Sign in to follow this  
Necessity

Trouble pushing Q6600 higher...

So, I currently have a Q6600 G0 at 3.5ghz and I can't seem to push it any further. I went out and bought a CM Hyper 212+ heatsink and recently acquired some Corsair Dominator ddr2 1066 ram hoping the higher ram speed would let me easily push the Q6600 with a higher FSB. But it seems I can't. I have an asus P5KR motherboard which has the P35 chipset but no matter what I do I can't push higher.

I've fiddled around with north bridge voltages @ 1.55v, setting dram voltage to 2.1v and even having to set the cpu voltage to 1.4875v which, from what I've read, is more in the 3.8ghz territory....?

I've always had the divider set at 1:1 or 4:5 so that shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas?

Some motherboards aren't great with quad overclocking - take for instance my previous motherboard, a DFI DK-X48-T2RSB PLUS. It was one of the best overclocking boards at the time for dual core CPU's (I've seen them take E8600's to well beyond 5Ghz), but it was crap with quads - I couldn't get my Q9650 past about 3.8Ghz stable without putting enough voltage through the NB to cook the board.

Maybe your particular Q6600 isn't that great an overclocker?? Some of the later G0 stepping CPU's were not that great at overclocking, nor were the original ones (forget the stepping number).

Like G-relk said, sometimes its luck of the draw - and that goes for every component.

Well that's a bummer! I'm hoping it's more an error on my part, being new to overclocking I suspect that could be the case :P

The B3 were the crap overclockers, most of the G0 were actually pretty good as IIRC the power needed dropped from 105w to 95w or 85w and so basically, was identical but a lot cooler.

I've struggled to get any higher than 3.8 with my q6600 although, I think that P35 motherboards don't handle 400+FSB very well, to test this, drop your CPU multi down, and then see what the highest FSB you can get it, for example 8x450 should get you 3.6ghz at about 1.4v or if that doesn't work, try 7x450 and if that doesnt work... then try 7x440 etc..

If you're interested, I have 3.8 stable using 9x425 and running the ram at 1:1 although with your ram, you could try running it at 4:5 as its 1066.

You might also get a more stable OC if you start turning off things in bios, like some of the CPU advanced features that don't do a lot.

Had the something with my old 3500+ thing die and i bought a new one that managed to get another 500hmz out of.

Definitely luck of the draw.

Even if his luck isn't in the top few percentile, he could probably still squeeze some more out of this if he wants to give it a go :)

I do remember the average being around the 3.8Ghz mark with 4Ghz~ being good for the C0.

Also remember that it could be the RAM or MOBO holding it back.

How much RAM do you have in the board? all slots max?

I had hell with that once, thing was a beast with 2 Slots filled, 4 slots and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Also... I'm a charge again!!! Woo!!!

thats a good point about the RAM, my machine wouldn't even POST with 4 sticks in it LOL

I've tried with 6 possible sticks to find a good combination, but just doesnt work.

Edited by p0is(+)n

I believe (but don't quote me) that it was an issue with the newer memory controllers.

Still have that issue now with my 1090T.

Just try taking two sticks out if this is the case, if it works decide between high amount of memory / high cpu speed.

Sell spare memory on Trademart.

4) Profit.

Even my G0 had a bit of trouble exceeding 3.6 without at least water. Keep in mind that 3.5 is a 1.1GHz OC

Also, turn off HyperThreading, EIST, and shit like that. Screws the 6600 for OC pretty bad once you're that high up.

Edited by g0t.w00t?