of latest parts split in categories (cpu, mb, RAM etc) so that most atomicans who know what components to buy to fit together can just pull out their own bits and create their own kitlog.

If I was to tell my customers that I couldn't provide the level of service they expect and we say we can't deliver because of staffing issues or time constraints, they will tell me where to go even if my reason is true. And you know what will happen in the long run? They will stop being my customer and they bad mouth me to the people they know.

True. I recently came to a similar conclusion on Atomic, and have stopped being a customer after 10 or so years of loyal subscribing and advocating, unfortunately. But that was my personal decision, and everyone else has to make their own decision about what they will or wont tolerate in terms of customer service and quality.

At the end of the day that is 4 pages that can either be reduced to a table with 10x more info and less pictures, or simply just a current price list of latest parts split in categories (cpu, mb, RAM etc) so that most atomicans who know what components to buy to fit together can just pull out their own bits and create their own kitlog.

Or, if there is neither enough staff nor concern to update those four pages, then be transparent about it and remove the four pages altogether.

Of course, I'm sure most of us would prefer that there was enough staff with enough carefactor to keep the existing four pages in the magazine, and keep them updated.

Its not about me not being able to know how to compile a list of components for a new build but more of a what's the point of having one if every issue is identical. I can imagine the time it takes to put together a magazine and the difficulties involved in doing so within 1 months time, but copying and pasting is not cool :(

I can also understand that the kitlog is biased by personal preference... but surely that personal preference would change over the course of a month or couple of months.

If in the hardware section a motherboard gets rated as 95% and then you turn the page to see one that's not as good in the kitlog, a discontinuity is revealed and for people looking for such things can easily spot them out and feel really disappointed.

Well I tried, they didn't use the material which was their own prerogative.

Well, I think most of this has been addressed elsewhere, but one thing I will point out is that we expanded KitLog to four pages at the request of the community...

And the latest one even has a pointer to these very forums :)

Having that link to the forums is important, because everyone wants something different for some budgetary, aesthetic or other requirement; and the Build forum really is the best place for that and there are really talented and committed individuals who will help there.

2c: I think it should be 2 builds, one should be OTT for others to drool over, the other should be the stock standard BFYB build of the day.

It's too late to make that change for this issue (we send next week, and I don't have the content to fill those pages), but I'm more than happy to take this on board for next issue if folks want to return to two builds.

It's too late to make that change for this issue (we send next week, and I don't have the content to fill those pages), but I'm more than happy to take this on board for next issue if folks want to return to two builds.

well that would allow more pages for advertising, no one is going to notice :P

Dont get rid of them... make a PC console to match PS3 and Xbox. That would atleats be alot more interesting. And if you make it a special project it could be in your building/modding section of your mag.

Posted Image

FYI, it doesn't quite work like that :)

Ads, much like copy, need to be generated and supplied to us well ahead of deadline, and this the sales for those ads have to be done even further ahead of time. Our flatplan (the document that defines page layout, ad placement) for this issue, for instance, has been pretty much locked down for a week already. Every page allocated to actual copy must be written at this point, because there's not time to sell more ads.

Also, sounds like you're the only one who wants less content in the mag... :P